Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Panhandle Jay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:28 pm

FYI - Nobody complain about our nonconference home schedule when the state school has this monstrosity. Their best game at home is us and then..... La Tech?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/nebr ... eb3e1.html
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:FYI - Nobody complain about our nonconference home schedule when the state school has this monstrosity. Their best game at home is us and then..... La Tech?

Dirk would beg to differ
Waylon Van Smack

Postby section202jay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Waylon Van Smack wrote:
Panhandle Jay wrote:FYI - Nobody complain about our nonconference home schedule when the state school has this monstrosity. Their best game at home is us and then..... La Tech?

Dirk would beg to differ

There is some truth to that. UNL will probably go 7-6 with that schedule.

It's just annoying because it's Dirk taking another dig at CU any possible way that he can.
section202jay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 pm

he can't help himself

#ObsessionNoted
cujaysfan

Postby LJay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:03 pm

That assumes UN-Lincoln wins their first game at the Wooden and that's not likely. Should they lose Their first game as expected they are likely to be playing Portland and Cal State-Northridge. So basically they have KU and Clemson on the road and Dayton neutral. CU gets a shitty RPI game in Lincoln and UN-Lincoln gets a good home game in us.

PS - Talk about a shitty home schedule!!!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Waylon Van Smack wrote:

Dirk would beg to differ

NU gets a home game against a top 25 CU, while we get a road game at dumpsterville NU. So that's the main difference in the schedule. But of course Dirk wouldn't get that.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Trifecta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:41 pm

I just couldn't see where Dirk could make that statement so definitively, so I wasted 10 minutes of my life to see if the data supported his claim. Here's some fun I had with Google Sheets (sorry for the format...our board doesn't allow Google docs to imbed so I uploaded to a meme generator :lol: )

I used the final 2016 RPI rankings from the NCAA website. Of course last year's performance is no indicator of this year's ranking, and RPI isn't without it's flaws, but this is just unbiased raw data. I'm sure Dirk would argue in favor of "name recognition" or the "eye test" or conference affilation when comparing the schedules. But that is to be expected...Dirk's basketball knowledge is remedial at best. He probably sees Akron and Buffalo as cupcakes instead of Top 100 opponents.

In the end, CU's non-con opponent average RPI is 160.5, while UNL's is 155.22. So technically Dirk could make his argument by an extremely small margin. But wait! The numbers themselves aren't all the story.

A few notes/observations:

-For the multi-team events (MTE)/ exempt tournaments, I took the average of all possible opponents. UNL's tournament is probably slightly better, and has more "name" teams. However, considering the draws of each team and likely opponents I think the Jays will see a better RPI team on average. I think it's likely (admitted bias) that Creighton beats Washington St, wins a close game against NC State, and sees St. Joseph in the finals. On the flip side, it's likely that UNL loses Dayton, which immediately matches them against RPI-killer Portland, and then likely against New Mexico or CSNU (rather than Va Tech or Texas A&M, who's high RPI anchors this tourney).

-Both teams have shit games against teams that won't factor into an RPI formula

-UNL obviously has the best game (Kansas), while CU has the worst game (Longwood)

-UNL has one top-100 game, while CU has three (outside of the head-to-head).

-Someone on Twitter suggested that KU/Wisky and ASU/Clemson are washes. Which prompted Dirk to accuse that person of being delusional. KU is the better team, but it's not ridiculous. The MTEs are close enough to be washes. And ASU is actually the better game. Look again Dirk.

-UNL has the luxury of having CU on their schedule, while CU has the burden of having UNL. This skews the data more. Even though everything is based off of last season's rankings, the Jays will likely have large variance in their RPI this upcoming season. Most outlets are projecting us as a top 25 team, so I don't think it's outlandish to think our RPI will be at least 50 spots higher this season. Meanwhile, UNL's RPI is likely to remain the same range (150-175).

In conclusion, I want some of what Dirk is smoking :D He is the ultimate troll trying to take advantage of the slowest week of the year. If everything goes UNL's way, and Creighton shits the bed in the MTE...then yes Dirk, Nebraska's non-con is tougher. The fact that he says it with such conviction to those arguing with him on Twitter is hilarious. Dirk, I think you better take a closer look...
Last edited by Trifecta on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trifecta

Postby Eye of the Jay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 pm

"When I look at our schedule I can't help but think we're building for an at large resume in the NCAA tournament." Hahahahahaha oh Timmy you always keep life interesting - maybe a CBI resume if you can somehow beat the bottom feeders of the BIG and the Portlands of your non-con to claw to .500. NCAA tourney?!? I know it's just head coach media hype but it gave me a good laugh nonetheless. Don't get me wrong I'll root for the Skers in most games they're not playing us, but that is for pure, selfish, mathematical purposes.
Eye of the Jay

Postby 1620Jay » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:46 am

Trifecta wrote:I just couldn't see where Dirk could make that statement so definitively, so I wasted 10 minutes of my life to see if the data supported his claim. Here's some fun I had with Google Sheets (sorry for the format...our board doesn't allow Google docs to imbed so I uploaded to a meme generator :lol: )

I used the final 2016 RPI rankings from the NCAA website. Of course last year's performance is no indicator of this year's ranking, and RPI isn't without it's flaws, but this is just unbiased raw data. I'm sure Dirk would argue in favor of "name recognition" or the "eye test" or conference affilation when comparing the schedules. But that is to be expected...Dirk's basketball knowledge is remedial at best. He probably sees Akron and Buffalo as cupcakes instead of Top 100 opponents.

In the end, CU's non-con opponent average RPI is 160.5, while UNL's is 155.22. So technically Dirk could make his argument by an extremely small margin. But wait! The numbers themselves aren't all the story.

-For the multi-team events (MTE)/ exempt tournaments, I took the average of all possible opponents. UNL's tournament is probably slightly better, and has more "name" teams. However, considering the draws of each team and likely opponents I think the Jays will see a better RPI team on average. I think it's likely (admitted bias) that Creighton beats Washington St, wins a close game against NC State, and sees St. Joseph in the finals. On the flip side, it's likely that UNL loses Dayton, which immediately matches them against RPI-killer Portland, and then likely against New Mexico or CSNU (rather than Va Tech or Texas A&M, who's high RPI anchors this tourney).

-UNL obviously has the best game (Kansas), while CU has the worst game (Longwood)

-Someone on Twitter suggested that KU/Wisky and ASU/Clemson are washes. Which prompted Dirk to accuse that person of being delusional. KU is the better team, but it's not ridiculous. The MTEs are close enough to be washes. And ASU is actually the better game. Look again Dirk.

-UNL has the luxury of having CU on their schedule, while CU has the burden of having UNL. This skews the data more. Even though everything is based off of last season's rankings, the Jays will likely have large variance in their RPI this upcoming season. Most outlets are projecting us as a top 25 team, so I don't think it's outlandish to think our RPI will be at least 50 spots higher this season. Meanwhile, UNL's RPI is likely to remain the same range (150-175).

In conclusion, I want some of what Dirk is smoking :D He is the ultimate troll trying to take advantage of the slowest week of the year. If everything goes UNL's way, and Creighton shits the bed in the MTE...then yes Dirk, Nebraska's non-con is tougher. The fact that he says it with such conviction to those arguing with him on Twitter is hilarious. Dirk, I think you better take a closer look...

Dirk was probably trolling, but I'm assuming he was thinking in terms of CU playing Nebraska's schedule and vice versa. With either schedule I would think the Jays win out at home. Main difference obviously would be the Jays playing @KU instead of getting Wiscy at home. Wiscy I think will be a win at home...playing at the Phog would probably be a double digit loss. Also, the path to the title in the tournament would be more difficult in the Wooden than it is for the Paradise Jam. Dayton(25), UCLA(110) A&M(18) is probably more daunting than Washington St(217) NC ST(119)St Joe (21). Either way, I think you're right that it's not clearcut and in the end the Non Con SOS may favor the Jays as I don't see NU playing UCLA or A&M from the above.
1620Jay

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:07 am

1620Jay wrote:
Trifecta wrote:I just couldn't see where Dirk could make that statement so definitively, so I wasted 10 minutes of my life to see if the data supported his claim. Here's some fun I had with Google Sheets (sorry for the format...our board doesn't allow Google docs to imbed so I uploaded to a meme generator :lol: )

Dirk was probably trolling, but I'm assuming he was thinking in terms of CU playing Nebraska's schedule and vice versa. With either schedule I would think the Jays win out at home. Main difference obviously would be the Jays playing @KU instead of getting Wiscy at home. Wiscy I think will be a win at home...playing at the Phog would probably be a double digit loss. Also, the path to the title in the tournament would be more difficult in the Wooden than it is for the Paradise Jam. Dayton(25), UCLA(110) A&M(18) is probably more daunting than Washington St(217) NC ST(119)St Joe (21). Either way, I think you're right that it's not clearcut and in the end the Non Con SOS may favor the Jays as I don't see NU playing UCLA or A&M from the above.

I think the points of the post, 1620, are:
1. UNL's non-con looks better because they get to play us; ours looks worse because we have to play them
2. The results of the respective tournaments will ultimately have an impact on the noncon RPI. The likelihood of UNL getting past Dayton is not good...the likelihood that they get A&M is very remote...but for now they make UNL's prospective noncon look good.
3. I think we all wish our noncon was a little stronger but, this year in particular, we are a bit of a scheduling quandary, for lack of a better term. Top schools (like Kansas) do not look at us a guarantee win (and we could possibly beat them) but they are not 100% sure we will be good enough to make their resume look better. Obviously, Kansas probably doesn't need any help on their resume. But for schools hoping to be in the top 1/3 of a power conference, they are not sure what to make of us yet. I would imagine that if we finish top 3/4 in the Big East this year, keep signing sweet recruiting classes, then home and home deals with better schools will be easier because we will be a more known commodity.
4. It's a REALLY good thing UNL got the Kanas game...cause without it (and assuming they lose to Dayton), their noncon would be CU and a whole lotta nuttin.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops