Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby AttyAlum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:I'm okay with playing @Tulsa because I think they're respectable and have good athletes that might prep us for conference play but @UNT is just bad bad bad.

IF we are going to continue to recruit Texas, keep the UNT series, but don't renew it or extend it. We only have to go down there once anyway and it is probably too late to get a different series put together for next year. Plus, I'd still rather play UNT here than a SWAC team.

Ideally, for recruiting purposes once again, try to get a series with Texas A&M or Texas (yea right) or even one of the other Texas programs in the Big 12 or American Athletic Conference.

I don't mind playing down there because I think we have a good chance to pull kids out of there regularly. We already have Austin and Groselle with LG3 joining them next year...
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby wildjays » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

FreddyMac wrote:
Old MVC Days wrote:I thought we signed a St. Joe's series through like 2017?

We did initially but I'm pretty sure it's done. Not much to get from a game in Philly now that we play in the area all the time now. It's not exactly been a great non-conference bump for us either.

Sorry Freddy, but this season's St. Joe's game was the second of a 4-game series. It is around for a couple more seasons.

Game @Tulsa finishes a 4 game series with them.

To get North Texas on the schedule last season, they also agreed to a Home-Home played in 14-15 and 15-16. So it was sort of a 2-for-1 but a year break after the first game.

@ Loyola game is probably '15-16.

St. Mary's home game as a return from Bracketbusters is next season.

Then there is the rumor about a Home-Home starting next season with either K-State or Oklahoma. First game is at home.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby LynchMob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
Old MVC Days wrote:I'm okay with playing @Tulsa because I think they're respectable and have good athletes that might prep us for conference play but @UNT is just bad bad bad.

IF we are going to continue to recruit Texas, keep the UNT series, but don't renew it or extend it. We only have to go down there once anyway and it is probably too late to get a different series put together for next year. Plus, I'd still rather play UNT here than a SWAC team.

Ideally, for recruiting purposes once again, try to get a series with Texas A&M or Texas (yea right) or even one of the other Texas programs in the Big 12 or American Athletic Conference.

I don't mind playing down there because I think we have a good chance to pull kids out of there regularly. We already have Austin and Groselle with LG3 joining them next year...

Problem with most of Texas is that the decent schools are in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock and College Station might as well be Mars. Just as easy for most recruits to get to Omaha as those two. It would be very hard to schedule Baylor or Texas, plus we would probably lose which doesn't help much. North Texas has the best combination of not being totally terrible and being just north of DFW.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby jays911 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 pm

LynchMob wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:

Problem with most of Texas is that the decent schools are in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock and College Station might as well be Mars. Just as easy for most recruits to get to Omaha as those two. It would be very hard to schedule Baylor or Texas, plus we would probably lose which doesn't help much. North Texas has the best combination of not being totally terrible and being just north of DFW.

Lose to Baylor or UT? I think not.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby LynchMob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:59 pm

On the road in a couple years time? I wouldn't bet on us right now. Sure we might win by 50 but playing the odds most years that's going to be a really tough game on the road against a top-40-ish program.
LynchMob

Postby section202jay » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 am

Every time I think of playing North Texas I think back to the opening game of last season where everybody, including myself, was so frightened to play them but we won by a ton and they ended up being one of our worst opponents by the end of the year.

I would like to see a neutral site game in Sioux Falls against Wisconsin or Minnesota early on in the year when Sioux Falls can be enjoyed in non-winter weather.
section202jay

Postby FreddyMac » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:46 am

wildjays wrote:Sorry Freddy, but this season's St. Joe's game was the second of a 4-game series. It is around for a couple more seasons.

Martelli was nice enough to agree to end it so unless something falls through for them such as them not being able to get a game then it's done. I've heard that from more than one person now.
FreddyMac

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Show the damned flag... 2 games against Philly teams won't hurt Creighton. Nxt seasons St Joe's game would be at the Clink, not in Philly (we played at St Joe's this season).

Playing St Mary's is also a pretty good game - whether at home or in their YMCA gym. Until this mythical B-12 H&H is announced, we should not be discounting reasonably good games against our former mid major brethren.

If S'cuse and L'ville can play the Sweet Stepsisters of the Poor Convent, and 10-11 other NAIA lvl non-conference games, we can afford to play a couple of good mid major teams. Agreed- no SWAC or MEAC teams.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby taa71458 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 pm

How awesome would it be to be involved in something like this? Definitely jealous...although all four teams will lose in LA after spending the day at Disneyland
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10444857/michigan-state-north-carolina-florida-texas-new-4-team-event
taa71458

Postby LynchMob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm

taa71458 wrote:How awesome would it be to be involved in something like this? Definitely jealous...although all four teams will lose in LA after spending the day at Disneyland
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10444857/michigan-state-north-carolina-florida-texas-new-4-team-event

Damn that Longhorn Network deal was worth a lot. No other way to justify that invite.
LynchMob

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops