Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Old MVC Days » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 pm

There's still time to add some good ones. But yeah, there's no IU or OU thus far.

I know everyone has their opinions but it'd be good to add SIU. Hinson said he wants to travel and play on the road. They're going to be top 150 rpi. The excitement to renew that rivalry would be awesome. I always had a mutual respect for SIU during our toughest rivalry games against them. Never had that for Wichita State.

In my Creighton schedule fantasy land we schedule SIU, Missouri, South Dakota State, UNO and Oregon H/H starting this year at Clink for our five remaining games left in the non-con.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby AttyAlum » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Well perhaps the staff plans to renew the Oklahoma series...as it turned out to be a good one. And of course, no word yet on the BE/PAC12 Challenge...still plenty of time to work it out for the upcoming season. Please help out our Barry and SIU.

I think our series with ASU is what is left of the BE/PAc 12 challenge since AZ & UCLA refused to participate. There is no challenge, but rather a "scheduling agreement" between the conferences.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby vjay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 am

This is purely a hypothetical listing using the already known opponents and a somewhat reasonable wish list...

How would you feel about this schedule if it were to pan out?

Fri., Nov. 11 - vs. Longwood (known opponent, presumed buy game)
Mon., Nov. 14 - vs. Oral Roberts (4th game as part of Paradise Jam, presumed buy game)

Fri., Nov. 18 - vs. Montana (at Paradise Jam - U.S. Virgin Islands)
Sun., Nov. 20 - vs. North Carolina State/Loyola (IL) (at Paradise Jam)
Mon., Nov. 21 - vs. Mississippi/Washington State/St. Joseph's/Oral Roberts (at Paradise Jam)
**The likely opening opponent in the Paradise Jam is between Montana, Oral Roberts and Loyola (IL). Feel free to interchange the parts of the teams listed for the games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 18. If they really get creative, then the game on Nov. 14 could be against St. Joseph's as part of the H/H that was abandoned a few years ago. CU would then return the game to St. Joe's in 2017-18 season.

Sat., Nov. 26 - vs. Tennessee-Martin (known opponent, presumed buy game)
Tue., Nov. 29 - vs. Start of H/H (Big 12 school, Wichita State - return game in 17-18 season)
**You can eliminate Kansas and Texas for any potential H/H, but all other schools I would think are gettable. Ras mentioned in the one OWH article that Wichita CC is a possibility at some point. Including based on the "where's there's smoke, there's fire" adage.

Sun., Dec. 4 - at Nebraska (known opponent, H/H series)
Wed., Dec. 7 - at Arizona State (known opponent, end of H/H series)
Sat., Dec. 10 - vs. Buy Game (opponent TBD)
**I believe finals would occur Dec. 12-16, so no games during this week...
Sat., Dec. 17 - vs. Start of H/H (SEC school - return game in 18-19 season)
**You can eliminate Kentucky for any potential H/H, but all other schools should be gettable. Arkansas, Alabama, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M would all make sense. Missouri would make a lot of sense, but they stink right now...

Tue., Dec. 20 - at Start of H/H (Pac-12 school - return game in 17-18)
**You can eliminate Arizona and probably UCLA, but all others I think would at least listen. Once we entered the Big East, I thought that Colorado would be a natural to schedule for a H/H. Not sure if Mac and their coach have a relationship where they wouldn't play each other in the regular season (CU did scrimmage with them a couple years ago, IIRC).

Wed., Dec. 28 - vs. Buy Game (opponent TBD)
**A good "lets get the holidays out of your system" game before Big East play begins.

This would give CU 7 home games, 3 road games and 3 neutral site games. I've heard Ras mention before that 8 is the magic number for non-con home games, so maybe one of the H/H series wouldn't happen and be replaced with a buy game.

However, with the above schedule and return games involved and adding in that we'd have Nebraska and a likely Gavitt Game at home in 2017-18, that would make for a schedule breakdown the following year of 9 home, 2 road and 2 neutral site games (was mentioned somewhere that CU was a high possibility for the CBE in Kansas City in 17-18 season - which previously has provided for 2 home buy games and 2 neutral site games in KC).
vjay

Postby section202jay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 am

I did the same thing on my phone last night, vjay. Just not dates.

It would be good to take advantage of the tournament rules and schedule Montana or Oral Roberts. Both are decent to good programs. ORU has been down recently though.
section202jay

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 pm

wildjays wrote:
Jet915 wrote:So are we for sure out of the Gavitt games? Seems like there are a couple of other Big East teams that play in early November tourney's like we do.

John Bishop has been very adamant on Twitter that the Jays are not playing in the Gavitt Games. It would definitely lead me to believe that is the case. Villanova (Charleston Classic) and Xavier (Puerto Rico) play in tourneys the same opening week as well that start on Thursday that week and the other two teams in question. Marquette plays in the 2K Classic that is the first weekend. They shouldn't have any problem playing.

My guess is that because of the travel involved, Creighton and Xavier are the 2 teams out of the Gavitt Games this year. Villanova could probably make it work if their game is on Tuesday like maybe at Ohio State. Or they get a crappy road matchup at Penn St. or Rutgers. Then they can still get to Charleston to play their tourney.

Someone just tweeted that Marquette will not be in the Gavitt games.
Jet915

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:25 am

vjay wrote:This is purely a hypothetical listing using the already known opponents and a somewhat reasonable wish list...

How would you feel about this schedule if it were to pan out?

Fri., Nov. 11 - vs. Longwood (known opponent, presumed buy game)
Mon., Nov. 14 - vs. Oral Roberts (4th game as part of Paradise Jam, presumed buy game)

Fri., Nov. 18 - vs. Montana (at Paradise Jam - U.S. Virgin Islands)
Sun., Nov. 20 - vs. North Carolina State/Loyola (IL) (at Paradise Jam)
Mon., Nov. 21 - vs. Mississippi/Washington State/St. Joseph's/Oral Roberts (at Paradise Jam)
**The likely opening opponent in the Paradise Jam is between Montana, Oral Roberts and Loyola (IL). Feel free to interchange the parts of the teams listed for the games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 18. If they really get creative, then the game on Nov. 14 could be against St. Joseph's as part of the H/H that was abandoned a few years ago. CU would then return the game to St. Joe's in 2017-18 season.

Sat., Nov. 26 - vs. Tennessee-Martin (known opponent, presumed buy game)
Tue., Nov. 29 - vs. Start of H/H (Big 12 school, Wichita State - return game in 17-18 season)
**You can eliminate Kansas and Texas for any potential H/H, but all other schools I would think are gettable. Ras mentioned in the one OWH article that Wichita CC is a possibility at some point. Including based on the "where's there's smoke, there's fire" adage.

Sun., Dec. 4 - at Nebraska (known opponent, H/H series)
Wed., Dec. 7 - at Arizona State (known opponent, end of H/H series)
Sat., Dec. 10 - vs. Buy Game (opponent TBD)
**I believe finals would occur Dec. 12-16, so no games during this week...
Sat., Dec. 17 - vs. Start of H/H (SEC school - return game in 18-19 season)
**You can eliminate Kentucky for any potential H/H, but all other schools should be gettable. Arkansas, Alabama, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M would all make sense. Missouri would make a lot of sense, but they stink right now...

Tue., Dec. 20 - at Start of H/H (Pac-12 school - return game in 17-18)
**You can eliminate Arizona and probably UCLA, but all others I think would at least listen. Once we entered the Big East, I thought that Colorado would be a natural to schedule for a H/H. Not sure if Mac and their coach have a relationship where they wouldn't play each other in the regular season (CU did scrimmage with them a couple years ago, IIRC).

Wed., Dec. 28 - vs. Buy Game (opponent TBD)
**A good "lets get the holidays out of your system" game before Big East play begins.

This would give CU 7 home games, 3 road games and 3 neutral site games. I've heard Ras mention before that 8 is the magic number for non-con home games, so maybe one of the H/H series wouldn't happen and be replaced with a buy game.

However, with the above schedule and return games involved and adding in that we'd have Nebraska and a likely Gavitt Game at home in 2017-18, that would make for a schedule breakdown the following year of 9 home, 2 road and 2 neutral site games (was mentioned somewhere that CU was a high possibility for the CBE in Kansas City in 17-18 season - which previously has provided for 2 home buy games and 2 neutral site games in KC).

So if we have 3-4 new H/H games I hope we go for for BIG NAME, BIG TIME programs, we really need to toughen up now that we've got studs coming in. LEt's get back to Hickey/McManus philosophy of "Any Team, Anywhere, Anytime."
whiteandblue77

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Just for clarity, accuracy, and not to confuse new folks coming aboard:

Creighton's Independent years: 1948 - 1977. Coach John J. Red McManus was our basketball coach/AD from 1959-69. He coined the moniker - The Traveling Bluejays. One of his many quotes was: "Border to border, coast to coast, we'll play anyone, anytime, and anywhere". The "Traveling Bluejay" era was the heyday of Creighton's independent years beginning with Coach McManus in 1959 and ending during the Coach Tom Apke tenure, with Creighton's rejoining the MVC in 1977. Coaches during the era were McManus, Eddie Sutton, and Tom Apke.

Note: Coach Edgar "Eddie" Hickey's tenure (1935-45, 1946-47) with Creighton was during our initial stay in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Note: The phrase "border to border, coast to coast" was a well known signature phrase of the famed newsman Walter Winchell. Coach Red quite possibly "borrowed" that portion from the newsman.

Thanks...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Clarity and accuracy thy name is gtmo.
whiteandblue77

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Per Jon Rothstein, we will host Wisconsin in the Gavitt Games. Wisconsin should be a top 15 team next year. Big chance for a really nice resume win.
bluejayfan00

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Wtf?! We host Wisky?!?!

I hate those guys!!!!! :lol:
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops