2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Postby jaysfan3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

Did he play PG for BYU? Would he back up Steven? Interesting.
jaysfan3

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm

Pass first 6’4, 200 point guard who averaged 5.1 assists per game and 3 to 1 assist to TO ratio in the Big 12. Decent 36% 3 point shooter although low 60s% at free throws. That’s often mental when you see those splits. 2 years eligibility left.

Already done his mission so is an old junior to be.
Last edited by LJay on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm

jaysfan3 wrote:Did he play PG for BYU? Would he back up Steven? Interesting.

I thought it was interesting when we were mentioned as interested earlier. As a 6-4 PG, he solves a problem for us if we want a PG type to play alongside Ashworth in that at 6-4 he can match up defensively with most 2 guards while Steven can match up with most PG's. Rotations depend on whether or not Trey comes back, but he gives us a mature PG for coverage next year also
Chicagojayfan

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:07 pm

We need another ball handler. Maybe ty Davis can. But without Trey and sometimes Baylor and FF to a lesser degree, we will be lacking guys who can do that.
cujaysfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:34 pm

I think athleticism was a huge weakness last year, Neal should help with that- as should Johnson and a fully healthy Green.

The other issue was isolation shot creation and rim pressure against physical & athletic teams. Baylor and Trey were obviously high level shot makers, but they both, moreso Trey, struggled against athleticism/length. If we were to add Hall, I'm not sure we would have room from a realistic standpoint of a legit bucket getter.

For ball handlers, we'd have Ash, Hall, and Davis if he doesn't RS.

For wings, we'd have Larry Johnson, Knox, Neal.

At the wing/4 spot, Miller, Green, Traudt, McAndew.

At the 5, hopefully Kalk.

I'm not sure where the shot creation comes from. Obviously there's tons of time left and we would have literal room to add another guy, but then you're likely pushing someone out of the rotation who is good enough to get some minutes. The deepest I've ever remembered Mac legit going is 8, I believe. Maybe 9 on occasion? But if you go Ash, Hall, Neal, Miller, and Kalk, then off the bench you have Green, Traudt, LJ, McAndrew.. that's 9 right there not including someone who could surprise like Davis, Knox, or if we get a backup 5 for Kalk. It's going to be very interesting how the roster shakes out, but I'd like to get a guy who can create for himself and others when we need it and I don't see it, YET!
bluejayfan00

Postby CUGrads03 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:42 pm

Excited about Jamiya and adding defense and someone who may be able to additionally answer my screams of “get the ball to the f’ing rim!” that may have occurred on occasion. Go Jays!

Helmzy, take a breather man and reassess the way you’re conducting your “business.” A little maturity, humility and patience will do you wonders. You’re no longer a random poster as you stretch into new ventures. Like it or not, if nothing else, take some feedback to benefit your business ventures even if you personally don’t agree. You’re ruffling feathers of a long time fan base while gaining a few newer followers from the “newer/younger” fan base. You’ll get more flies with honey and some polish. Stepping in some shit happens, but don’t track it into the house afterwards. Bite your lip, focus on your customers and what they want and how they want it. You’re selling/growing “you” as part of this business, and you don’t want everything to fail because of hubris. You’re young. Learn and adapt. Or don’t, your call. That’s the great part.

Peace. Go Jays!
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby #RollJays » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:I think athleticism was a huge weakness last year, Neal should help with that- as should Johnson and a fully healthy Green.

The other issue was isolation shot creation and rim pressure against physical & athletic teams. Baylor and Trey were obviously high level shot makers, but they both, moreso Trey, struggled against athleticism/length. If we were to add Hall, I'm not sure we would have room from a realistic standpoint of a legit bucket getter.

For ball handlers, we'd have Ash, Hall, and Davis if he doesn't RS.

For wings, we'd have Larry Johnson, Knox, Neal.

At the wing/4 spot, Miller, Green, Traudt, McAndew.

At the 5, hopefully Kalk.

I'm not sure where the shot creation comes from. Obviously there's tons of time left and we would have literal room to add another guy, but then you're likely pushing someone out of the rotation who is good enough to get some minutes. The deepest I've ever remembered Mac legit going is 8, I believe. Maybe 9 on occasion? But if you go Ash, Hall, Neal, Miller, and Kalk, then off the bench you have Green, Traudt, LJ, McAndrew.. that's 9 right there not including someone who could surprise like Davis, Knox, or if we get a backup 5 for Kalk. It's going to be very interesting how the roster shakes out, but I'd like to get a guy who can create for himself and others when we need it and I don't see it, YET!

Hall definitely doesn’t hurt our playmaking ability but I agree with the overall assessment. Would still need a 2/3 that could go get you a bucket and shoot (like Trey).
#RollJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am

cujaysfan wrote:We need another ball handler. Maybe ty Davis can. But without Trey and sometimes Baylor and FF to a lesser degree, we will be lacking guys who can do that.

100% - I think Mac loves having at least 2 guys who can handle the ball and initiate the offense on the floor as a PG, and I think it can help Ashworth get shots if we have a guy who is a bit more pass first as well. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on Hall because no word yet, BUT here are some thoughts:

I like both of these guys because they have flexibility to play slightly different roles on the team depending on whether or not Trey is back also and they give us cover to not have to throw Johnson and Davis into the fire too early and with too much pressure.

While it's clear that Neal is the guy we'd expect to finish at the rim more than Dallin, Dallin can get to the rim as well:

Neal 69/105 at the rim, with 39.1% assisted
Hall 47/73 at the rim with only 21.3% assisted

Trey last year 73/127 at the rim, with 21.9% assisted

Trey usage last year - 26.6%, Assist 23.8% (Ashworth was at 22.3% last year w/ 18.9% usage)
Neal usage - 19%, Assist 11%
Hall usage - 16.8%, Assist 27.7%

remember, we are also taking Baylor out of the equation - 25.5% usage, and 19.9% assist rate

While Neal won't handle the ball as much, he will get more shot opportunities, IMO, and will likely fit in a bit like Jefferson did offensively. He apparently shot well when uncovered and that AZ State offense was an inefficient mess, so I do expect an improvement from him. It's really rare to see a guy have a big jump in 3 PT shooting, but it does happen when a guy gets opportunities and is put into better sports (see Hunter Sallis this last year)

Neal
3PT shooting: .217, .292, .275
TS%: .333, .508, .495
Those numbers aren't good, but AZ State's offense is a mess, and he'll have a ton of spacing at Creighton

Hall:
3 PT shooting: .367, .359
TS %: .523, .542
(Those look great, but there's also a reason Pope's coaching at Kentucky now - I do like his consistency and I expect him to be able to fit in really nicely and there's a reason teams like Duke are recruiting him as well)
Chicagojayfan

Postby blueblood » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am

Posh in the portal
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 am

CUGrads03 wrote:Excited about Jamiya and adding defense and someone who may be able to additionally answer my screams of “get the ball to the f’ing rim!” that may have occurred on occasion. Go Jays!

Helmzy, take a breather man and reassess the way you’re conducting your “business.” A little maturity, humility and patience will do you wonders. You’re no longer a random poster as you stretch into new ventures. Like it or not, if nothing else, take some feedback to benefit your business ventures even if you personally don’t agree. You’re ruffling feathers of a long time fan base while gaining a few newer followers from the “newer/younger” fan base. You’ll get more flies with honey and some polish. Stepping in some shit happens, but don’t track it into the house afterwards. Bite your lip, focus on your customers and what they want and how they want it. You’re selling/growing “you” as part of this business, and you don’t want everything to fail because of hubris. You’re young. Learn and adapt. Or don’t, your call. That’s the great part.

Peace. Go Jays!

+1000

Guy struggles to handle anyone who disagrees with him. Not going to make it far in life if you cant deal with disagreements with patience and understanding
BenningtonBluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops