2017-2018 Season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017-2018 Season

Postby SendDustyIn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:41 am

cu8493 wrote:Yes, they won a game last March, and they have everyone back. I'm saying everyone back who only beat 2 of the 6 top 100 teams they played - one being Ill St, the other being CO State. Lets see how they do this year when they replace the likes of Drake, Indiana St, Evansville, Loyola-Chicago, Bradley and Missouri State with having to prepare for and play teams with actual D1 caliber talent, such as Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, UConn on a regular basis. They were not a top 20 team last year, and now have to face a schedule with teams who have as good or better athletes instead of just out-athleting every conference opponent, so how do you translate that to top ten this year. In my own feeble mind, that's nuts.

See also, 2013-14 Creighton Bluejays. Everyone said the same exact stuff about us. We did pretty well that year, minus the Baylor game. We're doing fine now. They'll figure it out as well.

We haven't played those guys in 4 years. Can we take off the MVC rivalry glasses now?
SendDustyIn

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am

Jon Nyatawa @JonNyatawa
·
2m
Both of the Creighton-Xavier games (Jan. 13 in Cincy & Feb. 10 in Omaha) will be on Fox. As will CU's Feb. 24 home game vs Villanova

LOVE IT.
Jet915

Postby JayPharmAlum » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am

Bemidji State!
JayPharmAlum

Postby JayPak » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Playing with consistency and mastering the mental part of the game are trademarks of Marshall's teams. That said, this is a whole new grind for them and they won't be sniffing an undefeated season. They'll definitely finish top 5 in the AAC, but top 10 nationally is a stretch IMO.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby RVB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Embracing the grind, Creighton coach Greg McDermott welcomes tough Big East schedule

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 2715c.html
RVB

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm

RVB wrote:Embracing the grind, Creighton coach Greg McDermott welcomes tough Big East schedule

Coolest stat in article: Creighton will play against NCAA-qualifying teams from 2016-2017 in 17 of 31 games. I wasn't a math major, but I think that's more than HALF of CU's games up against NCAA teams. In the MVC, were we lucky to get six games in a year? This year, we get six Sweet 16 or better opponents. I love the Big East.

I also don't mind the schedule. Selection committee pays attention to late season performance, so I'd rather have an easier schedule late than early. Maybe we can catch some teams off guard, as scouting on the Jays won't be as complete as it will be late against those more talented teams.

This year, more than most, I have no idea what to expect of this team. I saw Bahe predicted 9-9 in-conference, with an overall record in the 19-12 range (give or take), which could get us in the tourney. That seems fair, but would I be surprised if we were 11-7 or 6-12? Not too surprised.
vivid_dude

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
RVB wrote:Embracing the grind, Creighton coach Greg McDermott welcomes tough Big East schedule

Coolest stat in article: Creighton will play against NCAA-qualifying teams from 2016-2017 in 17 of 31 games. I wasn't a math major, but I think that's more than HALF of CU's games up against NCAA teams. In the MVC, were we lucky to get six games in a year? This year, we get six Sweet 16 or better opponents. I love the Big East.

I also don't mind the schedule. Selection committee pays attention to late season performance, so I'd rather have an easier schedule late than early. Maybe we can catch some teams off guard, as scouting on the Jays won't be as complete as it will be late against those more talented teams.

This year, more than most, I have no idea what to expect of this team. I saw Bahe predicted 9-9 in-conference, with an overall record in the 19-12 range (give or take), which could get us in the tourney. That seems fair, but would I be surprised if we were 11-7 or 6-12? Not too surprised.

I get that we're inexperienced in some areas and a little thin up front, but if we go 6-12 with two of the five best players in the league, I will not be happy!
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:

I get that we're inexperienced in some areas and a little thin up front, but if we go 6-12 with two of the five best players in the league, I will not be happy!

Not sure I agree with 2 of top 5....maybe top 10. Problem is PG is a question mark and our front line on paper is probably one of the weaker ones in the Big East.
Jet915

Postby hibma » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm

I think the "Jays" have a Good Chance at winning a few games! Sleep is the enemy of the rich and Strong so thus if we are to see the faithful boys in Blue win a game, perhaps a handful or even a bakers dozen (and then some!) they should avoid sleeping! To dream is to lose, to sleep is to lose, to face fear with a hearty and overactive brain in conjunction with sleep deprivation is to Become Champions. When I was a Small Boy I slept once and was ridiculed harshly! I learned to not sleep
*~*hibma*~*
hibma

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:

So Nick is going 9-9 in conf and 10-3 in non-conf? Luvin' his realism.
Vivid: That seems fair, but would I be surprised if we were 11-7 or 6-12? Not too surprised.

So old gtmo must be getting roasted on a spit by many in the Big O for my "ridiculous 13-5 in-conf prediction". I for one will be surprised if the Jays fall to 11-7 or less. With Marcus, Khyri, Hegner, and company I see consistency. Manny is going to surprise many naysayers, and PG will be steady. Ronnie and Martin will be steady, and the frosh will be good in spots. Difficult to see doom n gloom from my seat.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops