2023 transfer portal

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2023 transfer portal

Postby jays911 » Thu May 04, 2023 5:19 pm

Realhoops wrote:I dont really remember Art dribbling into the corner.

Sometimes I wonder why a kid like Art would even want to come back when so much of the vocal fan base just takes every opportunity to criticize. You’d almost think he did nothing for Creighton listening to some people on here.

Look, I loved much of his skill set, and his heart, but you must not have watched the same games I did. I wish him nothing but the best.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby vivid_dude » Thu May 04, 2023 8:22 pm

Sometimes I wonder why a kid like Art would even want to come back when so much of the vocal fan base just takes every opportunity to criticize. You’d almost think he did nothing for Creighton listening to some people on here.

+1.

So much criticism for a sophomore. Makes no sense to me. He was the invaluable starting PF for arguably the greatest team in Creighton history. He was a sophomore. He was the primary reason we almost beat the eventual national champion last year when two of our starters were out. He was a sophomore.

Maybe expectations were too high. Why is that Art’s fault? He was a sophomore. He was a great, imperfect player whose best basketball is ahead of him. When did Art dribble into the corner with any high frequency? Making up fictional criticisms at this point. I really don’t like sports fans sometimes.
vivid_dude

Postby Realhoops » Thu May 04, 2023 9:25 pm

jays911 wrote:

Look, I loved much of his skill set, and his heart, but you must not have watched the same games I did. I wish him nothing but the best.

Apparently.

I recognize he had things to work on and ball handling is one of them. But I honestly do t recall even one instance of him dribbling into the corner. I recall him trying to go toward the lane and basket every time he put the ball on the floor.

Maybe I just somehow missed all these dribbles into the corner.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby mannygakou » Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 am

Realhoops wrote:
jays911 wrote:

Apparently.

I recognize he had things to work on and ball handling is one of them. But I honestly do t recall even one instance of him dribbling into the corner. I recall him trying to go toward the lane and basket every time he put the ball on the floor.

Maybe I just somehow missed all these dribbles into the corner.

This dribble into the corner thing was not a common occurrence, if it even happened at all. If anything Art would get the ball in the corner, then dribble.
mannygakou

Postby T-bone » Fri May 05, 2023 9:26 am

I think the original intent of the post was that Art’s dribbling would lead to a TO at times, whether into a corner of the court, top of the key, or wherever.

Please do not take my attempt at a clarification for another poster as taking sides. I am a lover not a fighter.

I would love to see Art back to develop his game fully.
T-bone

Postby PAJay » Fri May 05, 2023 9:40 am

BREAKING NEWS: All college basketball players make mistakes. If you wanted to you could create a low-lights reel for each Creighton starter from last season showing many plays that they would take back. It's part of the game. Bigger questions - how did the team play last season and what did each of them contribute to the successes? Proud of all the players and would have liked everyone to come back. It was not to be though.
PAJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri May 05, 2023 9:48 am

Regarding Kaluma, people get heated during games and sometimes go too far in criticisms, but I don't know that it is better or worse than what we see from other guys having bad games as well. Bottom line for Art is that he's got great physical talent, and brought great hustle on defense and on the boards about every night out. He was able to match up physically with 4's in the BE and when his shot was falling outside he could be a really bad matchup for many of them, but the knee injury in the off season hurt his ability to work on the skills he wanted to add last year, and he had a lot of rust as well - so he struggled offensively to find a rhythm in the offense where he either got a shot or got rid of the ball fast enough to keep the flow of the offense going

So we saw a lot of inconsistency over the year and even during games. When he focused on getting into the paint as part of the offense and getting offense off of hustle plays, I thought he made the team a whole lot better, but that didn't show up every game. Similarly, if we'd had a bit more consistent 3 PT shooting, I suspect he may have had more paint opportunities off of the spacing he would have gotten.

Either way, we can all see the talent and can guess at how good he can get if his skills catch up to his ability.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri May 05, 2023 10:01 am

JacobPadilla wrote:...

I think Traudt can be more of an interior finisher than you're giving him credit for. He's not just a pure spot-up 3-point shooter.

Initial contact doesn't mean much. I'd be surprised to see this go much beyond reaching out at this point.

Agree - Traudt isn't a Hegner clone (not that Hegner was a bad player), but he's much more than a catch and shoot guy. He has the athleticism and size to get into the paint and finish

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/archiv ... ?ocid=a2hs

I can see them reaching out to Nelson, but I'm pretty happy with the 4 going into the season w/ Traudt/Miller/Green available also
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:36 am

Art had a great tournament. Averaged like 11 and 7, I thought he did a good job picking his spots. And as usual he made some huge plays for us on the glass and on defense.

It was the sky-high expectations coming into the season that led to a lot of harsh criticism, IMO. He was up and down all year but he played well in the 4 games that mattered most.
Jaysker12

Postby LJay » Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am

It was Art’s dribbling and decision making while dribbling that made some folks a little crazy. His shooting was a bit disappointing based on reports of how well he shot it in practice. That’s about it on the minus side.

His hustle, athleticism, rebounding and defense were pretty top drawer. Name me a game where the other team’s 4 went off against CU. I’m sure it happened but I don’t remember it. Those are the positives.
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting