Baylor Scheierman (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Baylor Scheierman (Transfer Commit)

Postby Ethanfor3 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:54 pm

I watched the game, which you could watch on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCmXTwF4-0

Baylor did play better today, but he also had a several plays where he looked a bit out of place. When he settled down and got "his" shots, he looked very smooth with his jumper off the catch and shoot. When guarded, or was trying to create and get his own shot, he struggled a bit against the overall athleticism. Overall, he didn't stand out as one of the top players in this type of game format, which probably doesn't do his individual game any favors.

It will take some team to see the overall team player and shooting ability that fits their specific style of team makeup to keep him in the draft. I think he'll be a tremendous fit on this year's Creighton team, if we're lucky enough that he doesn't get the NBA draft grade or guarantee he's looking for.

Go Jays!
Ethanfor3

Postby jon4thejays » Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 pm

I got to watch some today. He shoot the 3 with confidence but he also air balled a long 3. He rebounds and passes fairly well and has a good handle, but his athleticism is going to be on the lower end in the big east.
jon4thejays

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 pm

Jet915

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:55 am

So is that good news for Creighton, if Scheierman wasn't called to the draft combine? Is there still a chance he could get called? I know June 1st is the official date he has to make a decision, but I was just trying to read into the thought process.
skinzfan23

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am

skinzfan23 wrote:So is that good news for Creighton, if Scheierman wasn't called to the draft combine? Is there still a chance he could get called? I know June 1st is the official date he has to make a decision, but I was just trying to read into the thought process.

He seems set on staying in the draft if he is certain that he will get drafted by someone. Not making the combine at all makes that less likely. So probably good, but still pretty wide open.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Ethanfor3 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:42 am

https://twitter.com/JacobPadilla_/status/1526759190626189312?cxt=HHwWgICy7aHZkbAqAAAA

While I don't think he looked particularly good over the weekend in the game format, he might have appeal to a team that sees him as a great fit for what they do.

fingers crossed that the team doesn't guarantee him anything.
Ethanfor3

Postby SeattleJay » Wed May 18, 2022 9:58 am

So, it’s more likely that Baylor is coming to Omaha. That’s great news but still not quite a sure thing yet per Jacob. Is Kerwin Walton plan B? Or is that dead?

Two weeks to go!

Would love to see Baylor come to Omaha and be a first round pick next year.
SeattleJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed May 18, 2022 12:13 pm

Ethanfor3 wrote:https://twitter.com/JacobPadilla_/status/1526759190626189312?cxt=HHwWgICy7aHZkbAqAAAA

While I don't think he looked particularly good over the weekend in the game format, he might have appeal to a team that sees him as a great fit for what they do.

fingers crossed that the team doesn't guarantee him anything.

I guess all it takes is for one team to decide they like him. The "guarantee" thing is a bit new to me. I know that more players have gotten guaranteed money even into the 2nd round in recent years, but didn't know that they were giving players a guarantee that they'd draft them.

A year in the BE would help him prepare for the size/speed he'll see in the NBA, but it will come down to how he thinks the money/development will be best served in the future. Graduating, playing in the BE in a system that would highlight his strengths should be worth quite a bit, but at least the NBA feedback will do him good as well.

Kerwin Walton seems to be biding his time as well...
Chicagojayfan

Postby Django » Thu May 19, 2022 7:17 pm

jon4thejays wrote:I got to watch some today. He shoot the 3 with confidence but he also air balled a long 3. He rebounds and passes fairly well and has a good handle, but his athleticism is going to be on the lower end in the big east.

After watching his film I’d agree with the last comment but he showed a lot of craftiness at the hoop against PC and was 3 for 4 in the paint. Hes a dead eye shooter and I have full confidence Trey and R2 will get him looks, although he shoots flat footed and could be susceptible to getting blocked… the real challenge athletically will be his on ball defense against big time wings flying by him… he will need Kalk and King to be prepared at the rim.

But like everyone has said he’s a perfect fit for the Jays and will fall right in line with Let It Fly culture we missed so much last year (except for Hawkins) we gotta get our 3-ball mojo back baybeeeee
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm

he's a really good ball handler, and especially so for his height. I can see why he's trying to project as a PG for NBA scouts. I think the concern is all about his foot-speed. He just looks a bit slow, I don't know. You can more than make up for that in college, but in the NBA, a slow guard will get abused on defense. Also, he's a great shooter, but his release isn't as quick as I would imagine scouts want it to be. That's something he can improve relatively quickly. Doug's shot release improved drastically from his jr. to sr. year, and continued to improve when he got to the league.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting