2022 Transfer Thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2022 Transfer Thread

Postby blueblood » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:46 am

Thinking you guys are not taking into account where we are at as a program. With what we have potentially coming back I don't see us going for a guy who's minutes have gone down or guys that we recruited and turned us down the first time. We will be looking at final piece of the puzzle type players. Immediate impact in the BE type players. We have all we can handle in young players. We will need a couple of older experienced types.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:48 am

blueblood wrote:Thinking you guys are not taking into account where we are at as a program. With what we have potentially coming back I don't see us going for a guy who's minutes have gone down or guys that we recruited and turned us down the first time. We will be looking at final piece of the puzzle type players. Immediate impact in the BE type players. We have all we can handle in young players. We will need a couple of older experienced types.

Getting a quality big guy in College BBall is difficult, getting one who is OK with 10 minutes a game as a backup is even more difficult, getting one behind a guy like Kalkbrenner who is playing 31 minutes a game in conference and can go longer when needed may be an impossibility.

Sure, if the guy can also play some 4, maybe, but more likely we're looking at someone who wants the step up and can handle playing so few minutes.

Think of it this way - last year we landed a top 10 recruiting class and had a young center with potential going into the starting spot with the starter leaving through the portal, and we landed Feazell. Given that Kalk's established now, what does that do experienced guys looking to come here?

We'll see what happens, and we are a high profile destination, but sitting the bench isn't attractive to centers who can often pick and choose where they go
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 pm

As far as backup centers we are gonna get a similar guy like Feazell or Jones. Someone coming up from a low major who wants to play on a good team in a great conference. I do think we have an opening for a high impact bucket getter on the wing position. I know we hope all our guys will take a leap next year but assuming everyone returns next year can be special if we can find a bucket getter.
Jet915

Postby blueblood » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:38 pm

I wasn't specifically talking of a center but whomever we use our 1-3 scholarships on. We need experienced players no matter what the position to replace AOC and Hawkins.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
blueblood wrote:Thinking you guys are not taking into account where we are at as a program. With what we have potentially coming back I don't see us going for a guy who's minutes have gone down or guys that we recruited and turned us down the first time. We will be looking at final piece of the puzzle type players. Immediate impact in the BE type players. We have all we can handle in young players. We will need a couple of older experienced types.

Getting a quality big guy in College BBall is difficult, getting one who is OK with 10 minutes a game as a backup is even more difficult, getting one behind a guy like Kalkbrenner who is playing 31 minutes a game in conference and can go longer when needed may be an impossibility.

Sure, if the guy can also play some 4, maybe, but more likely we're looking at someone who wants the step up and can handle playing so few minutes.

Think of it this way - last year we landed a top 10 recruiting class and had a young center with potential going into the starting spot with the starter leaving through the portal, and we landed Feazell. Given that Kalk's established now, what does that do experienced guys looking to come here?

We'll see what happens, and we are a high profile destination, but sitting the bench isn't attractive to centers who can often pick and choose where they go

It is pretty hard to generalize, though. If Kalk keeps improving the way he did this year, it's possible next year is his last. So a quality big who just finished up his freshman year somewhere and isn't happy might look at coming here to be a backup and get some good experience and minutes for a year with the potential of being THE guy the following year.

Or maybe there really is someone out there who has the size / body to defend at the 5 but the offense to play at the 4 some and could get some minutes playing alongside Kalk as well as spelling him.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby jon4thejays » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:31 pm

blueblood wrote:I wasn't specifically talking of a center but whomever we use our 1-3 scholarships on. We need experienced players no matter what the position to replace AOC and Hawkins.

Being young this year seemed to work out ok. I think having Hawk was huge for this team, but I also think R2, Kalk, Art, Trey and Rati all learned a ton from him and his examples. Those “young guys” (probably should exclude Art) already play like veterans.
If a really good upperclassman is available I’m fine with one (especially a big) but another young stud would be even more exciting. At least to me.
jon4thejays

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:58 pm

Jays aren’t in on any more 2022 high schoolers unless there are Euro’s Huss is courting. Since I don’t recall him missing a single game this year I doubt he is scouring the Euro leagues.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:07 pm

Our core guys that are all seemingly coming back are and will continue to be special. But I think we’re forgetting the style Mac really wants to play and what we lacked this year. We need a guy who can score and/or shoot the ball from 3 at a high clip. Wouldn’t be shocked to land someone of significance on the wing to help out with perimeter scoring/shooting.

We played really good defense this year and adjusted well to the roster we have, but we still need to be able to shoot it at a much higher clip than we did this year. And our arguably two best 3 point shooters will be gone.
bluejayfan00

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:17 am

John C will be back and will get the opportunity to show his shooting pedigree.

Plus, Shtolzberg is also a shooter (6-5) and will probably be a 3-position player.

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:58 pm

Jays aren’t in on any more 2022 high schoolers unless there are Euro’s Huss is courting. Since I don’t recall him missing a single game this year I doubt he is scouring the Euro leagues.

So we are out on Cameron Fens and Anthony Black?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:31 am

If Modestas was further along in his development, I would almost say you don't even need a big man. Between Kalk and Modestas with a sprinkling of Kaluma at the 5 in some small ball lineups, you have enough size to compete against BE frontcourts. In that scenario, get the highest impact transfer, probably a shooter with some size. But Modestas' impact next year is a big question mark, at least for me.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting