Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.
Post a reply

Re: 2022 G Ben Shtolzberg (Commit)

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Durango Jay wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:I am relieved to know that Rivals and the rest are planning to boost Ben into their rankings. I was a bit concerned when the
staff reached wwaaaaaay out into the weeds to find him.

Have you not learned to trust the coaching staff? Have you ever been disappointed with Mac’s recruiting classes?

Yes. The 2019 class of Windham and Reef wasn’t good. Windham didn’t belong at this level and Reef has proved to be no more than a solid role player so far. I hope he makes the leap and proves himself to be much more this year.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:00 pm

LJay wrote:
Durango Jay wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:I am relieved to know that Rivals and the rest are planning to boost Ben into their rankings. I was a bit concerned when the

Have you not learned to trust the coaching staff? Have you ever been disappointed with Mac’s recruiting classes?

Yes. The 2019 class of Windham and Reef wasn’t good. Windham didn’t belong at this level and Reef has proved to be no more than a solid role player so far. I hope he makes the leap and proves himself to be much more this year.

Remember we had Marcus, Alexander, Ballock, and Jefferson coming back. We also had Mahoney coming off of his year of sitting out, so in the backcourt we were pretty stacked in the backcourt.

We had Epperson and Bishop at the 5, but Epperson got hurt again in October which was brutal. Pushed Bishop into starting and K. Jones playing more minutes than we thought originally.

We also got A. Jones as a transfer. Didn't work out, but he was a top 100/150 kind of player as well.

Anyway, I give them a pass as playing time matters and we aren't (weren't?) at a place where we could stockpile top recruits even without a lot of playing time to offer

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:01 pm

Polyfro wrote:On the latest Scurry and The Scrub podcast, Jordan and Matt were joined by Ben Shtolzberg for a wide-ranging 90 minute interview. They talk about what he found appealing about Creighton, why he opted to turn down an opportunity to play professionally overseas right after high school, and if it bothers him that the major recruiting services don't have him rated as highly as other players he regularly competes against.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/scurry-a ... htolzberg/

Pretty darn interesting. Learned a little more on the recruiting process for sure.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:51 pm

LJay wrote:
Durango Jay wrote:

Reef is a stud.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:35 pm

bluejays1973 wrote:
LJay wrote:
Durango Jay wrote:Have you not learned to trust the coaching staff? Have you ever been disappointed with Mac’s recruiting classes?

Reef is a stud.

Stop it. As of last season he's a nice, but very limited role player. Hopefully he takes a step forward this year, but it's much more likely that this is what he is - a great, but undersized, defender, a solid secondary ball handler, and not a scoring threat at all. A high quality 7th or 8th man.

And LJay is correct. That 2019 class wasn't good, but Mac and Co. have clearly redeemed themselves.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Rivals guy ranked him the best commit of the week. Ahead of a current 4*.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... -this-week

Edit: Read the article too quickly the first time. The guy I read as a 4* is considered one for football, 3* on the court at the moment. Stil top commit of the week
Last edited by CPJays on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:47 pm

wildjays wrote:
Polyfro wrote:On the latest Scurry and The Scrub podcast, Jordan and Matt were joined by Ben Shtolzberg for a wide-ranging 90 minute interview. They talk about what he found appealing about Creighton, why he opted to turn down an opportunity to play professionally overseas right after high school, and if it bothers him that the major recruiting services don't have him rated as highly as other players he regularly competes against.

Pretty darn interesting. Learned a little more on the recruiting process for sure.

Aside from the awkward interview style, this was a great listen. People compare Ben to Marcus a lot based on on-court prowess, but his personality and mentality seem similar. Uber-confident with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a certain "edge" to him. Some highlights for me:

- Smart kid, carrying a 4.3 GPA right now. His personal goal is to maintain a 4.0 or higher. His dad attended Oxford
- It sounds he was pretty close to playing overseas in Israel, but he would have had to apply for citizenship and serve the mandatory time in the Israeli armed forces.
- Ben knows Marcus through his trainer, who is also Michael-Carter Williams' trainer
- He'll fit it well here. And some interesting comments about being recruited by Nebraska :lol: He knows he made the better choice.
- Speaking of the red team, he also had some interesting comments about playing on the same AAU team as Ramel Lloyd. Was asked, "are you two tight?" "No not really, but I'm not really going to get into it." Reading between the lines it sounds like he knows about the sentiment many have (including the trogs on the HHC forum) that Ramel is the better player. Ben has outplayed Ramel and numerous other guys ranked ahead of him. The kid is going to use that as fuel.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Trifecta wrote:
wildjays wrote:

Aside from the awkward interview style, this was a great listen. People compare Ben to Marcus a lot based on on-court prowess, but his personality and mentality seem similar. Uber-confident with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a certain "edge" to him. Some highlights for me:

- Smart kid, carrying a 4.3 GPA right now. His personal goal is to maintain a 4.0 or higher. His dad attended Oxford
- It sounds he was pretty close to playing overseas in Israel, but he would have had to apply for citizenship and serve the mandatory time in the Israeli armed forces.
- Ben knows Marcus through his trainer, who is also Michael-Carter Williams' trainer
- He'll fit it well here. And some interesting comments about being recruited by Nebraska :lol: He knows he made the better choice.
- Speaking of the red team, he also had some interesting comments about playing on the same AAU team as Ramel Lloyd. Was asked, "are you two tight?" "No not really, but I'm not really going to get into it." Reading between the lines it sounds like he knows about the sentiment many have (including the trogs on the HHC forum) that Ramel is the better player. Ben has outplayed Ramel and numerous other guys ranked ahead of him. The kid is going to use that as fuel.

Another takeaway I got is that apparently when a kid visits, the staff takes him and his family out for a big meal...and then we run him through a practice. "Hey, Ben, have some more shrimp. And why not order a bowl of chowder while you're at it. YOLO, right?"

Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:54 am

#126 on Rivals now.....

Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:16 pm

Husker fans will love this!
Post a reply