2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered, Memphis Commit)

Postby bluejayfan2054 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:11 am

I'm not sure I understand why both of them would want to go there considering they have already signed 3 SFs in this years class including a transfer from Miami. Will be a battle for playing time but I suppose we wouldn't have promised a starting spot either
bluejayfan2054

Re: 2021 W Jonathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:He just reposted a pro Creighton account on his Instagram. I don’t want to jinx it, but at this point, it almost seems obvious he’s coming here.

What a wild off-season. Looked extremely bleak a few days ago and now we’re on the verge on getting a 4 star this late in the game? Thank you Miller family

Seems pretty much like every off season to me. This board is so bi-polar. Watching some of you go up and down like yo-yos is pretty entertaining each year gets old but has its entertainment value as well.

Go Jays!

Now you know why we are so bi-polar!
vivid_dude

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am

again, patience... Jays will be okay

It is not fair to assume anything 'fishy' happened here. Johnathan and the Lawson family are synonymous with basketball in Memphis. The chance to play with his brother, in his home town, for a squad that looks poised to breakout in 21/22, for a coach who is a local legend and made lots of money playing a similar style makes total sense. As far as I've heard Jays made it a tough decision for Johnathan.
hilltopalum

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 am

bluejayfan2054 wrote:I'm not sure I understand why both of them would want to go there considering they have already signed 3 SFs in this years class including a transfer from Miami. Will be a battle for playing time but I suppose we wouldn't have promised a starting spot either

... the decisions of recruits often end up not making much sense, and often end up not working out all that well. Recruiting is just a crazy business.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 am

Here's an interesting opinion: "A player I didn't know we were recruiting two days ago didn't choose Creighton over Memphis, a town where the Lawson family is known by many fans as the the "First Family of Memphis basketball" There is something fishy going on here." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah...not fishy.

While disappointing, I'm glad he didn't Kerwin Walton us. The promptness is appreciated!

Moving on...
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am

hilltopalum wrote:again, patience... Jays will be okay

It is not fair to assume anything 'fishy' happened here. Johnathan and the Lawson family are synonymous with basketball in Memphis. The chance to play with his brother, in his home town, for a squad that looks poised to breakout in 21/22, for a coach who is a local legend and made lots of money playing a similar style makes total sense. As far as I've heard Jays made it a tough decision for Johnathan.

+1000 here

Memphis is the home town school and when I started to find all of the connections between the Lawson family and Hardaway and Memphis' program the list got really long really fast. They have a ton of people they know in that program, etc. And, they may have had a good promise about how they will be used. I think Johnathan thinks he can play some PG on the college level, and his brother wanted a chance to play more of a 3 type role rather than a 4/5 (which is how he was used mostly at Oregon).

And maybe they wanted to stay closer to home, and maybe they wanted to play together. I like that we made a strong push to add him to the class
Chicagojayfan

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby Alphawalt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Jet915 wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Definitely something fishy happened here, but onto the next one

Sounds like playing with brother who we weren't interested in. Plus they are from Memphis and it's Penny, probably too much to overcome....

A couple of days ago, I wrote on another thread:

Lawson has likely Memphis commit written all over him, seems like that was reason he decommitted from Oregon. I would be shocked if we inquired or had any chance even if we inquired.

Looks like I was spot on a couple of days ago, with my added comment later of “He was quoted as saying Memphis recruited him late and hard, after he had pretty much made up his mind about Oregon because his brother was at Oregon. Now that his brother has left Oregon, if I am a betting man, I would bet Penny Hardaway gets him. Hopefully, he won’t choose DePaul, as Stubblefield was the recruiter that got him committed at Oregon. Creighton was not even on his list of schools last year”.

It might be I knew what I was talking about and it was clear as day if only you looked at the situation objectively like I did
Alphawalt

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Except for the fact that you were wrong when you said you’d be shocked if we 1. Inquired or 2. Had a chance KD we did inquire.

We did inquire and did have a chance.
bluejayfan00

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby jaysfan3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Alphawalt wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Definitely something fishy happened here, but onto the next one

Sounds like playing with brother who we weren't interested in. Plus they are from Memphis and it's Penny, probably too much to overcome....

A couple of days ago, I wrote on another thread:

Lawson has likely Memphis commit written all over him, seems like that was reason he decommitted from Oregon. I would be shocked if we inquired or had any chance even if we inquired.

Looks like I was spot on a couple of days ago, with my added comment later of “He was quoted as saying Memphis recruited him late and hard, after he had pretty much made up his mind about Oregon because his brother was at Oregon. Now that his brother has left Oregon, if I am a betting man, I would bet Penny Hardaway gets him. Hopefully, he won’t choose DePaul, as Stubblefield was the recruiter that got him committed at Oregon. Creighton was not even on his list of schools last year”.

It might be I knew what I was talking about and it was clear as day if only you looked at the situation objectively like I did

You literally said we didn’t have a chance. People with sources are saying we just about had him.
jaysfan3

Re: 2021 W Jonathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:44 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:He just reposted a pro Creighton account on his Instagram. I don’t want to jinx it, but at this point, it almost seems obvious he’s coming here.

What a wild off-season. Looked extremely bleak a few days ago and now we’re on the verge on getting a 4 star this late in the game? Thank you Miller family

Seems pretty much like every off season to me. This board is so bi-polar. Watching some of you go up and down like yo-yos is pretty entertaining each year gets old but has its entertainment value as well.

Go Jays!

Perhaps that's because our recruiting tends to give some of us ulcers? We tend to pursue our top guys, generally top 50 4 star prospects, the hardest. We may chase some lower ranked guys, top 150 guys or unranked 3 star players, but not nearly as hard and they commit to other places first because we wait for the higher regarded prospects. Those high ranked kids unsurprisingly have a ton of competition. When we land guys like Mitch, TSA, Jacob, and Mason it's obviously fantastic, but when we miss we have holes on our roster (no true 4 for how many years?) or have to bring in a grad transfer to patch the gap (with unsatisfying results, with the exception of Kelvin).
REALITY

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting