2023 PG Josiah Dotzler, Bellevue West (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2023 PG Josiah Dotzler, Bellevue West (Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:42 pm

anotherjayfan wrote:This is an exciting commit, but does leave me wondering where the PG minutes are going to go in the next couple years!

I think it works well. Mac has shown he's happy playing with at least 2 PG type ballhandlers together on the floor (as with Mitchell and Marcus Z), and I'd far, far rather have too many PG's rather than too few!

He also has the height to match up across a few types of guards in the BE? Mitchell's D is awesome, but he gives up a lot of height and bulk if he ends up on a SG type in the BE (Mitchell's D is generally good enough to still make it difficult even when giving up so much height), but that does make it easier to play Dotzler with another smaller PG on the court at the same time
Chicagojayfan

Postby Trifecta » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
anotherjayfan wrote:This is an exciting commit, but does leave me wondering where the PG minutes are going to go in the next couple years!

I think it works well. Mac has shown he's happy playing with at least 2 PG type ballhandlers together on the floor (as with Mitchell and Marcus Z), and I'd far, far rather have too many PG's rather than too few!

He also has the height to match up across a few types of guards in the BE? Mitchell's D is awesome, but he gives up a lot of height and bulk if he ends up on a SG type in the BE (Mitchell's D is generally good enough to still make it difficult even when giving up so much height), but that does make it easier to play Dotzler with another smaller PG on the court at the same time

This. Worst case scenario, R2 and Trey both are gone after this year (which if that happens I'll assume we had a pretty good year and postseason showing). If that happens, there will be plenty of guard/wing minutes up for grabs. If they come back, we still have multiple guards that can play the 1/2/3. I think the staff also sees Ben S. as a combo guard so you can pair them with Reef or R2.
Trifecta

Postby RVB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:56 pm

Josiah Dotzler realizes dream, commits to Creighton

https://nebpreps.com/josiah-dotzler-com ... creighton/
RVB

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:34 pm

In today's college basketball, players aren't willing to wait in the wings for two seasons, develop, and then take the reins as juniors. Maybe Josiah is that guy. Maybe he redshirts. Maybe he's so good that he forces himself into the lineup and makes the All Big East team as a true freshman. Maybe our frontcourt depth thins out as players depart early or, God forbid, transfer. Maybe he gets bit by a radioactive spider, and...whoah, I blacked out there for a minute.

Maybe there are too many maybes and I should free myself from this spiraling vortex of emotional possibilities.

Happy he's a part of the program. Future point guard who just fulfilled a lifelong dream to play basketball at Creighton - CHECK. Now our recruiting can focus on the other expected needs after this season.
vivid_dude

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:21 pm

Jacob says Josiah has shown consistent improvement this past spring and now into the summer. I expect that trend to continue his senior year.
Congrats on the commit Josiah. Keep workin'. He's workin' - improvin'. If it's a reach - it's a good reach. Local kid-Legacy recuit-Best in the state. :D

As to the number of guards...one article I read said we had 10 guards this season...I counted and we only have 8.
If Josiah has to RS, that's okay. I'd rather he RS than do a prep year. The roster will work itself out over time and as one of you said
I'd rather have too many guards - than not enough.

Baylor, Reef, and Francisco will probably go after this season. I'd prefer Trey, R2, & Rati to stick around for 2023-24 to provide continuity for our "Repeat" season. That gives
Josiah his initial year of development - and JC & Ben an additional development year.

Now let's git some bigs...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby go_jays » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:54 pm

Trifecta wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

This. Worst case scenario, R2 and Trey both are gone after this year (which if that happens I'll assume we had a pretty good year and postseason showing). If that happens, there will be plenty of guard/wing minutes up for grabs. If they come back, we still have multiple guards that can play the 1/2/3. I think the staff also sees Ben S. as a combo guard so you can pair them with Reef or R2.

I think it's likely that Nembhard will be here for 3 years... and maybe even a 4th.
go_jays

Postby section221jay » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:49 pm

Trifecta wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

With all due reapect to R2...where is he going to go? Short PGs just don't have much of a place in the NBA. I suppose he could be itching to go play in Europe but I doubt it. R2 will play out his eligibilty.
section221jay

Postby creightonotter » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:36 pm

Our 40-minute deep-dive podcast with Josiah is ready for subscribers of our Bluejay Beat podcast, found exclusively at our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whitebluereview

That's right: we've relaunched the Bluejay Beat podcast as a premium offering for only the greatest, most interested and excited Creighton sports fans out there.

That's you, right? RIGHT?!

$4.99 a month. Cancel anytime. Only the most thoughtful, in-depth, and truly one-of-a-kind coverage of CU sports.

All killer, no filler.
creightonotter

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:00 am

Wizard of Westroads

Postby RVB » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:37 pm

Bellevue West's Josiah Dotzler signs with Creighton men's basketball

https://omaha.com/sports/high-school/re ... 9ced5.html
RVB

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting