2021 SG Joshua Primo (Bama Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 SG Joshua Primo

Postby Alphawalt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:38 am

Primo is a nice player who I would not turn down, but if you look repeatedly at game film, it is clear to me that the far superior player who would be a much better get for a lot of reasons is Hunter Sallis. That’s who I want to really see in a Bluejays uniform.
Alphawalt

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am

1. They’re in different classes
2. They’re completely different players, with Primo being more ready for the college game right now.
3. Landing primo wouldn’t hurt our chances with Sallis, at all. We’re in no position to turn down talented players of this level. They could both play at the same time.
bluejayfan00

Postby Bluejay Rey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 am

There is no such thing as too much talent.
Never trust a big butt and a smile.
Bluejay Rey

Postby #RollJays » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:1. They’re in different classes
2. They’re completely different players, with Primo being more ready for the college game right now.
3. Landing primo wouldn’t hurt our chances with Sallis, at all. We’re in no position to turn down talented players of this level. They could both play at the same time.

We aren’t turning down anyone. It would be Primo turning us down for various reasons. Bama has a clearer path to playing time and has a nice young coach.
#RollJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 am

#RollJays wrote:

We aren’t turning down anyone. It would be Primo turning us down for various reasons. Bama has a clearer path to playing time and has a nice young coach.

Exactly. Hard to ask anyone to come into a situation where they aren't likely to play a lot. If he thinks he's a one and done guy we may not be a very good fit next year. No negative on either side really. We have a great team and situation, but next year isn't a fit for everyone.

There's a reason we're looking at a lot of traditional sit-one transfers now
Chicagojayfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

#RollJays wrote:

That wasn’t my point. I’m expecting Primo to commit to Bama. My point was, landing Primo or putting a lot of resources into his recruitment doesn’t effect our recruitment of Sallis. We are going hard after Hunter, and I believe the staff will continue to do so until Hunter gives them a reason not to.
bluejayfan00

Postby #RollJays » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

That wasn’t my point. I’m expecting Primo to commit to Bama. My point was, landing Primo or putting a lot of resources into his recruitment doesn’t effect our recruitment of Sallis. We are going hard after Hunter, and I believe the staff will continue to do so until Hunter gives them a reason not to.

I got ya. At this point, it seems like we should just go for the best sit one prospects we can get. DJ Carton would kill it here.
#RollJays

Postby Helmzy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:21 am

Announcing at 11am tomorrow
Helmzy

Postby Ethanfor3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 am

Just my perspective on this one...

Would love him to say yes, but given what he thinks he is (one and done) I'm guessing he doesn't come here. If Primo doesn't see himself as one and done, there is a huge opportunity waiting for him at Creighton.

The bigger need is to set the table for 2021-22 season when the returning core looks like this:

PG: Zegarowski (SR), Mitchell (Jr)
G: Windham (Jr)
F: Jones (Jr)
C: Bishop (Sr), Epperson (Jr), Kalkbrenner (So)

If Zegarowski leaves after next year, which I think is a real possibility, then the cupboard is really bare from a G through F perspective.

If Primo says yes, fantastic, but I'd be happier to get a DJ Carton to sit and take over in 2021, or Walton or any other high level guard for 2020 that can learn the system get a few minutes here and there and be ready for 2021.

In the meantime, I really only care about 3 things: Tyshon coming back, which it appears he will, Marcus getting healthy and Davion returning.

On the surface we don't need Davion to come back, but if (God forbid) we get an injury to any of our top guards next year then having Davion available to step in at any of those positions would be a great luxury to have so we don't derail a potential sweet 16 / elite 8 / or Final 4 squad.

What a time to be a fan!
Ethanfor3

Postby bleedblue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:05 pm

Ethanfor3 wrote:Just my perspective on this one...

Would love him to say yes, but given what he thinks he is (one and done) I'm guessing he doesn't come here. If Primo doesn't see himself as one and done, there is a huge opportunity waiting for him at Creighton.

The bigger need is to set the table for 2021-22 season when the returning core looks like this:

PG: Zegarowski (SR), Mitchell (Jr)
G: Windham (Jr)
F: Jones (Jr)
C: Bishop (Sr), Epperson (Jr), Kalkbrenner (So)

If Zegarowski leaves after next year, which I think is a real possibility, then the cupboard is really bare from a G through F perspective.

If Primo says yes, fantastic, but I'd be happier to get a DJ Carton to sit and take over in 2021, or Walton or any other high level guard for 2020 that can learn the system get a few minutes here and there and be ready for 2021.

In the meantime, I really only care about 3 things: Tyshon coming back, which it appears he will, Marcus getting healthy and Davion returning.

On the surface we don't need Davion to come back, but if (God forbid) we get an injury to any of our top guards next year then having Davion available to step in at any of those positions would be a great luxury to have so we don't derail a potential sweet 16 / elite 8 / or Final 4 squad.

What a time to be a fan!

I agree with your thoughts on Davion. In the past when we had an injury it completely derailed the season because we never had depth. Keeping davion and JE returning would allow us to have Big East talent depth across the board for the first time since joining the conference. The main reason I'm so optimistic about next season is not just the top 6 players but the 7-11 guys should not be much if a drop off at all.
bleedblue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting