2020 Class

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 Class

Postby T-bone » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:22 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Both 2020 Murrell and 2021 Hepburn on campus today...keeping Patty Galas and Fr Hendrickson company - as everyone else left for Australia.
Those 2 have the whole damn campus to themselves... :lol:

Hepburn posted a pic today thanking Mac and Lusk for hosting him.
T-bone

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Saw that also...thought the team had left this morning. I guess not.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby wildjays » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm not sure where to post this exactly but this guy has a whole Google Doc with all the Big East targets and offers.

https://twitter.com/erapay5/status/1157 ... 62048?s=19
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby bluejayb13 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Not that it means anything, but since it feels like there hasn't been any recruiting momentum for us lately I just went back and looked to see how late in the game we really are. Our latest signed recruits were Koko Paras and Jacob who signed in June and March of their graduation years respectively. What slightly worries me is that since joining the Big East we have signed our first high school recruit for the upcoming class after school has started only twice. In 2014 Leon Gilmore III and Ronnie Harrell signed in consecutive weekends at the end of September and then in 2016 Davion signed the first week of October. It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020 class is very similar to 2019. Sign Murrell, try and get a grad transfer to replace Jones, and add a sit out transfer.
bluejayb13

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 am

bluejayb13 wrote:Not that it means anything, but since it feels like there hasn't been any recruiting momentum for us lately I just went back and looked to see how late in the game we really are. Our latest signed recruits were Koko Paras and Jacob who signed in June and March of their graduation years respectively. What slightly worries me is that since joining the Big East we have signed our first high school recruit for the upcoming class after school has started only twice. In 2014 Leon Gilmore III and Ronnie Harrell signed in consecutive weekends at the end of September and then in 2016 Davion signed the first week of October. It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020 class is very similar to 2019. Sign Murrell, try and get a grad transfer to replace Jones, and add a sit out transfer.

We'll see. We still don't have a lot of spots and minutes to fill next year. A lot of high level guys take their time and I suspect we are still looking to be selective in 2020.

We do need bigs, and I like Murrell. He's blown up, but we've also been recruiting him a long time -- think he and Sallis were at CU when Windham visited before his commit.

Jones departs and we'll get a big to fill that spot, but we may really want someone who can step in immediately -- don't be surprised to see us keep the '19 scholarship and look for a mid year transfer. That market seems to be solid for big guys who miss out on playing time to start the year.

A skilled big player like Murrell, a mid-year or graduate transfer who can help up front immediately, and best player available regardless of position for 2020 would be my guess.
Chicagojayfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels
Source: Max Murrell (https://247sports.com/player/max-murrell-46058635/ …) and Ryan Kalkbrenner (https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Kalkbrenner-46083314/ …) are starting their official visits to Stanford today.

11:26 AM - Aug 10, 2019
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby REALITY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 pm

bluejayb13 wrote:Not that it means anything, but since it feels like there hasn't been any recruiting momentum for us lately I just went back and looked to see how late in the game we really are. Our latest signed recruits were Koko Paras and Jacob who signed in June and March of their graduation years respectively. What slightly worries me is that since joining the Big East we have signed our first high school recruit for the upcoming class after school has started only twice. In 2014 Leon Gilmore III and Ronnie Harrell signed in consecutive weekends at the end of September and then in 2016 Davion signed the first week of October. It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020 class is very similar to 2019. Sign Murrell, try and get a grad transfer to replace Jones, and add a sit out transfer.

Thanks for putting this together. I was going to write up something similar.

Chicagojayfan wrote:We do need bigs, and I like Murrell. He's blown up, but we've also been recruiting him a long time -- think he and Sallis were at CU when Windham visited before his commit.

Jones departs and we'll get a big to fill that spot, but we may really want someone who can step in immediately -- don't be surprised to see us keep the '19 scholarship and look for a mid year transfer. That market seems to be solid for big guys who miss out on playing time to start the year.

Well at this point I don't think anyone is left for 2019 that we'd have any interest so it's mid-year by default. That said, remember that the mid year transfer crop quality has declined pretty significantly in the last few years so I wouldn't bank on that route succeeding.

Chicagojayfan wrote:A skilled big player like Murrell, a mid-year or graduate transfer who can help up front immediately, and best player available regardless of position for 2020 would be my guess.

I'm sorry but that would be disappointing in my book. Another class like 2019 is not the key to long term success.

Chicagojayfan wrote:We'll see. We still don't have a lot of spots and minutes to fill next year. A lot of high level guys take their time and I suspect we are still looking to be selective in 2020.

Why do we keep saying this when our peers like Marquette, Xavier, Providence all reel in 4 star type players even though they have contributors returning? That's bailing out bad recruiting.
REALITY

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 pm

The Bluejays had Williams on their radar early, but they’ll be out of the picture now.

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/big-ea ... recruiting

PS: With Murrell blowing up and taking visits...It's not a given that we sign him. Creighton recruits the majority of our men's hoops targets "for a long time". Examples like Isaiah Jackson and Wms above...both offered in fall of 2017- both developed into elite recruits and to levels greater than our ability to compete for their services.

We have established a trend of early id, evaluation, & offers given our size, relative positioning as a mid-level major team, and the overwhelming competition for the top 150 guys we are after to commit to CU.

That strategy appeared to be working for the 2017 & 2018 classes. Not so effective a strategy in 2019 and thus far for 2020 recruiting classes.
gtmoBlue

Postby RVB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 am

Examining Creighton’s top 2020 recruiting targets after center commits elsewhere

https://www.omaha.com/creighton/plus/ex ... 12ce6.html
RVB

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Out-of-towner and don't subscribe to the owh. What's the jist of Jon's article?
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting