2020 C Ryan Kalkbrenner (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 C Ryan Kalkbrenner (Offered)

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 pm

At Purdue for official this weekend. Purdue still in the hunt for Hunter Dickinson and Ben Carlson. Carlson visits Boilermakers next weekend.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-b ... it-preview
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jaysfan3 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:28 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:At Purdue for official this weekend. Purdue still in the hunt for Hunter Dickinson and Ben Carlson. Carlson visits Boilermakers next weekend.

Article states that he is visiting us again next week. We have to feel pretty good if he doesn't commit at Purdue this weekend.
jaysfan3

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm

jaysfan3 wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:At Purdue for official this weekend. Purdue still in the hunt for Hunter Dickinson and Ben Carlson. Carlson visits Boilermakers next weekend.

Article states that he is visiting us again next week. We have to feel pretty good if he doesn't commit at Purdue this weekend.

Another article on him says Purdue, Creighton, and Stanford to a lesser extent (obviously not written from a Creighton perspective):

"Meanwhile, Trinity Catholic’s Ryan Kalkbrenner, who continues to ascend recruiting rankings swiftly, has already used two of his visits to see Stanford and Purdue. Earlier this week, 247Sports’ Brian Snow noted that the ground has shifted in the race ($) for Kalkbrenner’s pledge, moving away from Illinois toward the Cardinal, Boilermakers and Creighton.

All of the buzz around Kalkbrenner is with Purdue, Creighton and to some extent Stanford right now, and a decision does not seem very far away from being made.

This is a big official visit for the Boilermakers who have come on very strong in this recruitment and continue to be a major factor. It is possible that the Boilers get it done this weekend with Kalkbrenner, and that would close out their class."

He's a great fit for us - mobile, skilled, able to move and can play D as well. If we get him on campus next week, have to think odds are reasonably good he'll be a Jay

https://www.rockmnation.com/2019/9/6/20 ... alkbrenner
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 am

was an article on the Purdue site. Most behind the paywall, but doesn't appear there was a commitment

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-b ... r-on-visit

Wonder what the latest is on Murrell. I want one of the two. They have some good similarities - great academics, smart players with athleticism and length, both have a lot of room to gain ability with good S&C and coaching, but have good skills now. Murrell may be advanced in his offensive skills, but Kalkbrenner looks to me to be a bit better defensively now and is a bit bigger.

I like them both -- really want one of them, but we can easily play both as well.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jet915 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:was an article on the Purdue site. Most behind the paywall, but doesn't appear there was a commitment

Wonder what the latest is on Murrell. I want one of the two. They have some good similarities - great academics, smart players with athleticism and length, both have a lot of room to gain ability with good S&C and coaching, but have good skills now. Murrell may be advanced in his offensive skills, but Kalkbrenner looks to me to be a bit better defensively now and is a bit bigger.

I like them both -- really want one of them, but we can easily play both as well.

Kalkbrenner is a defensive stopper. Lead the Nike circuit with 4.5 blocks a game. I think he was named top defensive player of the circuit. I would think we would take both but we need to get atleast one of the two.
Jet915

Postby jaysfan3 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 pm

Had an in-home visit tonight. Hopefully they can seal the deal this weekend.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/stat ... 18752?s=21
jaysfan3

Postby Alphawalt » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:was an article on the Purdue site. Most behind the paywall, but doesn't appear there was a commitment

This article leads me to conclude this kid is signing with Purdue. He wants to be an engineer. Last time I checked, Creighton does not have an engineering school, Purdue has one of the best engineering schools in the country. Seems like an obvious decision to me.
Alphawalt

Postby ictjay » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 am

All true.
ictjay

Postby cu8493 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am

So if a kid's academic interest is really engineering and he has stated that, and if you are a coach at a school that doesn't have an engineering program, why do you put so much time and effort into recruiting that kid? That's the kind of thing with this staff that just leaves me shaking my head. Maybe the reports are wrong and he really wants to be an atmospheric scientist. Then we have a shot. Caveat: But of course I understand he may not have told the staff he is looking to engineering and I realize the article is geared toward Purdue fans. I hope I have to come back here and say I was wrong to doubt.
cu8493

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am

cu8493 wrote:So if a kid's academic interest is really engineering and he has stated that, and if you are a coach at a school that doesn't have an engineering program, why do you put so much time and effort into recruiting that kid? That's the kind of thing with this staff that just leaves me shaking my head. Maybe the reports are wrong and he really wants to be an atmospheric scientist. Then we have a shot. Caveat: But of course I understand he may not have told the staff he is looking to engineering and I realize the article is geared toward Purdue fans. I hope I have to come back here and say I was wrong to doubt.

We've pretty much made it to the kid's last 2 and people are focused on something he said to an opponent's recruiting site... Given we're in the last 2, I'm guessing we have academic interests that fit for him as well (was Us, Purdue and Stanford, but I"m guessing Stanford is out after getting Murrell)

We obviously have a ton to offer the kid - playing time in a system that will be great for him, a new S&C program, and a history of developing big men that go on to earn checks playing BBall. Creighton also has excellent academic programs that can fit a number of interests, and in particular chemistry for Kalkbrenner.

Also, we never know what's going on with the opponent's class - they could be slow playing him (they got onto him later than us and think they are in on Dickinson and Carlson -- and their Carlson visit is in the next week, I think, and Trey Kaufman and Furst for 2021)

He had his visit with Purdue, now it's our chance
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting