2019 Guard Shereef Mitchell (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 Guard Shereef Mitchell (Offered)

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Here's a much better (IMHO) interview with Mike'l Severe this afternoon. Highlights:

"I want to make (my decision) soon. I really don't have a set date for when I want to commit to where ever I want to go, but I just know I want it to be soon."

"Coach (Greg McDermott) obviously called me and just told me he wanted to offer me a scholarship. He thought that he saw me become a better player throughout time. And being a kid from Omaha, it means a lot. A lot of kids in Omaha dream of going to a school like Creighton since it is in Omaha. Being a kid from here, it's just a great thing to have under your belt. Being from Omaha and seeing those guys coming from OPS schools — Khyri went to Benson, Patton went to North — it just gives kids hope to show that anything's possible. If you work hard enough, then your dreams can come true, whether you want to be in the NBA, overseas, or whatever you want to do. Just keep working at it, work hard and maybe you could end up like them some day."

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recrui ... 14b52.html
WBR Tom

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm

how big is shereef now? how much bigger can he get in one year at prep school? If he's 6 foot then he will almost certainly have to be the smallest guard in any lineup. we have big guards that can handle the ball well so that might help offset the size discrepancy.. but if he is undersized I wonder how much of a factor he can be defensively.
Jaysker12

Postby LJay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Two words for you:

Bryce Cotton

I’ll have nightmares about that guy til the day I die.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JayPharmAlum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm

LJay wrote:Two words for you:

Bryce Cotton

Bryce Cotton is exactly the guy that I was using as a comparison for Mitchell when discussing him yesterday.
JayPharmAlum

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:how big is shereef now? how much bigger can he get in one year at prep school? If he's 6 foot then he will almost certainly have to be the smallest guard in any lineup. we have big guards that can handle the ball well so that might help offset the size discrepancy.. but if he is undersized I wonder how much of a factor he can be defensively.

Jacob's description of his defense from earlier in the thread:
He is a pure bucket-getter who is also an incredible on-ball defender.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm

JayPharmAlum wrote:
LJay wrote:Two words for you:

Bryce Cotton

Bryce Cotton is exactly the guy that I was using as a comparison for Mitchell when discussing him yesterday.

GREAT comp. Shereef is virtually the same size now -- 6'0", 160 pounds -- that Cotton was listed at as a senior at Providence. That dude might have been miniature but he had an incredible career in the Big East, and gave everyone headaches on both ends of the floor. I'll defer to Jacob on this as he's seen far more of Shereef than I have, but I do see a lot of similarities in their games.

For that matter, Shereef's bigger than Mo Watson already (Mo was listed at 5'10", which was generous).

Will Shereef have as brilliant of a collegiate career as those two guys? Who knows. But his size won't be the determining factor one way or another, IMHO.
WBR Tom

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I think the coaches must really see something special in him - because as of late - it sure seems like they've had a preference for bigger guards

get that commitment!!!
cujaysfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:how big is shereef now? how much bigger can he get in one year at prep school? If he's 6 foot then he will almost certainly have to be the smallest guard in any lineup. we have big guards that can handle the ball well so that might help offset the size discrepancy.. but if he is undersized I wonder how much of a factor he can be defensively.

Tyler Ulis was the SEC DPoY his last season at Kentucky.

I will say it was pretty startling seeing Shereef match up with Davion Mintz at Summer League on Monday. Davion towered over him. That being said, after a ridiculous first half Reef pretty much locked up Davion in the second. The kid is so quick. He doesn't have the size and length Tazz does but he has better feet for sure. There will be times guys shoot over the top of him or take advantage of him on the glass, but he's as good of an on-ball point-of-attack defender as I've seen. Creighton hasn't really had that at point guard since... Josh Dotzler?
JacobPadilla

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:47 pm

cujaysfan wrote:I think the coaches must really see something special in him - because as of late - it sure seems like they've had a preference for bigger guards

get that commitment!!!

I don't really know if that's the case. Marcus isn't exactly a big guy. I think they're just looking for talent and scheme fit.

BTW, Mac is apparently in New York today watching Shereef play in the Adidas Gauntlet Finale.
JacobPadilla

Postby drbluejay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

I think Shereef was like 5'-9 and 135 lbs as a freshman at Burke and he was in the starting lineup, mainly because of his defense vs pg's. He can flat out defend out front. He was also the fastest I saw last year pushing the ball coast to coast. Shereef is a diamond in the ruff and I can't wait for him to commit to Creighton.
drbluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting