2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 pm

I dunno. Redshirting and a 5th year scholie to a recovering foot/ankle injured player... vs giving that scholie to C/PF Epperson or other talented incoming C/PF frosh with 4 years of eligibility? Tough call. Now if ZH were to redshirt, then walk-on next season, well that's another story.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Big factor to keep in mind throughout this discussion - whether or not Patton is back for a second season. Obviously his departure drastically changes the outlook of the 17-18 season. But Zach returning would give us much needed experience, and if we didn't find a talented grad transfer to fill Patton's spot, I'd be more than happy with a healthy Hanson starting for us.

Part of me says though, Zach really adds so much to THIS YEAR's team, and with Mo gone next year, just play all your chips now. Bringing him back for the postseason could be crucial to a hypothetical run
Jaysker12

Postby Bluejoe » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 pm

There could always be a transfer at the semester that pays his way first semester and is eligible 2nd semester next year. Fischer from Marquette was like that. Sometimes it would actually be smart to keep a scholly available for this.
Bluejoe

Postby shadow » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 am

For the LAST time, Patten in NO way leaves after 1! Not ready and needs 20-25 lbs. Still unpolished...too raw. He will be anxious to play with this new bevy of talent and see how far they can go. I say 3 and done!
shadow

Postby Panhandle Jay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Next person to suggest Patton is leaving for NBA after this season get a slap in the face. He has a lot to develop still. He is a prospect at this point. Not a polished product.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:Next person to suggest Patton is leaving for NBA after this season get a slap in the face. He has a lot to develop still. He is a prospect at this point. Not a polished product.

I'm not saying he's leaving or not leaving, because I don't like getting slapped in the face, but there have been a ton of unpolished prospects that have gone pro. Polished or not, if he goes through the process and is told he'll get drafted - he very well could leave. Of course he has a lot to develop still. Nobody is saying otherwise. So did Chris Bosh, Noah Vonleh, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, etc. I'm not comparing Justin to any of those guys, but they were unpolished, raw, and not ready for pro ball right away (Vonleh still isn't) - but teams take chances on prospects/projects. Justin is certainly one of those.

Curiously, NBADraft.net has a profile for Patton - but doesn't have one for Marcus Foster.
DraftExpress NBA has JP listed as the #50 overall prospect. Marcus is ranked as the 47th ranked junior, which puts him way down overall. Telling you how much this site sucks, it has Marcus rated ahead of Justin on Big East prospects, but way below on overall prospects. Huh?

It's not a "slap in the face" position to be worried about, or discuss, this potentially happening. It's actually a pretty reasonable conversation.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Well here's what I will tell you all who don't believe. Once conference play starts, if Justin keeps himself around the 10pt 7reb level of production, he will be getting serious looks by scouts for the first round. I bet I could name five big men drafted over the last 3 years whose first descriptor was "unpolished". They see his height/length, his soft touch, and his ability to run the floor.
Jaysker12

Postby Oldfan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Exactly - it's not whether he's ready - it's whether he could be a first round pick. The NBA drafts big men based on potential and he has a ton. If he keeps it up, I think best case scenario is we get 2 years.
Oldfan

Postby ictjay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Oldfan wrote:Exactly - it's not whether he's ready - it's whether he could be a first round pick. The NBA drafts big men based on potential and he has a ton. If he keeps it up, I think best case scenario is we get 2 years.

Thank you Oldfan. I hope he stays 4 years, but look at the last 4 drafts, 1st rounders only, and tell me how many 7' footer's were drafted that most deemed not ready? Say what you will, be it could happen.

Glad everyone here appreciated what athleticism brings to the game when you are 7'. Been saying it since March. CU has new age athletes like you've never seen here before.
ictjay

Postby bird_call » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 am

DraftExpress just updated its big board today.

Patton isn't in the top 60. I am not saying he couldn't be a first round pick, but if he isn't even worth a profile right now, he's probably not going to be a first rounder.
bird_call

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting