2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 am

I made a post on the CBB subreddit. I think the lack of attention Justin has received is criminal. But eventually, important people will catch on and it will make for a great storyline. If he were at UK, Kansas, or Duke, I shudder to imagine where he'd be projected right now.
Jaysker12

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 am

bird_call wrote:DraftExpress just updated its big board today.

Patton isn't in the top 60. I am not saying he couldn't be a first round pick, but if he isn't even worth a profile right now, he's probably not going to be a first rounder.

Also, just thought I'd point this out

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Patton-7310/

patton is 50th in their current big board. I think that's a number that befits his status as a dark horse more so than one that is based off his production. However, they have no info on him (vid highlights, analysis). So they haven't even seen him yet.
Jaysker12

Postby drbluejay » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 am

vivid_dude wrote:
Panhandle Jay wrote:Next person to suggest Patton is leaving for NBA after this season get a slap in the face. He has a lot to develop still. He is a prospect at this point. Not a polished product.

I'm not saying he's leaving or not leaving, because I don't like getting slapped in the face, but there have been a ton of unpolished prospects that have gone pro. Polished or not, if he goes through the process and is told he'll get drafted - he very well could leave. Of course he has a lot to develop still. Nobody is saying otherwise. So did Chris Bosh, Noah Vonleh, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, etc. I'm not comparing Justin to any of those guys, but they were unpolished, raw, and not ready for pro ball right away (Vonleh still isn't) - but teams take chances on prospects/projects. Justin is certainly one of those.

Curiously, NBADraft.net has a profile for Patton - but doesn't have one for Marcus Foster.
DraftExpress NBA has JP listed as the #50 overall prospect. Marcus is ranked as the 47th ranked junior, which puts him way down overall. Telling you how much this site sucks, it has Marcus rated ahead of Justin on Big East prospects, but way below on overall prospects. Huh?

It's not a "slap in the face" position to be worried about, or discuss, this potentially happening. It's actually a pretty reasonable conversation.

I saw a projected draft for next year and it had Foster drafted 55th in the 2nd round. This was before everyone knew how good he was.
drbluejay

Postby bird_call » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Draft express has him ranked as the 24th pick in the 2018 draft, see the link below, and the 50th prospect overall.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

He could still move up enough to be a likely first rounder this year, but it will be tough because this year's draft is stacked.
bird_call

Postby TylerClementFanClub » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Hey all, first time poster here. I was just trying to piece together what our overall recruiting/roster was looking like for next season. Lately, (Besides Tugs of course) it seems that most of the CU recruiting news has been geared toward 2018/2019, which I suppose is reasonable considering now is the time those recruits are setting up lists and receiving offers. However, in regards to next season who all exactly are we still going in on? Obviously, Tugs is still (at least for the moment) our #1 priority, but after that the only name I can come up with is Tugs teammate Jacob Epperson, and I certainly would not put us as the favorites for either of those two. With at least two scholarship spots remaining I'm very curious as to what Mac has up his sleeve. The mid-season transfer Sam Dunkum also has to be considered as I believe he was told he would have the opportunity to "play for a scholarship". If I had to guess I would say he definitely does not get a scholarship if Patton decides to stay, but if Patton ultimately decides to leave then I think his scholarship will be given to Dunkum. This way we will almost certainly have exactly two extra scholarships to work with regardless of Dunkum. Assuming we do not land Tugs I would hope those spots would be used on forwards, like for instance Epperson. Perhaps there are some intriguing grad transfers that Mac will look into, or some under the radar names I'm not aware of, but at the moment I feel like how our team will be constructed next year is a complete mystery, with losing 4 seniors and potentially Patton we could be looking at a very different team!
TylerClementFanClub

Postby Panhandle Jay » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

TylerClementFanClub wrote:However, in regards to next season who all exactly are we still going in on? Obviously, Tugs is still (at least for the moment) our #1 priority, but after that the only name I can come up with is Tugs teammate Jacob Epperson, and I certainly would not put us as the favorites for either of those two. With at least two scholarship spots remaining I'm very curious as to what Mac has up his sleeve. The mid-season transfer Sam Dunkum also has to be considered as I believe he was told he would have the opportunity to "play for a scholarship". If I had to guess I would say he definitely does not get a scholarship if Patton decides to stay, but if Patton ultimately decides to leave then I think his scholarship will be given to Dunkum. This way we will almost certainly have exactly two extra scholarships to work with regardless of Dunkum. Assuming we do not land Tugs I would hope those spots would be used on forwards, like for instance Epperson. Perhaps there are some intriguing grad transfers that Mac will look into, or some under the radar names I'm not aware of, but at the moment I feel like how our team will be constructed next year is a complete mystery, with losing 4 seniors and potentially Patton we could be looking at a very different team!

Excellent and thoughtful first post. I have been thinking the same exact things recently as well. Say we don't land Bowen or Epperson and now we have two spots open. I would venture to hope/guess that transfers in the off-season would be the main target, whether that's grad transfers who can play immediately or not. There are always a few really good ones out there and to have one scholarship available to offer a guy that is a legit player is better in my opinion. I think most will disagree with me ethically and structurally, but I like getting transfers. They tend to work out with our coaching staff. Granted, I'll take Bowen lol. But if the second option is getting a proven guy at maybe a lower level who's hungry at the next level, I'll take that too.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Bluejoe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm

There is always another transfer. Sometimes, it even helps to have a scholarship to give to a mid year transfer if need be. If they are a proven commodity, it is less risky than giving it to a lower rated freshman. But, you have to balance both.
Bluejoe

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Bluejoe wrote:There is always another transfer. Sometimes, it even helps to have a scholarship to give to a mid year transfer if need be. If they are a proven commodity, it is less risky than giving it to a lower rated freshman. But, you have to balance both.

Jays will bring back Thomas, Mintz, Hegner, Harrell, Krampelj, Clement, Paras and Foster barring any unforeseen events. That's 8 players, 5-6 of those have seen significant minutes up to this point. The Jays will integrate Kaleb Joseph who will likely be a starter, if not a 20+ mpg player. Sprinkle in Alexander and Ballock who both seem poised to fight for playing time and you have at least 7-8 players who will be looked to contribute.

This projection does not include Patton. or Tugs. If Jays get Patton back that's 8-9 players who Mac seems to feel can play a significant role. That does not include Ronnie or Kobe who can very easily become guys Mac 'trusts'. Lets remember Harrell by all accounts was one of the best practice players on the squad leading up to Toby's big night against Wisky.

If Jays get Patton back and keep that initial core of 6-7 players, with the addition of Ballock and Alexander I would think Mac and staff would feel better about going after some solid transfers instead of reaching for freshman at this point. Jays would kill for Tugs obviously. They are high on Epperson. Outside that it seems quiet and I am not sure anyone available would be someone who could contribute in 2017-2018. At that point the transfer market is the best route to go.
hilltopalum

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:12 pm

tugs aside

i'm hoping for a big body post (big banger!!!)

and a def stopper wing (maybe tyshon or mitch is that guy) - but someone will have to take the reigns from KT in a few seasons.
cujaysfan

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Definitely need a big guy. Hanson and Huff are seniors, Patton is most likely headed to the NBA and Toby will be a senior next year.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting