2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 Recruiting - Overview thread

Postby taa71458 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 am

I'm sure it is because he committed to a Big East school and ESPN has a bias against the Big East.
taa71458

Postby Eye of the Jay » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:47 pm

He commits to Kansas and shoots into top 30 guaranteed. He's still top 100 recruit and there's little reasoning behind the drop. Not worried..ready to kick a$$ this year and then have both blue chip recruits come in to complement a top 15 squad in 2017
Eye of the Jay

Postby Jet915 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Even though Scout doesnt really like Alexander, they still have us as the #15 class in nation.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1700564-top-15-2017-class-rankings
Jet915

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:25 am

Question RE: recruiting:

Would it ever make sense strategically to hold back a scholarship for transfers/JUCOS? It gives the program a little flexibility in addressing needs, and filling gaps, on the roster. Ten years ago...or maybe even five years ago...I would have dismissed that idea altogether. But it seems that there is a new trend of higher-quality transfers who might be worth saving a spot for every offseason. We wouldn't want to do it in a Nebrasketball involuntary way because you can't get guys...but strategically save a spot.

Because of attrition and players also potentially transferring out of Creighton, maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense. I personally believe you go out, recruit hard, and get the best players possible when you have slots available. But I'd be interested what others, especially those who follow recruiting more closely than I do, would think about such an idea.
vivid_dude

Postby Creigh_All_Day » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Question RE: recruiting:

Would it ever make sense strategically to hold back a scholarship for transfers/JUCOS? It gives the program a little flexibility in addressing needs, and filling gaps, on the roster. Ten years ago...or maybe even five years ago...I would have dismissed that idea altogether. But it seems that there is a new trend of higher-quality transfers who might be worth saving a spot for every offseason. We wouldn't want to do it in a Nebrasketball involuntary way because you can't get guys...but strategically save a spot.

Because of attrition and players also potentially transferring out of Creighton, maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense. I personally believe you go out, recruit hard, and get the best players possible when you have slots available. But I'd be interested what others, especially those who follow recruiting more closely than I do, would think about such an idea.

Its all about the level of talent we want to welcome into our program. When we are out of options for 2017 recruits who will contribute at the Big East level, then its time to move onto 2018 recruiting and keep some scholarships open. After 2017-2018, only two scholarships open up (Toby and Marcus) so that is something to keep in mind for our 2018 class.

As far as transfers, I am not sure who wants to argue against bringing them in to our program when our 3 best players currently on our roster are transfers.
Creigh_All_Day

Postby b-jay fan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:43 pm

It seems to me our strategy there my have to do with what sort of position we need filled. Purely anecdotal, but it seems to me that there are a lot more guards and SF (maybe stretch 4's) who seem to hit the market than big men. Considering the dearth of talent we have coming in at the 2 and 3, we may want to look more to the high school ranks for depth inside.
b-jay fan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:29 am

b-jay fan wrote:It seems to me our strategy there my have to do with what sort of position we need filled. Purely anecdotal, but it seems to me that there are a lot more guards and SF (maybe stretch 4's) who seem to hit the market than big men. Considering the dearth of talent we have coming in at the 2 and 3, we may want to look more to the high school ranks for depth inside.

Big men are a premium in HS and in the JUCO/Transfer market. There just aren't that many of them. Our coaches have done a very good job of developing guys, but you have to have the raw material to work with, and I'm concerned that we don't have any bigs coming in for '17 right now.

You'd think Mac's ability to get big men skilled in fundamentals (and to get contracts) would be a big selling point to PF's and Centers -- Guys like Artino and Groselle have gotten overseas contracts and I don't know that anyone would have thought that a few years ago.

did this get posted somewhere else on Groselle?

http://www.basketball-loewen.de/presse/ ... erben.html
Chicagojayfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Butler folk seem to think a decision is coming soon from Christian David. If we miss on him, we've got 2 good kids in town - Chandler and Allen. Take the 1 that fills the biggest need and hold the last scholie for @20tugs or a spring transfer.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby White&BlueDude » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Butler folk are correct on the David's upcoming decision. He's done with visits and is meeting with Butler, Pitt, and the Jays on Friday.
White&BlueDude

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:10 am

Recruiting in the spring becomes a lot simpler for Mac and co if they have a good season/tourney run. You could argue the peak of this roster is not next year, even though two of its best three players will be gone. A good season now could give us great momentum. Maybe a landing spot for a talented grad transfer. Or some important HS kids who wait until April to make their decision.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting