2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby mredle » Mon May 01, 2017 3:53 pm

My friend vivid_dude has asked me to put in some paragraph breaks for the benefit of the reader. Taking my cue from Mark Twain, below are the breaks you requested. Please insert them where you feel they provide the best effect for the reader:
mredle

Postby LJay » Mon May 01, 2017 3:59 pm

AttyAlum wrote:They are both experienced coaches. I don't see why they wouldn't be solid at X&Os, teaching and motivating. Smart move by DePaul.

Can't agree with this. These guys have zero college coaching experience and they jump straight to a high major gig?!!? Did you ever watch LaLu run their stuff? Not much to coaching when you just outtalent others by a long way.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 pm

on DePaul:
1) Could well have lots of PT to offer new recruits.
2) Gotta give ol' Dave Leitao much love for having the gut, the huevos, and the chutzpah to go "all in" on revamping his staff. Bold moves to retool in order to get to the next level in Great lakes recruiting. Luv it. For a guy on a very short leash - gotta do what he's gotta do.
3) I think it's "too little - too late" for DePaul to snag Tugs, but i am loving the moxie...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby AttyAlum » Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm

LJay wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:They are both experienced coaches. I don't see why they wouldn't be solid at X&Os, teaching and motivating. Smart move by DePaul.

Can't agree with this. These guys have zero college coaching experience and they jump straight to a high major gig?!!? Did you ever watch LaLu run their stuff? Not much to coaching when you just outtalent others by a long way.

Colleges hire HS/AAU coaches all the time to be assistants. Frank Martin was a former HS coach that actually got banned from coaching HS ball in Florida when Huggins brought him aboard his staff at K State. Tiny Moton brought in a whole gaggle of guys to Seton Hall including Delgado. It happens all the time.

Each staff is allowed one head coach and three assistants, plus you can add other staff member positions. We have 3 assistants plus Vanderloo, Merfeld, Gordy, etc. With that many guys allowed to participate in a program it is not a necessity that they all be great X&O or strategy guys; stud recruiters are just as valuable. Since support staff isn't allowed to go on the road and recruit, the only place to slot those stud recruiters is as an assistant coach.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Oldfan » Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Every good organization needs the rainmakers that go out and get clients/make sales/get players.
Oldfan

Postby Duke1Agn » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 pm

We've got one in Preston Murphy.

I don't fault DePaul at all, but it does reek of desperation on their part. If they think opening a new arena is going to change the fact that like 9 students show up to games, they are crazy. The stadium is still nowhere near DePaul's (almost nonexistent) campus. The only increase in attendance I foresee is from downtown professionals catching a game after work.

Lincoln Park is a great neighborhood with a ton to do, but DePaul is the last school on earth I'd pick if I was a kid who only planned to play 1 year in college. The campus life sucks there, it's an average academic school, and as we all know, their program is probably the second worst major conference program in the country.

Sort of hard to raise your draft stock when your team is getting drilled by 25 every night. It's even worse when you're getting blown out in front of 1,500 uninterested fans. Also, there is 100% a risk of getting exposed if Tugs heads to DePaul and is asked to be "the guy" immediately. He is a great HS player, but he is not the type of player who can carry a Big East team to any sort of reasonable success alone.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Don't think I'd even be mad if he went to Depaul. Would be pretty funny to jump in the ol' Delorean with a headline of Tugs committing to Depaul and take it to our away game there this year when Jays fans were riding the high of seeing Tugs in the stands thinking he was checking us out.

Do agree with the above posters in that outside of having 2 coaches you know on the staff, Depaul really offers little benefit or flavor of college life or college basketball. Maybe one day they're return to being relevant but just can't see it in the near future.

Really hoping that the kid chooses wisely and can see that the Jays high-powered offense next year will be able to highlight his NBA potential. Need to get these some of these 3 spots filled...
Eye of the Jay

Postby drbluejay » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 am

Latest from 247sports
Michigan, 32%
Depaul 21%
Creighton 16%
Arizona, 16%
Foggy, 16%
I still like our chances of landing Bowen.
drbluejay

Postby BoarCommaThe » Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 am

drbluejay wrote:Latest from 247sports
Michigan, 32%
Depaul 21%
Creighton 16%
Arizona, 16%
Foggy, 16%
I still like our chances of landing Bowen.

Foggy should be 100%
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby Definitely a Jay » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am

Don't count out Tim Miles and Huskers.
Definitely a Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting