2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby #RollJays » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am

robry wrote:247 is now giving DePaul 5% Not that any of their predictions come true. They are all over the board on Tugs

Welp DePaul would definitely be the spot where he could average 25 ppg.
#RollJays

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 am

I get the whole wait and see mode, but if it comes at the costs of getting other quality players with tugs not coming here, that's bad. That's what I fear
bluejayfan00

Postby Realhoops » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:I get the whole wait and see mode, but if it comes at the costs of getting other quality players with tugs not coming here, that's bad. That's what I fear

I don't think anyone can say that we've missed anyone because of holding a spot open for him. But I wonder if we have lost anyone who might have committed here IF he had already committed to Creighton. For example, Maybe the kid from Michigan would have picked Creighton over Clemson if he knew that Bowen was going to be on the Jays' roster, etc. I don't know that we would ever know that, really, but that seems like the more likely way that we'd be missing out on someone as a result of the delay here. I mean, we've got three spots open right now, so it doesn't seem likely we're passing on people we'd like to have just to wait and see what Bowen does.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby mredle » Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 am

Let me apologize in advance. It's Monday and I'm a little cranky.
That being said, I am sick and tired of people whining about the time it is taking this kid to announce a decision. It's obvious the coaches are all in on this kid. Is there another kid out there that is as good that we have a chance of signing? Is it keeping us from pursuing others who might help the team? Last I checked we have two other scholarships available as well. There is not a "SIGN BY" stamp on this kid. In fact, if he signed with someone else this year and then wanted to transfer next year to CU, you would be wetting your pants with excitement and that would be another year of waiting. Some of you whining the loudest are also whining about us recruiting kids late in the process that might be a stretch and then don't work out. That's just what you are saying the coaches should do now. Many of you seem to also be the same people that are so fixated on the situation at the 5 that you are becoming apoplectic. You want a big, wide body, who doesn't have to score a lot but needs to rebound the hell out of the ball and can protect the rim? Anybody know of a kid like that is available right now and can do that in the Big East? Maybe the coaches should go on Amazon and just order one. A drone could make the delivery! Worst case scenario we play small ball. Some mix of Mintz/Joseph at the point, Foster and Thomas at the wings, Ronnie at the 4 and Toby at the 5. That's a starting line-up that is difficult to defend, Toby can flash the post and everyone else can go to the tin. With the possible exception of Joseph, everyone can shoot from range. Bigger players have to guard them all over the court. Mintz-haters might want to keep in mind that the kid was very productive the last half of the year, especially if you consider he barely saw any significant time (game on the line) until Watson went down. Also keep in time that when a player gets significant time the biggest jump in their game occurs the next year. Point in fact Doug McDermott went from being a kid it sometimes looked like his father wanted to disown and the news stories were about their relationship and the next year he was an All American. Our freshmen and Martin can provide reasonable depth off the bench. Epperson is already bigger than JP was and we can do what we did with JP when we play more physical posts - play someone else on the post and let Epperson come off their man to protect the rim. In short, stop whining. Let the thing play out and let's see where we are when we start the season.
mredle

Postby RxJay » Mon May 01, 2017 11:35 am

Mredle best post by anyone on this board in a long long time. Agree with everything you said.
RxJay

Postby ictjay » Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 pm

+1 Mredle Good thing about the incoming freshman. They are good, they know it and play like it. Always liked Martins potential. Another 3 pt/dunkfest coming up. Mintz will be fine. When season was falling apart, many unfairly wrote him off as a unsuitable PG. Idiots. He and Joseph will push each other into excellence. If we don't sign a 5, Epp needs to put on his big boy pants.
ictjay

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 01, 2017 1:19 pm

RxJay wrote:Mredle best post by anyone on this board in a long long time. Agree with everything you said.

I 100% second this. I didn't know you had it in you, mredle. My feelings exactly (so maybe you will re-think your position??)!

But seriously, can you mix in a few paragraph breaks? Content is great, but it's not very reader friendly. What the hell is the matter with you?

I will follow your great post by saying Brian Bowen owes NOTHING to fans at this point. Zero. Nothing. If he changes his mind again for reasons that he feels are best for his future, I pray to God he does it - otherwise, I question his intelligence. If we are the bridesmaid to Arizona pending the decision of Rawle Atkins, that's better than not being invited to the wedding at all. If Creighton misses out on other potential signees because of waiting for a 5-star, McDonald's All American who has expressed serious interest in Creighton, that is the cost of doing business. None of that translates to Tugs owing Creighton (or Michigan State...or Arizona) anything.

So, again, mredle nailed it. Stop whining.
vivid_dude

Postby WBR Tom » Mon May 01, 2017 2:45 pm

We all laughed at DePaul when they entered the conversation six weeks ago or so, but it might be time to consider them as a legit landing spot for Tugs. Leitao is now close to hiring Bowen's AAU coach -- Meanstreets AAU coach Tim Anderson -- after hiring his high school coach from La Lumiere over the weekend:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/depau ... assistant/

Even if Bowen ends up somewhere else, those are two smart, savvy moves by Leitao to get a foothold in the Chicago recruiting scene -- the coach of the top high school program and the coach of one of the top AAU teams in the metro would now be on DePaul's bench.
WBR Tom

Postby cujaysfan » Mon May 01, 2017 3:41 pm

provided those guys can X & O and teach skills and all that stuff, too

seems like a high risk - high reward or get canned again move

but - you're DePaul - what else you gonna do?
cujaysfan

Postby AttyAlum » Mon May 01, 2017 3:49 pm

They are both experienced coaches. I don't see why they wouldn't be solid at X&Os, teaching and motivating. Smart move by DePaul.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting