2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen (South Carolina Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 SF Brian "Tugs" Bowen

Postby mredle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

AttyAlum wrote:I doubt Patton's decisions is holding Tugs up. I suspect he is more concerned about guys that play his actual position (and may thereby limit his playing time if they return to college instead of going pro) than he is about JP.

Competition for playing time may be some part of the equation, but I think most players at that level have considerable confidence in their abilities and aren't worried that they might be the one fighting for time. I think it is more likely that he's considering what the "supporting" cast will look like as team success will likely have some effect on his level of performance and thereby his draft position. Regardless of which it is, he already knows who is graduating from each of these teams. So the question is who is leaving early and who is staying. Some of that may be answered for him by watching who announces they've hired an agent and who doesn't.
mredle

Postby BostonBlueJay » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:44 pm

mredle wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:I doubt Patton's decisions is holding Tugs up. I suspect he is more concerned about guys that play his actual position (and may thereby limit his playing time if they return to college instead of going pro) than he is about JP.

Competition for playing time may be some part of the equation, but I think most players at that level have considerable confidence in their abilities and aren't worried that they might be the one fighting for time. I think it is more likely that he's considering what the "supporting" cast will look like as team success will likely have some effect on his level of performance and thereby his draft position. Regardless of which it is, he already knows who is graduating from each of these teams. So the question is who is leaving early and who is staying. Some of that may be answered for him by watching who announces they've hired an agent and who doesn't.

Agreed. Players at Tug's level don't lack confidence--and if they do and are afraid of competition (face it, at this level, you'll have that--and if you want to go to a good team, you're GOING to get that) so if you're scared of competition, don't bother looking for D-1 ball because you're clearly not ready. But Tugs doesn't strike me as that type.
BostonBlueJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Pardon the interruption but if you remember last summer, several top 50 players, including a few top 25 guys transferred due to overcrowding at (Arizona-Justin Simon to StJ, UK-Charles Matthews to Mich, Mich St-2 or 3 transferred out , OU-Akolde Manyang, XU-Makinde London, ASU-Savon Goodman, and many more.) Bridges at Mich St's stock is dropping, and they have several wing players. Arizona has 5-6 wings, all high 4 or 5 star guys-that's why Simon left. There is only 1 ball and limits on PT. No such problems at Creighton-Tugs will probably start at Creighton.

He can go to MSU, Arizona and it is likely he would ride pine (the bench) and get spot minutes OR go to Creighton and at worst split time with Khyri. Maybe 5-8 mpg at "big public U" or a minimum of 15-20 at Creighton. Not a hard decision to make and the Jays style fits his game like a glove.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby NUgradCUfan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Pardon the interruption but if you remember last summer, several top 50 players, including a few top 25 guys transferred due to overcrowding at (Arizona-Justin Simon to StJ, UK-Charles Matthews to Mich, Mich St-2 or 3 transferred out , OU-Akolde Manyang, XU-Makinde London, ASU-Savon Goodman, and many more.) Bridges at Mich St's stock is dropping, and they have several wing players. Arizona has 5-6 wings, all high 4 or 5 star guys-that's why Simon left. There is only 1 ball and limits on PT. No such problems at Creighton-Tugs will probably start at Creighton.

He can go to MSU, Arizona and it is likely he would ride pine (the bench) and get spot minutes OR go to Creighton and at worst split time with Khyri. Maybe 5-8 mpg at "big public U" or a minimum of 15-20 at Creighton. Not a hard decision to make and the Jays style fits his game like a glove.

Split time with Taz? He's starting at the 4 over Toby immediately if he comes here.
NUgradCUfan

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:11 am

If he comes here he's playing 30+ at the 4 spot, with Toby splitting backup time at the 4 and 5.

He'd probably lead the team in scoring too.
HandDownManDown

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 am

HandDownManDown wrote:If he comes here he's playing 30+ at the 4 spot, with Toby splitting backup time at the 4 and 5.

He'd probably lead the team in scoring too.

Agree that he'll start, but don't know about 30+ minutes. Just depends. He'll be a feature player for sure, but he would NOT score more a game than Marcus. Sorry, that's just not happening.
bluejayfan00

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:33 am

The guy is a top 20 player nationally and possibly/probably a one and done.

Sorry, but you are underestimating the impact a guy like that has on a team.
HandDownManDown

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:46 am

I'm not underestimating him. He'll forsure be one of the feature players like I said. But Marcus is currently one of if not the top scorer in the league. Bowen is a special player, but I haven't seen too many 2018 NBA Mock drafts with him in a high draft spot. Let's pump the breaks and just get him here first, before we say if he did come here, he'd only be here a year.
bluejayfan00

Postby Panhandle Jay » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 am

I don't know shit about recruiting. But I don't think any freshman could come in and be our leading scorer over Marcus next season. I would sure like to see him try though! :D :D :D
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:02 pm

He doesn't scream one and done to me, and he needs to add a lot of weight, so probably not playing 30+ right away if he comes considering we here are all keen to how Mac handles freshmen PT. Don't think the rankings make a difference in how he would be integrated into the rotation by the staff. Nor do I think the rankings provide a 100% accurate read on any immediate impact he would make
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting