2016 F Xavier Sneed (K-State Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 F Xavier Sneed (Offered)

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Strrrrike 3! I mean, 8!
bluejayfan00

Postby cu8493 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:26 am

I think more of an intentional walk. Was there ever really much mutual interest? I know we offered and all, and got him in here on an unofficial. He appears to be a great athlete and reports are a pretty good defender, but I don't think he is a great, or even above average, shooter (35% 3s and 45% from 2 in highschool). We need a gifted shooter with our one schollie IMO.

Whether he put us in his top 5 or not, It appears to me that he was Illinois' to lose from the get go. Only issue at Illinois might be early playing time there. Although 247 has him 100% to Illinois, so that might be good news for Xavier or KState (or maybe its just the predicted Creighton commits that they can't get right).
cu8493

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 am

High schoolers continue to burn us. Why is this surprising to anyone? Transfers are where the coaches need to focus their energies, at least until we have more proven, sustained success in both the conference and the tournament
Jaysker12

Postby BoarCommaThe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14 am

Jaysker12 wrote:High schoolers continue to burn us. Why is this surprising to anyone? Transfers are where the coaches need to focus their energies, at least until we have more proven, sustained success in both the conference and the tournament

Huh? High schoolers continue to burn us? Where is that coming from?
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby ictjay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:34 am

Jaysker12 wrote:High schoolers continue to burn us. Why is this surprising to anyone? Transfers are where the coaches need to focus their energies, at least until we have more proven, sustained success in both the conference and the tournament

Why do they "burn"us? Creighton has made a living with coaches brothers/sons/local secrets/hidden recruits and other players deemed not ready for prime time D1. We have had coaches who later had success recruiting these top players we are not getting here presently. Perplexing. Dont buy "only the 3 rd year of BE play".
ictjay

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:42 am

BoarCommaThe wrote:

Huh? High schoolers continue to burn us? Where is that coming from?

Well, let's take a look at our last two recruiting classes

2014:
LGIII (did not show he was a Div. 1 level player during his time here, for whatever reason [injury, not a good fit] )
Ronnie (excited to see what he brings this year)
Devin Brooks (juco transfer)

2015:
Cole Huff (transfer)
Maurice Watson (transfer)
Martin Krampelj (not an American high schooler)
Malik Albert (juco transfer that was one year removed from competitive basketball)
Khyri Thomas (postgrad academy transfer)
Justin Patton (high schooler, but zero competition in securing his commitment)

Outside of these recruits, the staff has struck out on countless high schoolers. It's a clearly observable trend that, for whatever reason, the staff has targeted a level of talent that feels CU is below their threshold of prestige. If transfers can help us get more tourney wins, they go after transfers and let the consistent success translate into better recruiting success amongst high schoolers

edit: it appears people took issue with my use of the word "burn". The coaches devote tons of resources pursuing these high school recruits and they are all fruitless endeavors. Use whatever word you want, but they are turning us down for perplexing reasons
Jaysker12

Postby jfan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:41 am

It would be nice to get a highly ranked recruit just to end all the gnashing of teeth. (My teeth included) Any recruit--- 2016 or 2017
jfan

Postby JaysLifer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:Outside of these recruits, the staff has struck out on countless high schoolers. It's a clearly observable trend that, for whatever reason, the staff has targeted a level of talent that feels CU is below their threshold of prestige. If transfers can help us get more tourney wins, they go after transfers and let the consistent success translate into better recruiting success amongst high schoolers

edit: it appears people took issue with my use of the word "burn". The coaches devote tons of resources pursuing these high school recruits and they are all fruitless endeavors. Use whatever word you want, but they are turning us down for perplexing reasons

I don't follow other teams' recruiting so I may be off-base here, but it would seem to me that it's just a law of the numbers that we get "burned," as you put it. I'd imagine that every other team outside of the likes of Kentucky, Duke, UNC and Michigan St. consistently gets rejected. When you have dozens of players on your radar and you only have 1 or 2 spots available, and dozens of other teams are in the same boat competing for those same players, you're not going to bat 1.000, .500 or even .200. You're bound to get rejected far more often than you get accepted -- that seems to just be the nature of things.

I'd venture to guess that our recruiting "failures" seem greater now because (1) we're consistently aiming for an entirely different caliber of player than we were even 5 or 10 years ago, and (2) we now know every little move thanks to social media, message boards, etc. There was a time not too long ago when we fans wouldn't know about a player until he either committed or, in some cases, set foot on campus. Obviously, if that's the case with the guys who committed, we didn't know anything about the likely countless players who were offered but decided to go elsewhere before that player committed.

If you're expecting nothing but recruiting successes, you need to adjust your expectations. And if the "misses" bother you that much, you might be better off ignoring recruiting altogether.
JaysLifer

Postby CURx » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:56 pm

I would argue that it is essential to go after high schoolers and develop players over 4-5 years versus relying on Juco and transfer kids. It develops programs, it keeps them consistent and you tend to not see the peaks and valleys between years when you go that rout. Now I understand that we have recruited a fair amount of Juco and transfer kids the last 2 years but I take that as we needed immediate talent upgrade and can't wait for 4 or 5 17 and 18 year olds to develop while hoping that 1 or 2 is ready to make an immediate impact. I like what the staff has done in terms of their recruiting so far and I think we will continue to see them go after high school kids with the occasional transfer or Juco that can fill the gaps that may occur.
CURx

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 pm

This is like ground hog day.
TrueBlueJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting