2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder (Kentucky Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:19 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:
Bluejay Bilas wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:I'm always puzzled by the applauding of the recruitment of new guys when it's obvious that means somebody on the current roster has to go. In the absence of a reason such as homesickness, grades, failed drug tests, etc., this means the staff's evaluation of a current player was wrong and they weren't able to develop him when he got here. So now the same staff has evaluated a new player and we're excited?

I'm not ripping on the staff, recruiting is partly a crap shoot. I just don't get all the excitement here for something that obviously means pushing out a player, especially when we love the current culture. To each his own in the world of anonymous message board posting, I guess.

Generally, that's pretty accurate. But remember that 4 of the 13 current scholarship guys were MVC commits. The transition has created a unique situation. It was at least partially responsible for Johnson, Yates, Harris, Norton, and Talbert going elsewhere. If we end up with another MVC guy leaving, hard to blame staff evaluation for that.

So you're cool with, say, telling Hanson to find a new school?

Not really. But, Hanson or Hegner leaving would be different in terms of the Wiz of Westroads evaluation concern than if Gilmore or Harrell left. Guess I'd feel about the same about it as I did when Harris left year. Not ideal, but the team did go 4-14 in conference partially cause there was a big talent gap between CU and the top teams.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby PorkTornado » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:26 pm

So is this dude going to commit or what?
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby westojay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:31 pm

This team is void of talent to win in this league, something needs to be done to change that. Sometimes changes are needed, just like in the real world. I am not sure if that is the direction we are going but I would support said decision if it were to happen.
westojay

Postby R Jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 pm

PorkTornado wrote:So is this dude going to commit or what?

Doesn't sound like he (or Malique) did, but considering that no one has publicly announced they're leaving, it's not surprising.

hilltop, any more info to pass along regarding our visitors?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Jeremyhauer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm

People get excited about recruiting because these new players are supposed to make our team better. After all that is why they are being recruited. Don't get all emotional about players leaving. Believe it or not, Creighton may not be the best situation for everybody. If a player decides to leave or gets asked to leave, it can work out for both parties. If someone ends up leaving, wish them the best, but it doesn't mean our culture is in jeopardy.
Jeremyhauer

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:58 pm

mredle wrote:That's exactly what I'm saying, Mac is bringing in these players, and people are applauding this. And I think everyone would agree that I have certainly been supportive of Mac as coach. But I'm asking the questions, what does it say about the program and the culture and maybe us as well?

Great questions.

I agree with the poster who stated we are not in the midst of a mass turnover. The 5 seniors are graduating and we filled those 4 scholies. It seems Coach wants to bring in 1 or 2 jucos guards as insurance against having to rely solely on frosh as backups. Seems a good move.

We don't yet know if anyone will depart. Could be we get no more commits and stand pat. Perhaps we will get commits from 1 or both juco players? We don't know if IZ can return although his recovery is progressing nicely. We don't know if Geoff wants to/will return, although he still has eligibility. If they both return it prompts Coach to have to make some tough calls.

As for the program...this sort of over signing goes on annually (S'cuse, L'ville, UK, Kansas, and many other schools). We never ran into big league issues because we were not a big league school. We missed a lot on high end recruits, but always picked up enough 3 star guys to compete effectively at the mid major level. Now that the Jays are in a big boy league, the perception of coaches, fans, and the public changes. Perhaps the coaches are overreacting a bit, but it has been 20 years since CU had a losing season - perhaps an overreaction is warranted? The possibility of cutting players who are judged as having peaked, in order to bring in fresh talent, is not savored not relished-but is a necessary evil as a top 50 program.

The program and culture have to grow, adapt, and periodically reassess it's state of affairs as Creighton. Fortunately, it is not an "all or nothing" scenario. Changes can occur incrementally and gradually.

As for us fans - we too must grow, adapt, and reassess as well.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Nm
Last edited by section221jay on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
section221jay

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:43 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:So you're cool with, say, telling Hanson to find a new school?

Yes, but I'd rather it be for another forward.
section221jay

Postby TBC Alum » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:21 pm

PorkTornado wrote:So is this dude going to commit or what?

Perhaps the better question ... with where this thread has wandered ... is "Other than that Mr. Mulder, how was the visit?"
TBC Alum

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:40 pm

westojay wrote:This team is void of talent to win in this league

Nonsense. You don't know what we really have, because with unseen transfers, incoming freshmen, and redshirts nobody does, and besides that we could have wound up in the tournament with slightly better play.
HandDownManDown

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting