2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder (Kentucky Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 JUCO SG Mychal Mulder

Postby mredle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
mredle wrote:I completely understand peoples comments, everybody loves winning - me included. But as long as things have started down this path no sense in turning back now. A lot of people on this board really touted Coach Mac's post game talk after the loss to the Hoyas in the Big East tournament. Part of that talk focused on the growth of the player's that were graduating but part of it had to do with how special the program is. Are any of us asking questions about that right now?

If we went in and did mass turnover, yes, I would be asking questions. There's no indication that is happening right now. It's a rare year when nobody leaves (even for us), and multiple departures aren't all that uncommon in college ball in general.

Nor do all departures have to do with coaches forcing someone out -- guys want to play closer to home, don't like the city, want a different campus, decide they want a different system, don't like the competition, feel they want more minutes and not a backup role, etc., etc.,

All of your points are true and valid. Permit me this last response because after this I'm going to sit back and just watch whatever happens. The fact that multiple departures aren't at all uncommon is true, but do we really want a program like Kentucky, even with all of their winning and National Championships? The reasons for departures that you suggest in the last paragraph are all true and don't trouble me a bit. But given the fact that we were hearing about the coaching staff pursuing these two players and being interested in Marcus Foster before Mac had even had his end of season meetings with the players slated to return, I'm question whether they are applicable. Finally, I remember during the first couple of years in Mac's tenure people talked about how some of the problems Mac had at ISU resulted from him going after players with lots of talent but perhaps not lots of character. I didn't pay much attention to ISU during those times so I really don't know. But the narrative seemed to be that the effort to put more wins on the board changed the culture for the worse. I'm not suggestion that either of these two players or Marcus Foster are low character people. I'm just wondering about whether we are witnessing a change in the culture and character of the program.
mredle

Postby jfan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:40 pm

mredle wrote:That's exactly what I'm saying, Mac is bringing in these players, and people are applauding this. And I think everyone would agree that I have certainly been supportive of Mac as coach. But I'm asking the questions, what does it say about the program and the culture and maybe us as well?

mredle, I don't necessarily think that the continued recruiting says anything bad about the program. As ChicagoJayFan said, there could be a number of reasons why we are looking at other players. Even if the coaches have decided that a current player needs to move on, we don't, and probably never will, know all of the reasons why. Even with occasional disappointments, the future potential of Creighton basketball has never been brighter and the coaches have always shown great integrity in dealing with players. Last year we had transfers, but the transfers occurred before the additional recruiting. This is the first year, in my memory, that we are recruiting after reaching the scholarship limit and this is making some uneasy. Right now, I trust the coaches will do the best thing for the players and the program.
jfan

Postby R Jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Sounds like both JUCOs have headed home without committing.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm always puzzled by the applauding of the recruitment of new guys when it's obvious that means somebody on the current roster has to go. In the absence of a reason such as homesickness, grades, failed drug tests, etc., this means the staff's evaluation of a current player was wrong and they weren't able to develop him when he got here. So now the same staff has evaluated a new player and we're excited?

I'm not ripping on the staff, recruiting is partly a crap shoot. I just don't get all the excitement here for something that obviously means pushing out a player, especially when we love the current culture. To each his own in the world of anonymous message board posting, I guess.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 pm

R Jay wrote:Sounds like both JUCOs have headed home without committing.

I would be surprised if anyone publicly commits or transfers in before we announce any attrition regarding our current players.
Dough Boy

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 pm

fritzpointer wrote:Or 1 or 2 may be willing to walk on to have a better team. Go Jays!

This is a dream.
HandDownManDown

Postby R Jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Dough Boy wrote:
R Jay wrote:Sounds like both JUCOs have headed home without committing.

I would be surprised if anyone publicly commits or transfers in before we announce any attrition regarding our current players.

True. Good point.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:09 pm

When nine people show up for practices to work their asses off right after a season ends for a program, can we ever really say, 'well, they must have had a foot out the door already' if they suddenly up and leave? Especially in light of Piv's comments?

Mac will never say 'I told him we needed his scholarship for XXXXXXX, so he's out'. No matter how it goes down it'll be mutual - don't fool yourself.
HandDownManDown

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I'm always puzzled by the applauding of the recruitment of new guys when it's obvious that means somebody on the current roster has to go. In the absence of a reason such as homesickness, grades, failed drug tests, etc., this means the staff's evaluation of a current player was wrong and they weren't able to develop him when he got here. So now the same staff has evaluated a new player and we're excited?

I'm not ripping on the staff, recruiting is partly a crap shoot. I just don't get all the excitement here for something that obviously means pushing out a player, especially when we love the current culture. To each his own in the world of anonymous message board posting, I guess.

Generally, that's pretty accurate. But remember that 4 of the 13 current scholarship guys were MVC commits. The transition has created a unique situation. It was at least partially responsible for Johnson, Yates, Harris, Norton, and Talbert going elsewhere. If we end up with another MVC guy leaving, hard to blame staff evaluation for that.

I don't think Mac's in Crean, Pitino, etc. oversigning territory at this point, especially as nothing's yet happened, but the concerns on here are kind of legit.
Last edited by Bluejay Bilas on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Bluejay Bilas wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:I'm always puzzled by the applauding of the recruitment of new guys when it's obvious that means somebody on the current roster has to go. In the absence of a reason such as homesickness, grades, failed drug tests, etc., this means the staff's evaluation of a current player was wrong and they weren't able to develop him when he got here. So now the same staff has evaluated a new player and we're excited?

Generally, that's pretty accurate. But remember that 4 of the 13 current scholarship guys were MVC commits. The transition has created a unique situation. It was at least partially responsible for Johnson, Yates, Harris, Norton, and Talbert going elsewhere. If we end up with another MVC guy leaving, hard to blame staff evaluation for that.

So you're cool with, say, telling Hanson to find a new school?
HandDownManDown

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting