recruiting results discussion thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: recruiting results discussion thread

Postby CURx » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:09 pm

I agree that there is a perception correlation between rankings and the programs recruiting the kid. But you can also take that as a chicken vs. egg sort of argument. Is the kid being ranked as high as he is because MSU, or UNC, or Ohio St. offered the kid or is the kid that highly rated because it is so obvious that he is that good its a no-brainer to rank him high regardless of who is recruiting him? I would go with the former. A kid gets his ranking because those coaches/schools are sniffing around and so the kid must be good. Kind of with Mr. Patton. If he had signed with Drake for example and not had "Creighton from the Big East" snatch him up would he have jumped in the rankings as much? I would lean towards no.

And this isn't a knock against Creighton, the coaching staff, last years squad, or any other regarded team of CU past but a trip to the Sweet 16 would do wonders for legitimizing the basketball program. As I stated above. Mr. McQuaid pretty much guaranteed himself a couple of trip to the Sweet 16 during his career and potentially a Final Four. Right now that is something Creighton cannot sell to a recruit. A trip to the Dance and the weekend games of the first weekend, but that is not the same.
CURx

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:13 pm

CURx wrote:I agree that there is a perception correlation between rankings and the programs recruiting the kid. But you can also take that as a chicken vs. egg sort of argument. Is the kid being ranked as high as he is because MSU, or UNC, or Ohio St. offered the kid or is the kid that highly rated because it is so obvious that he is that good its a no-brainer to rank him high regardless of who is recruiting him? I would go with the former. A kid gets his ranking because those coaches/schools are sniffing around and so the kid must be good. Kind of with Mr. Patton. If he had signed with Drake for example and not had "Creighton from the Big East" snatch him up would he have jumped in the rankings as much? I would lean towards no.

And this isn't a knock against Creighton, the coaching staff, last years squad, or any other regarded team of CU past but a trip to the Sweet 16 would do wonders for legitimizing the basketball program. As I stated above. Mr. McQuaid pretty much guaranteed himself a couple of trip to the Sweet 16 during his career and potentially a Final Four. Right now that is something Creighton cannot sell to a recruit. A trip to the Dance and the weekend games of the first weekend, but that is not the same.

Much of this is true, but there are certainly cases where the opposite is true. Look at Roosevelt Smart, for example, a Rivals150 player. He just committed to Loyola Chicago. He had offers from us (a long, long time ago), Northern Illinois, and some other bad mid-major. So either the ranking guys are totally wrong, or a ton of coaches missed the boat on him, including ours. His ranking certainly wasn't based on the programs recruiting him.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby CURx » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:37 pm

True statement. But 1 or 2 out of 150 isn't a great % for anything. At that point you have to wonder if there is more going on then just sheer physical/basketball talent that may be obvious to recruiting experts. Is the kid a head-case, or have a grades liability? At that point it may be a risk for a school like Chicago-Loyola but carry a high reward if things do go through and thus worth the schollie offer. The big boys at that point can pass and go after other kids of similar ilk that don't carry those issues.

And I am in NO WAY saying that your example player has, has had, or will have issues. I am simply running with your example to make a counter argument to your counter argument.
CURx

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 pm

CURx wrote:Is the kid a head-case

Creighton knows nothing about top 150 kids like that:
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... nett-29091

Totally agree that a trip to the Sweet Sixteen or beyond would be immensely helpful for our legitimacy. One of several reasons why the Baylor debacle was so maddening to experience.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Creighton, as a new member in one of the major conferences, with no former allegiance to another major conference, is doing quite well. A former MVC team who has snagged 2 Top 150 recruits in both seasons in the Bigs. It is a good start. We just need to improve our standing amongst the majors and our recruiting will benefit. The point above irt to NCAA performance (making a SS or better) will be a tremendous boost to our profile, aiding our conference affiliation and other assets.

Didn't do last year's numbers, but this year we are roughly getting 1 verbal/25 offers or a 4% capture rate on recruits. With improvements to our perception profile (via better NCAA tourney performance) we can improve our capture rate to 8% (1/12) or as high as 10%. Legends are supposedly made in March - I would submit that better recruiting results are also fostered in March.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby CURx » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Well played sir. Kind of one of those the big boys passed and he fell to us as a high risk high reward type kid...at least that's what I will tell myself. Oh the memories.

On a complete side note, while i was looking at the Rivals 150 for my arguments sake, although I guess I can't really use that as my argument since I argued against rankings, but Arizona has 4 kids ranked #31 or better :shock: . What are they selling in Tucson?
CURx

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:10 pm

CURx wrote:What are they selling in Tucson?

I think the better question is "what are they buying?"
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby ZMagic30 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:
CURx wrote:What are they selling in Tucson?

I think the better question is "what are they buying?"

Nothing that can't be reimbursed with one NBA paycheck
ZMagic30

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:19 pm

ultimately - this is all Mac's fault

wtf is he thinking?

right now his hit rate is .500 on sons that become all americans

if he and the mrs had gone and had about 10 more - we probably could have expected at least 2-3 more superstars
cujaysfan

Postby jfan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:50 pm

It's never too late. They're young!
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting