recruiting results discussion thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: recruiting results discussion thread

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55 pm

jayball wrote:Image

What reason do you have to question the coaches on the recruiting front?

They aren't working hard enough......bullcrap.

They aren't getting ranked players....wrong, but people need to realize that not every good player is gonna be top 50 or top 100. There are 5 players on the court at time and 1 ball.

We can't compete with the Big East....how the f do you know that? We competed pretty damn well with an MVC roster.

Most of the posters on here know jackshit about anything. We read internet articles done mostly by fanboys and watch highlight videos with zero understanding of the level of competition begin faced. I enjoy following recruiting, but you are gonna be on miserable SOB if you are gonna hyperanlayze every bit of it from what you read on the web. I think it's unfair to start calling out staff when the class isn't finished yet.

We are gonna have 50 nos to every yes.

deal with it.

I want to see these guys continue their run of success as much as you do, and I think there is good reason to envision that happening.

Some of my problem on this front may relate to paying attention to the reporting of CU recruiting and watching as most every guy who is considered a top target or high priority ends up at a different school. Not suggesting here that we should be winning every battle or even most battles. Or, that we haven't ended up with some really good players. But to me, it's natural in this new world of CU athletics to have some concern about the transition, especially on a CU recruiting news day such as today.
Last edited by Bluejay Bilas on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby jayball » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm

taa71458 wrote:I guess I missed the board rule where no one is allowed to be critical

Critical because an 17 year old chooses to at basketball at Michigan state near his grandparents?

Really?

How about some perspective?
jayball

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:11 pm

jayball wrote:
taa71458 wrote:I guess I missed the board rule where no one is allowed to be critical

Critical because an 17 year old chooses to at basketball at Michigan state near his grandparents?

Really?

+1.

You can be critical. You also should be reasonable. You're missing the latter.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby taa71458 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:15 pm

jayball wrote:

Really?

Not at all what I'm referring to, try again
taa71458

Postby R to the OB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Does everyone here know why we won in The Valley? Talent. We had more talent (and we used it well, too, but that's another issue entirely) than Bradley, Drake, Wichita, Illinois St., etc. That's why I am concerned. We need top level talent to compete. That's why Georgetown, Marquette, and Villanova are successful year in and year out. The staff needs to identify and bring in that talent to continue to win. Plain and simple.
If our staff can't do it and we can't win, well, they have to be held accountable. And no, I'm not saying that Mac and company needs to be fired on the spot or at the end of the year if we end up under-performing, so don't get all defensive.
Despite my comments I am still optimistic about where this program is going, but I also realize that a winning program requires players who are able to win.
R to the OB

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:29 pm

R to the OB wrote:Does everyone here know why we won in The Valley? Talent. We had more talent (and we used it well, too, but that's another issue entirely) than Bradley, Drake, Wichita, Illinois St., etc. That's why I am concerned. We need top level talent to compete. That's why Georgetown, Marquette, and Villanova are successful year in and year out. The staff needs to identify and bring in that talent to continue to win. Plain and simple.
If our staff can't do it and we can't win, well, they have to be held accountable. And no, I'm not saying that Mac and company needs to be fired on the spot or at the end of the year if we end up under-performing, so don't get all defensive.
Despite my comments I am still optimistic about where this program is going, but I also realize that a winning program requires players who are able to win.

Dude. Step back from the ledge. You honestly just brought up firing Coach Mac in a post? Whether you were being facetious or not doesn't even matter in this case. That's absurd. I'm glad you're still optimistic though. Sure seems like it.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby mel ott » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:31 pm

R to the OB wrote:Does everyone here know why we won in The Valley? Talent. ..., but I also realize that a winning program requires players who are able to win.

Let me write that one down. I assume everyone would be disappointed that we didn't get our targeted recruit. For people to spend time saying that we need to get top talent to compete is a little obvious. I don't think you're telling the coaches anything they don't know. I also don't see where these comments, especially about anyone on our existing team or recruits, will have any positive benefit. If some have a great idea on how the coaches could do better recruiting, I would suggest giving them a call.
mel ott

Postby CURx » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:34 pm

It's a disappointment that we weren't able to get a commit from McQuaid but can you blame the kid? We have already seen reasons why he choose MSU and isn't it Izzo that has the track record (it may have been broken this year) that if you stay 4 full years under him you will get to play in a Final Four? Certainly multiple Sweet 16s.

I guess I don't understand the infatuation with recruit rankings. There are 1000's of kids playing high school basketball right now and hundreds are going to play in college. There will be a large majority of the current top 100 or 150 that will never make an impact at their respective school and there are a few that aren't ranked that will be major contributors at solid basketball schools. No one knows how a kid will react to adversity, college life, studies, girls, being away from home, yadda yadda yadda. Is Justin Patton really a top 50 player in the entire country? Is Kerwin Roach the 34 best? Marcus LoVett the 90? Who the eff knows and for people to make honest "rankings" after seeing a kid play for 3 or 4 games in a summer league game is ludacris to me. The only reason "evaluators" have a job like that is cause schmucks like us pay for their websites and let them give faux-ratings on 17 year olds. If they were really that great at evaluating talent wouldn't they be in a real basketball job? Maybe that isn't a fair comment but we can debate that later.

I can see where the top 10 kids really stand out based on skill and maturity at the age of 16 or 17; i.e. Lebron or Carmelo. But after that, really? There are some really nice basketball players out there to be recruited still and one or two are going to become Jays. From there it is up to the staff to teach and develop and maximize those abilities to make them and Creighton the best basketball players and school that they can be.
CURx

Postby FreddyMac » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:39 pm

R to the OB wrote:Does everyone here know why we won in The Valley? Talent. We had more talent (and we used it well, too, but that's another issue entirely) than Bradley, Drake, Wichita, Illinois St., etc. That's why I am concerned. We need top level talent to compete. That's why Georgetown, Marquette, and Villanova are successful year in and year out. The staff needs to identify and bring in that talent to continue to win. Plain and simple.

I actually don't agree with that. We had solid talent but frankly there were years where on paper even Drake was bringing in better players. There were also years where Illinois State's talent made us look low-major. However, we've always had a system and year in and year out we did a heckuva job of recruiting to that system. I guess unfortunately it was a system built to be great in the Valley but not really to make long runs in the NCAA tournament.

I also think our culture as opposed to most teams in the Valley kept us up there. The players that came in knew what prior teams had done and the large crowds certainly kept the expectations high. Take the exact same kid and send him to Drake or Creighton. At what place is he more motivated to work hard and become a better player? I'm guessing at Creighton where his hard work results in him running onto the court in front of 17,000 people rather than running out into a high school gym. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that we need to bring in good talent to win in the Big East but I do think there is more to winning than just talent. Frankly we just weren't all that much more talented than other Valley teams to account for how long a run we had at the top of that conference.
FreddyMac

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 pm

CURx wrote:I guess I don't understand the infatuation with recruit rankings...

very valid points (not just the quoted, but the stuff I deleted as well). as far as I'm concerned:
1. any analysis I've seen demonstrates a definite correlation between team success and the recruiting caliber of the players on that team. so while plenty of the rankings on an individual basis prove way off over time, and there are exceptions to be found, there is evidence to suggest that your team is better off with players who are highly (or at least) rated by the various recruiting services. so, all other things equal (which we as Creighton fans don't necessarily think they always are, cause we've seen Altman and Mac do great things with unranked players), a team's chances of achieving success are improved or worsened based on where the players on that team supposedly stood in high school when compared to their classmates.
2. those rankings, and who goes where, impacts program perception, which is not totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and which certainly has an impact on future recruiting.
Bluejay Bilas

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting