2015 IA G Marlon Stewart (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 IA G Marlon Stewart

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

I do like the idea of a 6'3" PG...

We've got a ton of native Iowans posting here. Any of you able to break down the kid's game?
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby fritzpointer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:42 am

If someone would have told me we would get a visit from North Scott I would have guessed Cortez Seales. We've been watching him for more than 3 years. I guess will see what happens here. Go Jay!
fritzpointer

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 am

It appears Marlon does not have an offer from us at the moment. However, I'd be surprised if we are bringing at 2015 player in for an official at this stage without the intention of making an offer soon. Really interested to see what happens this weekend.

It looks like we'll have Chris Clarke and Marlon Stewart on the hilltop this weekend. Anyone know who the third visitor Piv referenced was?
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

westojay wrote:Wonder if this means we don't stand very well with Hudson/the Robinsons/ Buie..

It’s borderline incomprehensible that such would be the case right now with Galen Robinson or Desure Buie (or Noah Blackwell, for that matter). I definitely buy the notion that we’re not in the lead for Justin Robinson or Ty Hudson. It’s also unclear how hard we’re going after Hudson, right now.

As of now, it looks like Stewart is making an official visit without first receiving an offer. There could be several reasons why he’s visiting. The staff might think he has as much promise as the other available PGs. They might want to see how he looks in a scrimmage with the current guys and the other visitor(s). They might want another backup option if we do miss on our top targets (it’s unclear to me who the staff views as their top PG target- it’s clear that Clarke and McQuaid are the two players the staff really, really wants, but beyond those two I’m as lost as anyone else). The krossover blurp about Stewart is promising, and he’s plainly someone who is wanted by several mid-major schools. Is he more than that? Who knows.

We probably just need a competent back up PG for the two Mo Watson years. Something more than that from this class would be a bonus, but since 2015 is meant to be a very weak year for point guards, and we’re not in the running for the top dozen or so guys in this supposedly poor PG class, it would be wise to temper expectations.

Our staff did find Chatman, who was not rated as one of the 50 best PGs in his class, so there’s that. But, the same staff also brought in Yates the following year, and we all know how un-D1 ready he looked during his one year in Omaha. Maybe Yates will do really well at Cleveland State, but if the staff lands a 2015 PG, said PG needs to be considerably better than Yates was, so there is some semblance of a safety net beneath Watson. It’s always my concern with these off or very under the radar prospects that the player in question is as likely to be like Nevin Johnson, Andre Yates or Darian Harris as he is to be like Chatman, Manigat, or others who greatly exceeded recruiting rating expectations.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am

Bluejay Bilas wrote:It’s always my concern with these off or very under the radar prospects that the player in question is as likely to be like Nevin Johnson, Andre Yates or Darian Harris as he is to be like Chatman, Manigat, or others who greatly exceeded recruiting rating expectations.

Yep. It's a coin flip. But I'm always interested when we get involved with a player whose stock appears to be rising fast, like Justin Patton. They seemingly had the eye to recognize his potential before anyone else. Maybe that's the case here too. But you made a lot of good points in your post as to the reasons they are having him for an official.
Duke1Agn

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:It appears Marlon does not have an offer from us at the moment. However, I'd be surprised if we are bringing at 2015 player in for an official at this stage without the intention of making an offer soon. Really interested to see what happens this weekend.

We brought in Isaiah Moss a few weeks back and he didn't have an offer at the time. He also returned back home without an offer.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Duke1Agn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:It appears Marlon does not have an offer from us at the moment. However, I'd be surprised if we are bringing at 2015 player in for an official at this stage without the intention of making an offer soon. Really interested to see what happens this weekend.

We brought in Isaiah Moss a few weeks back and he didn't have an offer at the time. He also returned back home without an offer.

I don't think that was an official visit, but I could be wrong.
Duke1Agn

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:

I don't think that was an official visit, but I could be wrong.

You are right, that was an unofficial.
Jet915

Postby LJay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Many Tweets stating the Jays have offered Marlon Stewart on the visit.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby WBR Tom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:49 pm

LJay wrote:Many Tweets stating the Jays have offered Marlon Stewart on the visit.

Yep. One of those reporters, Corey Evans of NY2LA Sports, says Stewart has potential visits to Dayton and Wichita State in the coming weeks, adding credence to the theory that he's a late-bloomer, recruiting wise -- those are much bigger names than the schools that were after him initially.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 8971695105
WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting