2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Verbal Commit)

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:39 am

Time to hide the kid. Someone take away his cell phone. We sure don't need Roy or Bill giving him a call to "congratulate" him. On the serious side, I do hope he works as hard at getting his academics in order as he is working on his basketball. That is ultimately a more important discipline than the game of basketball - even if he has the possibility of great earning potential at the next level some day. Maybe he should have a conversation with Anthony Tolliver about the importance of his academics.
cu8493

Postby section202jay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:01 am

A 6-10 guy with handles that likes to play on the perimeter and go coast-to-coast. Sounds like we just got Kevin Durant. :D

In all seriousness I think this is exciting. He wasn't highly recruited but sounds like he has good potential and he's a local kid, so that adds to my excitement.

Congrats, Justin!
section202jay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:15 am

Welcome aboard JP...three stars, four stars or zero stars doesn't much matter to me. Sounds like the perfect type of player we need to run this up tempo offense and he has a huge upside. Also, he may not be able to flex like Gregory, but I have a feeling Justin will be able to protect the rim.
TrueBlueJay

Postby mredle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:45 am

Duke1Agn wrote:Wow. That seems completely out of nowhere.

Does this hurt our chances with guys like Schwartz, Falzon, and Illikainen?

I think the message it sends to a kid like Illikainen is that Mac sees him at the 4 and not the 5. And at 6'8" that's probably the place you want him.
mredle

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:57 am

Welcome to Creighton, "General" Patton. ;)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:41 pm

I covered one of his games this past season, and he was awful. I was thoroughly unimpressed. He airballed 3 jumpers and wasn't a huge presence on either end.

I've seen him play a few times this summer in the summer league, and he's looked like a completely different player. He's been more confident and is making his presence felt. Very mobile, good ball skills and a lot of length. His shot still needs plenty of work, so he's not really a stretch big at this point, but he is really good in transition and rolling to the basket.
JacobPadilla

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Jacob, do you see the same high ceiling everyone keeps mentioning? It sounds like he may be a project, but I love the fact that he has improved so rapidly.

Wasn't Anthony Davis an unrated prospect with a single offer from Cleveland State before he blew up over one year? Why not a repeat!
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 am

Duke1Agn wrote:Jacob, do you see the same high ceiling everyone keeps mentioning? It sounds like he may be a project, but I love the fact that he has improved so rapidly.

Wasn't Anthony Davis an unrated prospect with a single offer from Cleveland State before he blew up over one year? Why not a repeat!

He's not as talented as Anthony Davis (obviously) but there are a lot of parallels as a guard who shot up an became a skinny big man while retaining some of the guard skills.

He is most definitely a project, but his rapid improvement is exciting. His ceiling is pretty high if he continues to work hard and is able to grasp the mental side of the game. How high? I have no idea. I don't have a lot of experience seeing kids like him first hand. They're pretty rare around these parts.
JacobPadilla

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:03 pm

JacobPadilla

Postby fritzpointer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks Jacob for the story. Do you know if Alex and Justin ever played on the same team or got to know each other at all at camp? Welcome Justin and go Jays!
fritzpointer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting