2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Verbal Commit)

Postby Fake Father Lannon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Not gonna say I'm sold on this player but...

When you have 5 scholies available there is minimal risk in taking a project/roll the dice/underrated player
Fake Father Lannon

Postby Nord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Ryan James of Gopher Illustrated (Rivals/Yahoo) had these tweets today:

Ryan James @RyanJamesMN · 5h
Bigs in the SPTS group of teams have had a terrible time scoring over, running with, and keeping Justin Patton in front. High potential.

After seeing PF/C Justin Patton in Omaha and KC in April, I say the commitment to Creighton is a great frontcourt pick-up for the Jays.

That's an independent vote of confidence. Sounds like a high potential kid.

And I must say that for as much fun as it is to follow recruiting, we shouldn't forget that it's largely a fools paradise to think that the rankings are very reliable. Yes, the top 25-50 are typically damn good, but beyond that it gets to be about buzz more than ability. Best Jays in recent times: McBuckets, Korver, Tolliver ...how did they rank? Yes, I want the guys toward the top of the list. And I sure hope that at least a couple guys in the class are highly touted, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the least touted guy in any class turn out to be the best. I enjoy following this stuff as much as anyone, but to be disappointed because we didn't see stars is losing perspective. Cheers.
Nord

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer or spoil any fun, but I played against this kid in a summer tournament last summer. All I remember was all of us knew he was getting some D-2 offers, but we didn't even know his name. From what I remember, he was a bean-pole that could block shots on some kids on my team who were at the tallest 6'5 or 6'6. I don't remember him scoring at all besides open layups/dunks. Who knows, maybe he's improved a ton over the last year. I have no idea. I do like having a local kid on the team. JJ and AY worked out pretty well. But, I really hope we're not settling. I 'd love to see some top 50 players.
bluejayfan00

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Nord wrote:Ryan James of Gopher Illustrated (Rivals/Yahoo) had these tweets today:

Bigs in the SPTS group of teams have had a terrible time scoring over, running with, and keeping Justin Patton in front. High potential.

After seeing PF/C Justin Patton in Omaha and KC in April, I say the commitment to Creighton is a great frontcourt pick-up for the Jays.

That's an independent vote of confidence. Sounds like a high potential kid.

And I must say that for as much fun as it is to follow recruiting, we shouldn't forget that it's largely a fools paradise to think that the rankings are very reliable. Yes, the top 25-50 are typically damn good, but beyond that it gets to be about buzz more than ability. Best Jays in recent times: McBuckets, Korver, Tolliver ...how did they rank? Yes, I want the guys toward the top of the list. And I sure hope that at least a couple guys in the class are highly touted, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the least touted guy in any class turn out to be the best. I enjoy following this stuff as much as anyone, but to be disappointed because we didn't see stars is losing perspective. Cheers.

This is all very true. Does anyone remember that Zach Hanson didn't even have an ESPN bio/ranking? To me, I"m guessing that this kid was a classic late bloomer. We may have gotten lucky by having him close to home and getting in on him prior to everyone else realizing the talent he had.

The comments above tell me he has length, athleticism, and can defend. I've also heard that he has nice touch and good hands.

Finally, reports said he gained 20 lbs in the past year and it looks to be good weight. We'll find out a lot more in the next few days, but I trust Mac, Merfeld and Sellers on big men.
Chicagojayfan

Postby section221jay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer or spoil any fun, but I played against this kid in a summer tournament last summer. All I remember was all of us knew he was getting some D-2 offers, but we didn't even know his name. From what I remember, he was a bean-pole that could block shots on some kids on my team who were at the tallest 6'5 or 6'6. I don't remember him scoring at all besides open layups/dunks. Who knows, maybe he's improved a ton over the last year. I have no idea. I do like having a local kid on the team. JJ and AY worked out pretty well. But, I really hope we're not settling. I 'd love to see some top 50 players.

I'm going to go with...what the kid had coming off of his sophomore year is almost meaningless.

Kids that tall often take a while to grow into their bodies. I recall Rich King being pretty sorry as a sophomore in H.S. If you look at the stats posted game-by-game on the maxpreps page it's apparent that, even within the season (Jr year) he got quite a bit better as the season progressed. I'm guessing if he plays against those same kids this summer it would be a little different story. It's certainly an "out of nowhere" commitment but as was posted previously, outside the top 50 or 100 I'll trust D1 level coaches. Someone had to be the first to offer...that it was CU and he committed quick is fine with me. I don't think they'd go after him solely because he's a local.
section221jay

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Well he's now a three star on Rivals. Don't know if thats new or not.

And don't we only have four scholies available for 15? Avery/Austin/Devin/Artino? Maybe I'm fogetting one.
HandDownManDown

Postby RVB » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Jays pull trigger on recruit Justin Patton's sudden progress and potential

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/jays-pul ... 51b9e.html
RVB

Postby Nord » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 am

6-11 and growing. Nice. A 7-3 father. Wow!

I hope he puts in the hard work to realize his high potential.
Nord

Postby AttyAlum » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 am

His dad is 7'3"!?! Woah.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:33 am

I predict somewhere down the road someone will say we "got lucky" with Justin Patton.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting