2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:05 pm

T-bone wrote:People need to reduce the expectations for Justin his Fr year. The kid is raw and underweight. He needs to fill out and get some experience. My goal for him would be just to give us a few quality minutes a game. I am not expecting anymore from him. Zach and Geoff will need to be the ones who carry us at the 5.

Agree with this. I've seen Justin play 4-5 times this year and I don't think he's even close to being a guy we want to depend on for 20 minutes a game.

He runs well with athleticism and he has decent hands. He's got the frame. He'll be good IMO, but it won't be in 2015-2016. People that think he's going to come in and be Serge Ibaka next season are going to be sad.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby ictjay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:31 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:
T-bone wrote:People need to reduce the expectations for Justin his Fr year. The kid is raw and underweight. He needs to fill out and get some experience. My goal for him would be just to give us a few quality minutes a game. I am not expecting anymore from him. Zach and Geoff will need to be the ones who carry us at the 5.

Agree with this. I've seen Justin play 4-5 times this year and I don't think he's even close to being a guy we want to depend on for 20 minutes a game.

He runs well with athleticism and he has decent hands. He's got the frame. He'll be good IMO, but it won't be in 2015-2016. People that think he's going to come in and be Serge Ibaka next season are going to be sad.

I'm with Mel Ott on this. Lets wager. 15+ minutes a game.
ictjay

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:40 pm

I heard from a good source that Justin significantly outplayed Artino and Hanson multiple times in unofficial team scrimmages over the summer. That combined with the fact that Justin will have had over 12 months of additional time to develop his game before stepping on the court for a Creighton game leads me to believe he will see significant time next season. Does he start? No idea. Will he be our leading scorer? No. Will he have 4 blocks a game? No. But I do think he'll be a solid contributor as a freshman.

He's not Anthony Davis. But his size and athleticism alone will give him a chance to immediately contribute. We haven't ever had a player like him before.

Take it for what it's worth.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby section202jay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm

No need to put added pressure on Patton. I think he should contribute next season but if he averages 4 ppg and 3 rpg I'd be happy. Then he can grow from there. Groselle should be our starting center next season. He's definitely capable as we've seen in a few games in conference play now. If he plays like he did @PC and @X more next season, he'll be among the top centers in the conference.
section202jay

Postby CUJAYFANATIC » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I would have loved seeming those three going at each other. Does that mean he did not outplay G. Groselle?

I for one am really looking forward to next season. I think if we were able to finish 3, 4 or 5 in this league that would be a great season. The Big East will be much tougher next season compared with the current season.

Go Jays.
CUJAYFANATIC

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:13 pm

That's wasn't my intention.

I don't expect him to start to begin the year. I agree with you and think Groselle gets the nod to begin the season. Patton's not going to lead us in scoring. He's not going to pull down 9 rebounds a game or block heaps of shots right out of the gate. I do expect that he's able to make meaningful contributions as a freshman, though, and increase his production as the season progresses. I think that's an entirely reasonable expectation.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Justin is very talented, but those expecting a guy who is going to come in and jump out of the gym need to cool down. He's very mobile, but some are probably overrating his athleticism in itself. His fundamentals as a shot-blocker have improved tremendously, but there are going to be guys that will just jump over and through him unlike what he is seeing with little 6'5" kids in high school. Justin is all length and mobility more so than explosive athleticism, but there are going to be kids as big or bigger than him in the Big East. There will be an adjustment.
JacobPadilla

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:35 pm

TrueBlueJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:44 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:Justin is very talented, but those expecting a guy who is going to come in and jump out of the gym need to cool down. He's very mobile, but some are probably overrating his athleticism in itself. His fundamentals as a shot-blocker have improved tremendously, but there are going to be guys that will just jump over and through him unlike what he is seeing with little 6'5" kids in high school. Justin is all length and mobility more so than explosive athleticism, but there are going to be kids as big or bigger than him in the Big East. There will be an adjustment.

thanks for the commentary here and for the reply earlier (I didn't see it before).

I agree, people need to expect a lot from him down the road, but learn a bit of patience for now. I think he will become more explosive as he gets older. It's common for guys that grow that fast to need some time to find themselves athletically.

I do like that he appears to be quicker and more mobile than almost any 6-11 guys are anywhere (given the rate of growth and his height, you'd expect him to trip over his feet a lot and he doesn't.. he moves really well) and love his potential as he grows. He's come a long way in the last year.. if he keeps developing at the same rate who knows where he'll be by the fall.

Whether or not he plays or RS's next year, I just want to see him put on 25 lbs of so of good muscle and work on the fundamentals that he'll need to play in the BE.
Chicagojayfan

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:46 pm

ictjay wrote:
McKinney's Neighbor wrote:

I'm with Mel Ott on this. Lets wager. 15+ minutes a game.

Talk to me this summer once we know what the roster looks like next season. My guess as of today is that Justin redshirts next year, but that could change depending on what, if any, roster turnover occurs this offseason.

Again, I think this kid is going to be good/potentially very good. But I don't think he's even close to being a Big East center right now. I think you guys are going to be disappointed next season if you're expecting a meaningful contribution.

Whatever. Just my opinion. I'd prefer to be wrong.
McKinney's Neighbor

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting