2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby chuck1991 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am

I have seen him play twice now.

I am no coach or anything, but I would think he is far too raw to start; but far too athletic to red-shirt. My guess is he plays about 12-16 minutes a game next year.
chuck1991

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 am

Jaysker12 wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:He only played 14 minutes against Bryan, and I doubt he put in much effort. Bryan is the worst team in the Metro; they're not going to win a single game.

He was 3 minutes late to shoot-around, and Andersen wants to really hammer home the leadership point with him and hold him to a high standard; that's why he came off the bench Friday.

The thing about Justin and his numbers is that it seems to me like he's trying to work on his game for the next level rather than maximizing what he can do against high school kids. He takes a lot more jumpers than anything else. A lot of them are probably tougher shots than he should be taking.

He has a good touch and is coming along as a shooter, but his form (particularly his balance) needs some work, which he'll get when the staff gets ahold of him. He has a nice hook shoot but needs some muscle to be able to use it consistently. He can handle the ball well but still needs to do some drills to improve his coordination. He makes some brilliant cross-court passes, but can be careless at times as well.

Basically, he's still so raw and there's so much there to work with; the coaches just need to get their hands on him and get to work.

Hate to spot you on the spot Jacob, but do you see JP coming here in the fall and having an immediate impact? Possibly competing for the starting C spot?

Not without a whole lot of work this summer.
JacobPadilla

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:40 am

JacobPadilla wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:...

Hate to spot you on the spot Jacob, but do you see JP coming here in the fall and having an immediate impact? Possibly competing for the starting C spot?

Jacob,

Do you mean a lot of work to compete to start? or to play decent minutes? Is his bulk/strength his biggest development need right now? Do you see a redshirt year?

thanks
Chicagojayfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:...

Jacob,

Do you mean a lot of work to compete to start? or to play decent minutes? Is his bulk/strength his biggest development need right now? Do you see a redshirt year?

thanks

It is difficult to really tell what he will be for Creighton because it is a completely different situation with how he will be used and who he will be playing with and against. But he has a lot of work to do in terms of building up his body and polishing his skills before he's ready to play. What remains to be seen is how much of that work can be done this summer and fall.
JacobPadilla

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:34 am

Geez guys...relax.

Justin Patton will not have to "carry" this Jays team. He will not be required to play 20-35 mins/gm.
The Jays have plenty of "horses"...guys who can and will play in 2015-16.

I expect Patton to play next season (God forbid-no redshirting) and to be able to contribute to the team.
He needs to protect the rim and rebound, that is all. if we can get:

6 to 10 rbds/gm and
3-4 blks/gm

from Justin, I will be happy. Scoring and assists will be a bonus.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jays26 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:01 pm

6 to 10 rbds/gm and
3-4 blks/gm

As a Frosh? :o :o :o :o :o

GTMO! Coming from you, that should be on a bad night! :lol:
Jays26

Postby jln » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:04 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Geez guys...relax.

Justin Patton will not have to "carry" this Jays team. He will not be required to play 20-35 mins/gm.
The Jays have plenty of "horses"...guys who can and will play in 2015-16.

I expect Patton to play next season (God forbid-no redshirting) and to be able to contribute to the team.
He needs to protect the rim and rebound, that is all. if we can get:

6 to 10 rbds/gm and
3-4 blks/gm

from Justin, I will be happy. Scoring and assists will be a bonus.

Nine players in the country average at least 3.0 blocks and 6.0 rebounds.
jln

Postby T-bone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:54 pm

People need to reduce the expectations for Justin his Fr year. The kid is raw and underweight. He needs to fill out and get some experience. My goal for him would be just to give us a few quality minutes a game. I am not expecting anymore from him. Zach and Geoff will need to be the ones who carry us at the 5.
T-bone

Postby ictjay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 pm

T-bone wrote:People need to reduce the expectations for Justin his Fr year. The kid is raw and underweight. He needs to fill out and get some experience. My goal for him would be just to give us a few quality minutes a game. I am not expecting anymore from him. Zach and Geoff will need to be the ones who carry us at the 5.

We absolutely have no one at the 5 that can come close to the athleticism that Justin has right now! It is not even close. I realize everyone (especially CU fans) tempers expectations so they don't look foolish but we in the past have never gotten a kid like this. Benoit B. strictly back to the basket guy. Patton is special. I don't care if he fouls out of every game as a freshman, he will definitely be a difference maker rebounding/shotblocking. If he keeps the same good attitude and works hard, he will be getting plenty of minutes next year.
ictjay

Postby mel ott » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:38 pm

ictjay wrote:
T-bone wrote:People need to reduce the expectations for Justin his Fr year. The kid is raw and underweight. He needs to fill out and get some experience. My goal for him would be just to give us a few quality minutes a game. I am not expecting anymore from him. Zach and Geoff will need to be the ones who carry us at the 5.

We absolutely have no one at the 5 that can come close to the athleticism that Justin has right now! It is not even close. I realize everyone (especially CU fans) tempers expectations so they don't look foolish but we in the past have never gotten a kid like this. Benoit B. strictly back to the basket guy. Patton is special. I don't care if he fouls out of every game as a freshman, he will definitely be a difference maker rebounding/shotblocking. If he keeps the same good attitude and works hard, he will be getting plenty of minutes next year.

Totally agree. He is also a great passer. Some of the skilled big BE boys aren't all thick like Pinkston. He will play- it will be interesting to see how fast he can develop, but it should be fun.
mel ott

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting