2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby R Jay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:21 am

I posed this question a while ago but didn't get an answer: are commits allowed to use their colleges weight facilities and work with trainers? I don't think they would be, but if they could, it would really speed Justin's development to get him into the Championship Center after Omaha North's season is finished.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby mredle » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:13 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:If anyone is interested, North is in the Metro Holiday Tournament Final for the first time since 1976. Justin and Co. are playing Creighton Prep at 2:45 today at the Ralston Arena.

Jacob, would that 1976 team have been one of the Mike McGee teams?
mredle

Postby R Jay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Omaha North lost to Prep in the Championship game, but Justin had 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 blocks in the loss - courtesy of Jacob Padilla.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby jays911 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:20 pm

mredle wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:If anyone is interested, North is in the Metro Holiday Tournament Final for the first time since 1976. Justin and Co. are playing Creighton Prep at 2:45 today at the Ralston Arena.

Jacob, would that 1976 team have been one of the Mike McGee teams?

Yes. North had some great teams in the late 60s and 70s.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:36 am

Justin has a lot to learn (defensively, shot-selection) and a lot of work to do on his body (weight, obviously) before he's ready to make an impact at the college level. He hasn't been all that efficient, partly because he struggles to finish around the basket at times (which added strength should help take care of) and partly because he takes some bad shots (in large part due to the team around him). His guard play isn't particularly good (the best ones are football players) and he's trying to make the best of the situation. The nice thing is that with him being a few miles down the road from Creighton the coaches can easily keep in contact with him and guide him along in his development and hopefully prevent some bad habits from developing. There are a lot of things to like.
JacobPadilla

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Last we heard his HS coach said Justin was 215 lbs. With Maurice & Co on the hilltop Justin will not have to force offense or take bad shots. He brings many skills to the Pivot that we need. With folks disappointed in our current crop of 5s, Justin may see significant minutes.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Last we heard his HS coach said Justin was 215 lbs. With Maurice & Co on the hilltop Justin will not have to force offense or take bad shots. He brings many skills to the Pivot that we need. With folks disappointed in our current crop of 5s, Justin may see significant minutes.

6'11 215 is stick thin. If he isn't ready, he isn't ready. I think he is appealing skill-wise from an upside perspective, not an "immediate impact" perspective, in that he's shown the capacity to develop certain skills but may not be ready to call upon them in an intense game situation. No amount of optimism will change whether or not a player is ready for Big East basketball. And from the looks of things, he won't be ready until he gets immersive work from the staff in S&C
Jaysker12

Postby R Jay » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:6'11 215 is stick thin. If he isn't ready, he isn't ready. I think he is appealing skill-wise from an upside perspective, not an "immediate impact" perspective, in that he's shown the capacity to develop certain skills but may not be ready to call upon them in an intense game situation. No amount of optimism will change whether or not a player is ready for Big East basketball. And from the looks of things, he won't be ready until he gets immersive work from the staff in S&C

+1
Unlike a lot of other schools we should have the luxury to not play him or even redshirt him (yes, I said it). We have two of our three centers returning, the two who are playing the most right now. Toby has also played a bit of center this year too and would really stretch the floor at the 5 next year - he could probably play around 10 minutes a game there.
If Justin is in fact ready, though, I don't see why we wouldn't play him, but it seems like he is still a ways away from being ready.
R Jay

Postby Jet915 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 am

Justin supposedly has range and can run the floor, why does he have to play the 5? Next year, while he's still gaining weight and strength, he could play the 4 and share the duties with Hegner. We could then move Huff to mostly the 3. Then, once he gains strength, he can move to the 5 in future years once Groselle graduates...
Jet915

Postby AttyAlum » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:09 am

Jet915 wrote:Justin supposedly has range and can run the floor, why does he have to play the 5? Next year, while he's still gaining weight and strength, he could play the 4 and share the duties with Hegner. We could then move Huff to mostly the 3. Then, once he gains strength, he can move to the 5 in future years once Groselle graduates...

I've been wondering this too.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting