2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 C Justin Patton (Signed)

Postby Uncle_George_5 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes I am new. Just my opinion. As I said, I'm not a scout. I grew up in Millard and not bashing its players but their center has a walk on offer from UNO and interest from Tennessee Tech. I hope Patton is the next great star but I can see effort and strength and he isn't Big East ready yet.
Uncle_George_5

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 am

24 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, 1 foul against Westside tonight. The Warriors only have three good players, one of which is a promising 6'5" sophomore post. He went 3-10 for 9 points against Justin.
JacobPadilla

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:42 am

Patton needs a lot of S&C and to work on his post play, but he has a frame to add bulk and strength and you can do that. The things you can't do are teach a guy to be 6-11, nor can you teach a 6-11 guy to have mobility, good hands and nice touch. It's all of those things that make Patton such a high level prospect.

The big question is whether or not he keeps developing at the same rate this year as he did last year. If he does, he'll be at an entirely different level again next year. Once he gets onto campus and working with Bailey and the rest of the team, he may advance even further, or he may need some time to work through different types of adjustments. He needs at least another 25 lbs (and more after that), IMO, a lot of core/base strength to help his base and explosiveness, work on post play defensive and offensive, and to adjust to the routine of big east level basketball.

So I don't care what he does next year... RS, play, whatever. I'm more worried about the years of play after that. What I want to see next year is whatever will help him be the best basketball player he can be in the long term.
Chicagojayfan

Postby mredle » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:51 pm

With respect to the redshirt/no redshirt question, there is a tightrope that coaches walk. On the one hand you weigh a kid's necessary development but you also have to consider what the needs of the team are. That was a little bit of the dilemma that led to the decision no to redshirt Leon this year IMO.
mredle

Postby Duke1Agn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Scout released their Ultimate 100 today. It ranks the best 100 prospects, regardless of class.

Patton came in at #97. Here's what they said:

"Patton entered Scout's 2015 top 100 after a strong showing in Las Vegas this past July. By the time, Creighton had already added a commitment from him, and it's a terrific one. Patton has very good size and length. He runs the floor well, has a nice set of hands and shows positive signs on the offensive end. Once Patton gets into a college strength and conditioning program it is very likely that he turns into one of the better bigs in the country. He has some refinement to do, but the upside and natural tools are through the roof."

To get an idea of how highly they view Patton, Jalen Brunson (#45) and Henry Ellenson (#17) are the only other Big East commits on the list.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 pm

mredle wrote:With respect to the redshirt/no redshirt question, there is a tightrope that coaches walk. On the one hand you weigh a kid's necessary development but you also have to consider what the needs of the team are. That was a little bit of the dilemma that led to the decision no to redshirt Leon this year IMO.

And is there any doubt that we need help down low IMMEDIATELY? I would wager that this decision has more to do with the things that will happen in the off season that don't include S&C - IE transfers and if the Jays go after any big men on the transfer market.
ZMagic30

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:21 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:
mredle wrote:With respect to the redshirt/no redshirt question, there is a tightrope that coaches walk. On the one hand you weigh a kid's necessary development but you also have to consider what the needs of the team are. That was a little bit of the dilemma that led to the decision no to redshirt Leon this year IMO.

And is there any doubt that we need help down low IMMEDIATELY? I would wager that this decision has more to do with the things that will happen in the off season that don't include S&C - IE transfers and if the Jays go after any big men on the transfer market.

I think people perpetually overrate the quality of centers in the rest of the NCAA. Our 5's have been inconsistent, but it's not entirely their fault that we haven't bothered to really feed the post until the last few games. I also think that they aren't close to the biggest problem on this team. Our guards and wings in general have been demolished in Big East play.

If a great center were to come along as a senior transfer (most never end up in JUCO), we may see a shake-up, but until then we will have Groselle, Hanson and Hegner who can play the 5 next year. He has to be more ready than at least one of them in order to play. He may or may not, but it's clear he needs S&C work to reach his full potential.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 am

from Jacob's twitter:

https://twitter.com/JacobPadilla_/statu ... 4990387202

"17 points, 7-9 FG, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks for @JustinPatton17 in 23 minutes tonight. Vikings finish regular season 21-3. #Creighton"
Chicagojayfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Based on the play of our current 3 Centers, and Hegner, there's not a heck of a lot to beat out. Granted his numbers are HS, but I for one, think Justin will play next season.

Our coaches, plus Bossi, Evan Daniels, Joel Francisco, and Ryan James all have said Justin is a steal. Daniels & Bossi think he is the biggest steal in the 2015 class. He may not start, but he will definitely play - 10-15 mpg. If we lose a 5 he will play more. Geoff, Justin, and Hanson should all be serviceable 5s next season.

RJay's pipe dream is having Hegner play 15-20 min at the 5. Hegner may have trouble holding onto the 4 spot with all the new talent coming in.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby R Jay » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:48 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Based on the play of our current 3 Centers, and Hegner, there's not a heck of a lot to beat out. Granted his numbers are HS, but I for one, think Justin will play next season.

Our coaches, plus Bossi, Evan Daniels, Joel Francisco, and Ryan James all have said Justin is a steal. Daniels & Bossi think he is the biggest steal in the 2015 class. He may not start, but he will definitely play - 10-15 mpg. If we lose a 5 he will play more. Geoff, Justin, and Hanson should all be serviceable 5s next season.

RJay's pipe dream is having Hegner play 15-20 min at the 5. Hegner may have trouble holding onto the 4 spot with all the new talent coming in.

Thanks for the mention, gtmo. Really appreciate it.
Mac and Staff obviously want the 5 position to be able to hit 3s, it's very clear in Piv's last chat. Justin has apparently hit some at Omaha North, but we don't know at what % or even if he'll be physically ready to play next year. Also, please let me know when Geoff and Zach start to hit them consistently.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting