2014 Jalen Jones (SMU Transfer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2014 Jalen Jones (SMU Transfer)

Postby D Jay Fan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 am

TIme for Gibbs to be on his own :)

How many hours does someone need to be on the team? He is taking post graduate courses, but it sounded like last season he was ready to go overseas to continue his basketball career. If his parents through some cash CUs way, we could have a player who had to sit out until next December but not take away anyones playing time.

We could have two starters as walk-ons, but the NCAA would probably be pissed that he switched to beat the system that helped a player.

Certainly we have space for a second row of seats behind the bench
D Jay Fan

Postby taa71458 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 am

D Jay Fan wrote:TIme for Gibbs to be on his own :)

How many hours does someone need to be on the team? He is taking post graduate courses, but it sounded like last season he was ready to go overseas to continue his basketball career. If his parents through some cash CUs way, we could have a player who had to sit out until next December but not take away anyones playing time.

We could have two starters as walk-ons, but the NCAA would probably be pissed that he switched to beat the system that helped a player.

Certainly we have space for a second row of seats behind the bench

Are you seriously suggesting that we pull Grant's scholarship and give it to someone else? Show me where it says we can do that.
taa71458

Postby TrueBlueJay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

I think what he is saying is that Grant is in graduate school...and he is questioning how many hours he needs to take next semester to be considered a student in good standing and be on the team. If he only has to take one class, maybe mommy and daddy could pay for this one class and reclassify GG as a walk on next semester, thus opening a scholie for Jalen.
TrueBlueJay

Postby taa71458 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:49 am

Again, I question whether you can just take someone's scholarship and give it to somebody else.
taa71458

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Happens all the time (at S'cuse, L'ville, others). UConn pulled a kid's scholie for Andre Drummond a couple of years ago, then Drummond gave it back. We pulled DMD's scholie for Grant this year. Not saying it would or will be done, but it is one option. Scholies are granted (sic) on a yearly basis, and belong to the school - not the player. Relax taa... there is no inclination that CU has interest or that Jones has interest in CU. Unwad your shorts. :)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Bluejay524 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes, but this would mean they would pull the schollie mid-year which is different than what they did for Gibbs and what these other schools have done. I would assume they pull schollies in the off-season.
Bluejay524

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I'll say two things on this.

1. Pulling the scholarship from Doug is a VASTLY different deal than pulling one from any other player in the history of college basketball.

we should never ever consider doing that to a kid.

2. i have no interest in being associated with the garbage that louisville, UConn and syracuse do off the court.

This subthread has gotten really dumb.
cujaysfan

Postby RockyMtnJay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:00 pm

cujaysfan wrote:I'll say two things on this.

1. Pulling the scholarship from Doug is a VASTLY different deal than pulling one from any other player in the history of college basketball.

we should never ever consider doing that to a kid.

2. i have no interest in being associated with the garbage that louisville, UConn and syracuse do off the court.

This subthread has gotten really dumb.

I agree whole heartedly
(but here I am contributing to it as well)
RockyMtnJay

Postby D Jay Fan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm

I'll avoid the tongue in cheeck posts in the future. I thought the smiley face helped my post. I would never pull a scholarship. I Never liked what we have done in the past. Carry on... I'll just watch
D Jay Fan

Postby mredle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:07 pm

It is important to keep in mind that we are currently in the process of trying to red shirt a JUCO that we would have played at the 2-3 had Grant not been given an umpteenth year of eligibility (thank you, thank you NCAA). That means we have two brand new wings coming in as freshmen, a redshirt freshman and a red shirt junion a the wing, a senior at wing, a red shirt sophmore at wing, that is 6 wings, add one more and we need a Take Out window! We will have 2 SR point guards, 3 post players and one 4. True, one of our freshmen wings might beable to play 3-4, but lets remember they are both slightly built right now and will only have a few months in the weight room before practice starts.Hegner is red shirting this year for that same reason and we are talking about the Big East where I've heard tell of 350 lb 5s who may mistake Will Artino for a skinny french fry. Another 4 or a point guard would be very nice insurance and would ease the pressure for 2015 when we lose 2 point guards a center and a wing.
mredle

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting