2015 G Khyri Thomas (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 G Khyri Thomas (Verbal Commit)

Postby R Jay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:01 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:Next year we should have the most natural talent we've ever had on a Creighton roster. Patton gives us a skilled big guy that allegedly has NBA potential. Krampelj is 6'8" and quite athletic. Huff is a long SG. It's going to be fun to see what Mac and Co. are able to do with it. I have a feeling we are going to see a brand of basketball that we haven't seen at Creighton before.

Is Huff a shooting guard? I thought he was a SF, with some minutes as a stretch PF. I totally could be wrong about this as following the recruiting game isn't something I commit a lot of time to, but that stood out. If we had a 6'8" shooting guard, I'd be very happy (and surprised).

I'm very excited about Mr. Thomas. Tough to gauge too much about a guy from highlights alone, but he seems to have the type of athleticism and style of play that is needed in the Big East and for our program going forward. I just had this vision of Mo Watson leading a 3 on 1 break. Khyri Thomas is running the wing readying himself for an alley-oop. Cole is spotting up for a three. And this fast break started with an in-your-face rejection by Patton on the other end (his fourth block of the game). I could live with that. Dare to dream!

Huff's a forward. He can play both SF and PF, which have similar roles in Mac's offense. Where he spends more time will probably be dictated by who fits in/moves to where.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:06 pm

R Jay wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:Next year we should have the most natural talent we've ever had on a Creighton roster. Patton gives us a skilled big guy that allegedly has NBA potential. Krampelj is 6'8" and quite athletic. Huff is a long SG. It's going to be fun to see what Mac and Co. are able to do with it. I have a feeling we are going to see a brand of basketball that we haven't seen at Creighton before.

Is Huff a shooting guard? I thought he was a SF, with some minutes as a stretch PF. I totally could be wrong about this as following the recruiting game isn't something I commit a lot of time to, but that stood out. If we had a 6'8" shooting guard, I'd be very happy (and surprised).

I'm very excited about Mr. Thomas. Tough to gauge too much about a guy from highlights alone, but he seems to have the type of athleticism and style of play that is needed in the Big East and for our program going forward. I just had this vision of Mo Watson leading a 3 on 1 break. Khyri Thomas is running the wing readying himself for an alley-oop. Cole is spotting up for a three. And this fast break started with an in-your-face rejection by Patton on the other end (his fourth block of the game). I could live with that. Dare to dream!

Huff's a forward. He can play both SF and PF, which have similar roles in Mac's offense. Where he spends more time will probably be dictated by who fits in/moves to where.

Huff can play the 2-4 spots.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby AttyAlum » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:45 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Is Huff a shooting guard? I thought he was a SF, with some minutes as a stretch PF. I totally could be wrong about this as following the recruiting game isn't something I commit a lot of time to, but that stood out. If we had a 6'8" shooting guard, I'd be very happy (and surprised).

Vivid,

In the offense that we run, there really is not a heckuva lot of difference between a SG and a SF; they are essentially the same position. It may be most accurate to refer to both positions collectively as "wings" rather than differentiating them as SG, SF, etc.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:47 pm

When can Khyri sign his letter?
TrueBlueJay

Postby CU4LIFE » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Hate to play devils advocate by why not so many offers for Khyri? Rivals shows, Creighton, UNO, Portland St., and Mo. Kansas City...... I do feel like we need more athleticism and lengthy SG/SF slashers that can get to the rim and from the videos I like what I see and hope Khyri can be that guy. Just wondering...

#RollJays
CU4LIFE

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:03 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Is Huff a shooting guard? I thought he was a SF, with some minutes as a stretch PF. I totally could be wrong about this as following the recruiting game isn't something I commit a lot of time to, but that stood out. If we had a 6'8" shooting guard, I'd be very happy (and surprised).

Vivid,

In the offense that we run, there really is not a heckuva lot of difference between a SG and a SF; they are essentially the same position. It may be most accurate to refer to both positions collectively as "wings" rather than differentiating them as SG, SF, etc.

Fair enough. But when starting line-ups are listed, you never see "wings." I'm just wondering what the kid is going to be categorized as, and I was surprised someone listed him as a shooting guard. Based on everything I've read (which isn't as much as many), I doubt he'll ever line up in that traditional shooting guard spot, or ever be listed as a guard. But, as you imply, it's all semantics.
vivid_dude

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:11 pm

CU4LIFE wrote:Hate to play devils advocate by why not so many offers for Khyri? Rivals shows, Creighton, UNO, Portland St., and Mo. Kansas City...... I do feel like we need more athleticism and lengthy SG/SF slashers that can get to the rim and from the videos I like what I see and hope Khyri can be that guy. Just wondering...

#RollJays

Those offers were out of high school, and a lot of bigger schools backed off in HS because his academics needed work.

As far as I know, Indiana, Kansas State, Minnesota and others were pursuing him at Fork Union.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:48 pm

I believe Chicagojay's comparison to Tekele Cotton is apt. From a physical profile standpoint, he actually reminds me of Elfrid Payton. 6'3ish, long limbed athletic guard with a decent pull up jumper and a gritty attitude on defense. Payton definitely is the better scorer and floor general, which is why he's playing in the NBA, but I still believe there's a resemblance
Jaysker12

Postby CUJAYFANATIC » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 am

What is Khyri's eligibility status? By attending a youth military academy has he used up a year of eligibility? When he left Benson did he have a high school diploma? or did he need the academic year from the academy to complete his high school education thereby getting his diploma? I presume he comes in as a college freshman with four years of eligibility.

Go Jays.
CUJAYFANATIC

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:15 am

CUJAYFANATIC wrote:What is Khyri's eligibility status? By attending a youth military academy has he used up a year of eligibility? When he left Benson did he have a high school diploma? or did he need the academic year from the academy to complete his high school education thereby getting his diploma? I presume he comes in as a college freshman with four years of eligibility.

Go Jays.

Post-graduate years at prep schools do not burn a year of eligibility. He is, technically, still in high school even if he graduated from Benson. Some kids do a post graduate year to get academics up to speed; some do it to have a another year of competition in the sport, usually if they are relatively new to the sport (such as a kid who did not start playing basketball until his junior year of high school). By playing a post graduate year, the kid can improve his academic and athletic profile to, essentially, "get better offers."
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting