2015 G Khyri Thomas (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2015 G Khyri Thomas (Verbal Commit)

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:56 am

In reply to BB: last sets of OPS kids 1978
Dan Clausen -Benson/John C Johnson -Central/Jim Honz. Also had C Prep's Dave Wesely.

As for SG w athleticism, defense, length to disrupt passing lanes: Ben Walker, Justin Carter, P'Allen
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:58 am

Although Justin Carter was listed as a guard, he rarely played SG. Mostly played as an undersized SF and PF if I recall?
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby R Jay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:00 am

Duke1Agn wrote:Although Justin Carter was listed as a guard, he rarely played SG. Mostly played as an undersized SF and PF if I recall?

Yes. Like a lot of players in the late Altman era he played out of his natural position.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Rodman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:36 am

Remember that scholarships are only one year and coaches sit down at years end and do what is best. I believe that if a kid is not going to play and I am not just talking about Creighton, that in the best interest of the kid, he should probably move on. If I am not mistaken there where over 650 transfers in division I last year and from what I have heard that number will be bigger this year. This is a new trend that we have not seen at CU but for most programs it happens often. I am not a fan of it, but again, you have to consider what is best for each player.
Rodman

Postby Duke1Agn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 am

Rodman wrote:Remember that scholarships are only one year and coaches sit down at years end and do what is best. I believe that if a kid is not going to play and I am not just talking about Creighton, that in the best interest of the kid, he should probably move on. If I am not mistaken there where over 650 transfers in division I last year and from what I have heard that number will be bigger this year. This is a new trend that we have not seen at CU but for most programs it happens often. I am not a fan of it, but again, you have to consider what is best for each player.

^ This. The players know this when they sign up. It's year to year, and the end of the year meeting is a time for both players and coaches to be honest about where the player fits in going forward. In some cases, it's better to part ways.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 am

Duke1Agn wrote:
Rodman wrote:Remember that scholarships are only one year and coaches sit down at years end and do what is best. I believe that if a kid is not going to play and I am not just talking about Creighton, that in the best interest of the kid, he should probably move on. If I am not mistaken there where over 650 transfers in division I last year and from what I have heard that number will be bigger this year. This is a new trend that we have not seen at CU but for most programs it happens often. I am not a fan of it, but again, you have to consider what is best for each player.

^ This. The players know this when they sign up. It's year to year, and the end of the year meeting is a time for both players and coaches to be honest about where the player fits in going forward. In some cases, it's better to part ways.

Should add in that it's not always about the basketball either. Kids move on a lot for other reasons -- different school, closer to home, etc. etc. Even for us, it's uncommon for nobody to leave after a season.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:03 am

gtmoBlue wrote:...

As for SG w athleticism, defense, length to disrupt passing lanes: Ben Walker, Justin Carter, P'Allen

Walker was definitely physical, but had nothing of the kind of length that Thomas has.
P'Allen had the same kind of physique, but obviously attitude goes a long way ;)
Carter as noted was more of a SF and even played PF, but I think he's been playing more guard overseas? Again, very physical, but not as long as Thomas, though.

Daryll Ashford comes to mind as a 6-4, long player. He originally signed with Texas A&M, but went JUCO instead. I don't think he had the same kind of handle or ball skills that Thomas has, but maybe he's a decent comparison.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many guys who we had who were like this. Compare that to Wichita, they always seem to find a couple of defenders who play a bit like Thomas. Takele Cotton might a good comparison. Raw to start on offense, but active and tough defender who can elevate. Thomas is an inch or two taller and has longer arms, but I like that comp.

Nice thing about Thomas is that I think he has the raw basketball skills (handle, passing, shooting, slashing and finishing) to be more than a defensive stopper. In combination with Patton, Stewart and Martin K, we have a class with a lot of athleticism and huge upside on the court, IMO
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 am

Duke1Agn wrote:Next year we should have the most natural talent we've ever had on a Creighton roster. Patton gives us a skilled big guy that allegedly has NBA potential. Krampelj is 6'8" and quite athletic. Huff is a long SG. It's going to be fun to see what Mac and Co. are able to do with it. I have a feeling we are going to see a brand of basketball that we haven't seen at Creighton before.

Is Huff a shooting guard? I thought he was a SF, with some minutes as a stretch PF. I totally could be wrong about this as following the recruiting game isn't something I commit a lot of time to, but that stood out. If we had a 6'8" shooting guard, I'd be very happy (and surprised).

I'm very excited about Mr. Thomas. Tough to gauge too much about a guy from highlights alone, but he seems to have the type of athleticism and style of play that is needed in the Big East and for our program going forward. I just had this vision of Mo Watson leading a 3 on 1 break. Khyri Thomas is running the wing readying himself for an alley-oop. Cole is spotting up for a three. And this fast break started with an in-your-face rejection by Patton on the other end (his fourth block of the game). I could live with that. Dare to dream!
vivid_dude

Postby jfan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:36 am

gtmoBlue wrote:In reply to BB: last sets of OPS kids 1978
Dan Clausen -Benson/John C Johnson -Central/Jim Honz. Also had C Prep's Dave Wesely.

P'Allen disrupted a lot more than just passing lanes!
jfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:Nice thing about Thomas is that I think he has the raw basketball skills (handle, passing, shooting, slashing and finishing) to be more than a defensive stopper. In combination with Patton, Stewart and Martin K, we have a class with a lot of athleticism and huge upside on the court, IMO

- That's what the Bossi article said. Cited Khyri's slashing and transition game...stated he is working his handle, jumper, and is becoming a better defensive player.
https://creighton.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1736284
;)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting