2014 SG JP Macura (Xavier Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2014 SG JP Macura (Offered)

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 am

New highlight video (FreddyMac, I think you'll like this one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aty_uykhQI8

I've never seen a video where a kid blocks so many shots...even some big guy videos don't have that.

Only negative: the green shirt, white shorts combo is a bad look. :lol:
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 am

Ryan James tweeted that "In addition to Tum Tum, JP Macura, and Alex Illikainen visiting Minnesota for the football game [tomorrow night], Reid Travis will be there, as will others."

Richard Pitino's putting in work right now. Some of it is a right place, right time thing, since that state has some pretty ridiculous HS talent right now (has the Twin Cities ever had a class like its 2014 class?). But, he seems to be effectively selling that program at a high level, thus far. I know that Iowa fans have been excited about Fran, and Nebraska fans think Miles is the truth, but I would not put any money on either of those guys, especially Miles, regularly beating Groce, Collins or Pitino for top regional recruits. It's surely not coincidental that Miles is mainly focusing on kids from Southern Plains states, Jucos, or other nations.

I think that Creighton's pitch as a smallish non-football school in a non-football conference, and in a biggish city without bigger attractions, is unique enough that we can find a niche that isn't really available to the Big 10 schools annually scrambling to stay out of spots 9 through 14 (once Rutgers and resting giant Maryland join) in the standings. Our staff just needs a couple of kids every year to be receptive to that pitch.
Bluejay Bilas

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 am

does this situation remind any of you old timers of alford?

he really hasn't earned this position - one year as head coach at FIU - some experience as an asst (mostly for his dad and his dad's protege donovan)

he's trading on the old man's name and success, IMO.

alford got one heckuva backlash from the coaching community (partly because he's a dick - and partly because he didn't put in the time that 99% of coaches do - working their way up) - but he made a pretty good splash at iowa with some recruits and then stealing luke recker which was a pretty big damn deal at the time.

he's going to be going against some of the best coaches in the country game in and out in the big ten - i'm thinking he's gonna get his ass handed to him
cujaysfan

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 am

cujaysfan wrote:does this situation remind any of you old timers of alford?

he really hasn't earned this position - one year as head coach at FIU - some experience as an asst (mostly for his dad and his dad's protege donovan)

he's trading on the old man's name and success, IMO.

alford got one heckuva backlash from the coaching community (partly because he's a dick - and partly because he didn't put in the time that 99% of coaches do - working their way up) - but he made a pretty good splash at iowa with some recruits and then stealing luke recker which was a pretty big damn deal at the time.

he's going to be going against some of the best coaches in the country game in and out in the big ten - i'm thinking he's gonna get his ass handed to him

I loathe Alford as much as anyone, but it's not entirely fair to say he didn't pay his dues. He was the head coach for four years at a DIII school, and then for four years at SMS. Eight years before getting a big time gig isn't unreasonable, especially considering he had a S16 run at SMS.

That said, I think Pitino traded on his dad's name to get the job, and is doing the same thing to get in the door with recruits. He might even be able to seal the deal on some. But until he shows some actual coaching acumen, he'll need to assemble a helluva lot of talent to compete in the B1G -- his name won't mean a thing in between the lines. He didn't impress in that regard at FIU, and learning on the job in the Big Ten will be a steep battle.

To me, he reminds me a lot more of Isiah Thomas, who preceded Pitino as head coach at FIU, than Alford.
WBR Tom

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:54 am

alford has never been an asst coach - not for one minute

and i won't discount that he may have earned the iowa gig with his few years at SMS - and that sweet 16 run there...but he walked into both the manchester college gig - and then the SMS job. i'd venture to guess that you could count on one hand - the number of guys who got a head coaching gig without any experience coaching - and guys who were able to go from a D3 gig - to a solid D1 job.

there is/was a lot of resentment by a lot of other guys who weren't able to trade on the fact that they weren't "steve alford"
cujaysfan

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I've never understood that.

People get breaks over other people for random reasons all the time. That's life.

As for Pitino, good for him. He must be doing something right, because if he was incompetent as a recruiter, then recruits and their families would smell it. Whether he can coach or not is another thing, but if I had a name like that I'd utilize it to its maximum usefulness and not give a damn about any blowback for doing so.
HandDownManDown

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

sorry for the thread hijack

i pretty much agree with you - you use what advantages you can to better and further yourself - but it pissed a lot of guys off - frankly they should have been mad at the people that hired SA - but i digress.

i don't like alford cuz he's a dick
cujaysfan

Postby AttyAlum » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Getting the thread back on track....

Macura went to the Minnesota/UNLV football game last night, but did not commit.

Headed to Xavier for an official this weekend.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Jet915 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Minnesota article about Macura with blurb on Creighton:

Creighton – His trip to Creighton went well. I worry this might be the school that has the most momentum heading into his decision. There has been some Twitter conversation between him and current Creighton basketball star Doug McDermott lately. Mcdermott is a potential lottery pick in next year’s NBA Draft.

Work your magic Dougie!

http://goldandgopher.com/2013/08/30/gopher-basketball-lakeville-norths-jp-macura-makes-it-the-big-four/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Jet915

Postby jays911 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Jet915 wrote:Minnesota article about Macura with blurb on Creighton:

Creighton – His trip to Creighton went well. I worry this might be the school that has the most momentum heading into his decision. There has been some Twitter conversation between him and current Creighton basketball star Doug McDermott lately. Mcdermott is a potential lottery pick in next year’s NBA Draft.

Work your magic Dougie!

http://goldandgopher.com/2013/08/30/gopher-basketball-lakeville-norths-jp-macura-makes-it-the-big-four/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks for sharing. Come on, JP, the Jays have more and more passionate fans, better facilities, and a better staff. Join a program on the march.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting