2014 SG Riley LaChance (Vanderbilt Verbal Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2014 SG Riley LeChance

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Per NY2LA Sports, "2014 G Riley LaChance current visit schedule - Creighton Aug 16-18th, Baylor Sept 13th-15th, Gonzaga Sept 20-22nd. Davidson Sept 27th-29th."
Bluejay Bilas

Postby Jet915 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Awesome, hope he is wowed during the visit and commits. Btw, Rivals had a recent article mentioning top 10 prospects who will likely make it into the Top 150 when they update and Riley was on the list. He's already #97 on ESPN, #142 on 247.
Jet915

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:This is only a guess, but this could be a case of a recruit just being well-liked or well-scouted by ESPN. Perhaps LeChance just happened to be at a lot of tourneys with ESPN guys there as well. I'd much rather get Leon Gilmore (4 star, 80) who has offers from OU, Okie State, T A&M, and Baylor, than LeChance who's only seeing mid major schools offer. Most times a kid only has mid major offers, or he has upper-mid major to high major offers. And there's a reason for that

Riley has picked up a couple of major offers, but tellingly, no Wisconsin offer, no Marquette offer, or no Minnesota offer. Jaysker may be spot on in his comments above. ESPN is the sole site to elevate LaChance's status - even given his "hot Summer" performance.
As a PG perhaps the staff is leaning towards Tum Tum more?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:48 pm

I'll leave that up to the coaches. Does anyone think that they'd offer a guy (and keep it out there) if they would be disappointed if it was to be accepted?

This guy already has more high major D1 offers than Korver, Tolliver, or Doug had combined. Plus he's ranked in both ESPN and 24/7's top 150.

I naturally share the urgency for a permanent talent increase via strong recruiting, but throwing this guy back just based on his current offers is not that great an idea. It could be that ESPN and 24/7 have him pegged, but since he didn't make a lot of early lists of the big schools (which they're still working through) he hasn't gotten the offers yet. What happens if he blows up this fall, and everyone and their grandmother who has scholarships left is on him? We'll all be thanking our lucky stars that our coaches were on him early, allowing us to build a rapport that would lead him here, kind of like we did with Hanson when Ohio State et al. started lurking.

And I must admit, a guy who's a top 150 guy in multiple places getting panned makes me wonder how realistic our expectations are.
HandDownManDown

Postby westojay » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I trust the coaches on this and think he appears to be a good player. Only thing I wonder about is he appears to have same skill set and even size as Zierden. Personally, I hope to get more athletic and longer at the wing position with this class, but the coaches know more than I do.
westojay

Postby Jet915 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:22 pm

He's going to be Rivals Top 150 on their next update, he apparently plays more like a PG than a SG so I'm thinking the staff is recruiting him as a PG, which we will need for 2014. Nairn is a nice thought but we can't wait around for him to decide if he's even going to visit us. Btw, his last name is misspelled, can anyone change that? It's Riley LaChance...

Btw, he's at the CP3 camp this weekend and apparently has looked really good.
Jet915

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:This is only a guess, but this could be a case of a recruit just being well-liked or well-scouted by ESPN. Perhaps LeChance just happened to be at a lot of tourneys with ESPN guys there as well. I'd much rather get Leon Gilmore (4 star, 80) who has offers from OU, Okie State, T A&M, and Baylor, than LeChance who's only seeing mid major schools offer. Most times a kid only has mid major offers, or he has upper-mid major to high major offers. And there's a reason for that

Riley has picked up a couple of major offers, but tellingly, no Wisconsin offer, no Marquette offer, or no Minnesota offer. Jaysker may be spot on in his comments above. ESPN is the sole site to elevate LaChance's status - even given his "hot Summer" performance.
As a PG perhaps the staff is leaning towards Tum Tum more?

My thoughts were based on the logic that there was a reason he had zero major offers. If that's changed, then I'm down to go all in for a verbal. Hell, even if he didn't have a major offer, the staff should take what it can get at this point along. We have good chances with LaChance, Demery, Macura, and Gilmore, but as the staff and this board have learned, you can't take anything recruiting-wise for granted.
Jaysker12

Postby Duke1Agn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 am

Riley has major offers from Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt, Utah, Butler, Ole Miss, and the Jays. And he's taking an official to Gonzaga.

This isn't a case of a kid having a sole major offer, and its a great sign that he's giving us a visit.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby AttyAlum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 am

Duke1Agn wrote:Riley has major offers from Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt, Utah, Butler, Ole Miss, and the Jays. And he's taking an official to Gonzaga.

This isn't a case of a kid having a sole major offer, and its a great sign that he's giving us a visit.

Yeah, no kidding.

The next positive thing that Jaysker says about any of our recruits will be the first. Sometimes he seems to be a little more 'Sker than Jay...

Now, it would be nice if we spelled the recruit's name correctly. Mods, can you fix?
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:49 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
Duke1Agn wrote:Riley has major offers from Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt, Utah, Butler, Ole Miss, and the Jays. And he's taking an official to Gonzaga.

Yeah, no kidding.

The next positive thing that Jaysker says about any of our recruits will be the first. Sometimes he seems to be a little more 'Sker than Jay...

Now, it would be nice if we spelled the recruit's name correctly. Mods, can you fix?

Hey now. It's tough to keep track of who's offered who, especially since each recruiting service has different info on each recruit. I usually stick to Rivals for recruiting info, and the only major offers listed there are from Vanderbilt and Missouri. Granted, it's now obvious that that isn't accurate, but just understand that 24/7 is always the last place I check. Plus, when I made those original comments, he probably did not have all the major offers that he does now.

I have expressed my positive opinions on numerous targets throughout this board, I would suggest starting with Benson and Kuiper, then moving along to current targets such as Gilmore, Demery, Macura, and now LaChance
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting