Who's Next

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Who's Next

Postby ZMagic30 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:58 pm

So with Carter narrowing it down to Maryland and Florida, where do we look now if Milliken picks TCU/UNC-G? Any other last minute wings/transfers we look at for the 2013-2014 season?
ZMagic30

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 pm

one thing that's never really been mentioned on the recruiting front - and could potentially be someone available immediately would be a euro/intl player

few years ago it seemed like we were looking at quite a few european kids - any rumblings on that front, hilltop?
cujaysfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 am

Interesting article and charts on NBA Draftees - Which states they hail from. Confirms what most already know about recruiting hotbeds. Cali leads by a 2:1 margin over NY, Texas, and Illinois. Hopefully we have not totally abandoned Left Coast Recruiting.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ost-nbaers
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 am

Joey Tempo and Patrick Murray discuss summer recruiting and more on this episode of the WBR Podcast:

http://whiteandbluereview.com/?p=24914
WBR Tom

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:55 am

JTempo states (On the WBR Podcast of 14 June 2013) that either Jays or Zags will likely get Joe Coleman, and his commit will change some things with other recruiting for 2014. Good podcast, very informative, especially irt Women's Hoops.

JT's top 3 overall prospects - in order.
SG Jared Terrell
PG Casey Benson
SF/PF Leon Gilmore

Benson over Perkins, Nairn, and Cohen - all highly rated PG's? Hmmm. Is he a PAC12 leaner? Jays and UN are the only schools (in the mix) that lie outside of the Western US.
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... sey-benson
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=5972347

Good podcast.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 am

gtmoBlue wrote:JTempo states (On the WBR Podcast of 14 June 2013) that either Jays or Zags will likely get Joe Coleman, and his commit will change some things with other recruiting for 2014. Good podcast, very informative, especially irt Women's Hoops.

JT's top 3 overall prospects - in order.
SG Jared Terrell
PG Casey Benson
SF/PF Leon Gilmore

Benson over Perkins, Nairn, and Cohen - all highly rated PG's? Hmmm. Is he a PAC12 leaner? Jays and UN are the only schools (in the mix) that lie outside of the Western US.
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... sey-benson
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=5972347

Good podcast.

If I were to make a guess, the coaching staff doesn't want to waste time chasing Perkins/Cohen types because they're highly coveted recruits right now. Mac sees that, while he isn't the highest order of PG, Benson has high IQ and could make our system go very well with his skillset.
Jaysker12

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Agree. Perkins isn't coming, and Cohen has a heavy lean towards Marquette from all I've read. And it's not like Benson lacks game either.

No sense fighting the tape on this one.
HandDownManDown

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Benson has a strong PAC12 lean, as 4 of his 6 visits have been to PAC12 schools.
Cohen and Nairn are not out of reach, IMHO. Perkins is not likely, but to say that
we are not going to go after them, as they have shown interest, is not acceptable.

"We'll settle on a 3-star, who resembles a prototypical CU PG, rather than stretch to
capture a higher level PG?" If that is the case, we already have a suitable PG on verbal commit.
Let's move on to SG, SF, and Myles Turner.

We haven't even begun BE play, but we are "settling" on possible recruits already? Unacceptable!

If we are going to enter the fray for Top level or the top 2 levels of recruits (Top 50 or Top 100) we must also
have the intestinal fortitude to stay the course, to fight the good fight. As several have noted, that we will not get them all,
even as a BE member, but we must be tough enough to fight for 1 or 2 top recruits a year. We are Guaranteed to fail if at
the slightest, earliest bump in the recruiting road, we pick up our ball and go home.

We had some great recruiting battles during the previous regime, and we lost way more than I really care to remember, but Damnit...
We didn't back down from a PAC12, B12, or B1G team. We were not intimidated by the so-called BCS schools. And for the record,
'little Creighton' landed a top 100 kid every now and then. Now we've moved on up - to George Jefferson-land. No one has said this was
going to be EASY! And that, my friends, is the beauty of it all...It ain't gonna be EASY. But the Jays can - we can do this. CU can compete
on the big stage. We just gotta bring our moxie, determination, resoulve, and brass balls to the fight.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtmoBlue

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Of course signability is going to be a factor. It always is!

Who's to say we are settling anyway? I find that comment to be pretty offensive.

Why is it so hard to believe the coaches are fond of the guys they are pursuing?

(PS- Now that gtmo has apparently given up on Reid Travis, Myles Turner is now the star of his fantasies.)
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby b-jay fan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm

I am a big fan of Benson's game. Watching that youtube video, you can see a guy who is in command of the floor, has a really high basketball IQ, and makes those around him better. The nature of his play and his herky-jerky ability to be a play maker putting it on the floor and also get to the rim would really be a big advantage for us. Personally, I think Benson suits our style of play much better than some of the other, possibly "higher rated", PG's.
b-jay fan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting