SF Ezra Talbert (Liberty commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: SF Ezra Talbert (2014 Verbal Commit)

Postby jayball » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 am

No one dislikes any of the commits. I think people just don't know much about the 2014 kids yet and are trying to learn more about them.

I trust the coaches to get some good ones.

Welcome Ezra!
jayball

Postby bluejy2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:26 pm

From ESPN Recrutiting guy:
DaveTelep
Creighton's latest pledge, F Ezra Talbert, recent pledge, was a stud at UA Dallas last month.

other tweet:

DaveTelep
I'll be disappointed if Creighton doesn't get a commitment today. Hey McDermott, it's a 5-day workweek not 4. Who's next?
bluejy2

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Ezra has two more years to develop his game, always leery though on a recruit who only has one offer (us). It worked out for Hegner as we were the first to offer him and he blew up and got multiple offers. Hopefully Talbert and Norton develop into special players.
Jet915

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Jet915 wrote:Ezra has two more years to develop his game, always leery though on a recruit who only has one offer (us). It worked out for Hegner as we were the first to offer him and he blew up and got multiple offers. Hopefully Talbert and Norton develop into special players.

Agree that it is a bit scary to be the only offer, but IMO Ezra is a high major talent who could truly blow up next year.

Worst case: he's an effective PF type player in the Mo Valley who can use his mid game and athleticism to work the boards and get points.
Best case: he's a guy who can go inside, but who can also play the 3 as a wing and who can play D on anyone from a SG to a PF depending on the other team's lineup.

He's still somewhat raw, but his best asset is his untapped athleticism. He's really a high major athlete from everything I've seen and a guy who defensively can play D with the best in the country. If his offensive game continues to come around and he continues to show 3-quickness, he could be really, really special. I am happy we got his commitment now as a big year would have made it much tougher if the local BCS schools came sniffing around.

Some thoughts on him in this link in the comments:

sunflowerleaguebasketballblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/class-awards.html?m=1
Chicagojayfan

Postby PorkTornado » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm

This worrying about how many offers a kid has reminds me a lot of the Brian Fish days of being blinded by the number of stars next to the players names.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Although I understand what you are saying, would you feel better about a commit w/15-20 offers or one w/only one offer?
Jet915

Postby ictjay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Jet915 wrote:Ezra has two more years to develop his game, always leery though on a recruit who only has one offer (us). It worked out for Hegner as we were the first to offer him and he blew up and got multiple offers. Hopefully Talbert and Norton develop into special players.

Per Dave Telep, ESPN, Ezra "blew it up" in Dallas a couple of weeks ago.
http://joco913.com/news/summer-basketba ... -the-best/

There are a few other major AAU tourneys held around the country that also mentioned Talbert.
CU had a phenominal amount of national D1 at its camps. They know what they are doing.

Talbert as a sophomore, played on a crap Olathe East team in which he was the 3rd or4th option this year. Against Wichita Heights, (undefeated State champ) he had national player of the year Perry Ellis hounding him.
ictjay

Postby PorkTornado » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Jet915 wrote:Although I understand what you are saying, would you feel better about a commit w/15-20 offers or one w/only one offer?

I wouldn't feel differently either way, especially considering this is a 2014 guy and because McDermott seems to have a pretty good recruiting track record. He hasn't pulled in a Nengsu, Lane, Bishop and Gakou class here at Creighton, and until he does I'm going to trust he isn't throwing shit against the wall until it becomes apparent.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Gordon Heyward had three offers. Doug McD had only a couple as well.

Let's see how the junior-senior years go for ET before we worry about whether or not he can cut it. For all we know, he could blow up this year and ditch us for KU.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby AttyAlum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Out of the four commitments we received this week, Talbert has the highest rating with ESPN.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting