2024 Creighton Baseball

Talk about Creighton athletics.

Return to Jays Sports

Re: 2024 Creighton Baseball

Postby Realhoops » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:27 pm

Welp. Managed to hold onto a lead desperately in the conclusion of game 1. In game 2 took a 7-6 lead into the bottom of the seventh and let in NINE runs to watch that lead vanish into the far distance. I’m sorry — you should not ever give up nine runs in one inning in a big East game.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Realhoops » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm

Blown out again today to drop 2 of 3 at X.

At least we win the first game against Nebraska and against UNO, I guess.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby JayPak » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:17 pm

Bullpen is atrocious and the injury to SP Cancellieri puts more pressure on the bullpen.
Season-best start from Burke yesterday was wasted.

In recruiting, after having a multi-year lack of hitting depth, Ed clearly prioritized hitting depth in offseason recruiting, landing quality bench bats (Zukowski, Scherrman, Capece), a starter with a hot bat in Deters, and retaining Canales as a quality bench hitter. But the flip side is, Ed failed to improve the pitching staff, thinking Curtin and Koch would develop (they have, to a degree, but aren't consistent) and guys like Lamb and Hammond would be reliable (they're not). Big mistake. Some of the experienced pitchers he brought in (Primeaux, Trapp, Saner, Gluth, Coburn) are simply not D-1 quality either physically or talent-wise, while the newbies (Wendt, Klein, Pineau) show promise but aren't consistent and not reliable yet. He continued to bet on Lommel, which to put it kindly simply hasn't worked out. Burke was a decent add and Vetock has made a leap, but it's not enough to offset the injury to Cancellieri.

On top of the pitching woes, it doesn't help when Creighton's capable offense goes 3/29 on Sunday vs the 3rd starter on a Xavier staff with a team ERA of 6.32 coming in, and goes 5/34 on Friday vs the 1st starter on a Butler staff with a team ERA of 10.07 coming in.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Jaybird » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:29 pm

If the BE tournament started today, Creighton would be home watching on TV. Again. Despite the best overall win % in the league.

And they still have three homies with GTown, which looks legit this year. They're 8-1 in conference, (but with the soft part of their sked behind them now), and 11-4 on the road overall. But before that, there's three at UConn. Since Connecticut returned to the Big East, Creighton's played them eight times, lost seven, and never won in Storrs. They're the new Wichita, for us anyway. Those games are an opportunity and a huge concern at the same time.

That Butler loss is really going to haunt them. That was Butler's only league win so far. They look every bit the 7th place finisher they were predicted to be. You can't lose to somebody like that, at home especially. You just can't.
Jaybird

Postby cufan10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 pm

Jays just had the bases loaded with no outs, and didn't score. That is a big blow, going from being on the verge of big momentum to giving the opponent big momentum. Need to push at least one across there.
cufan10

Postby Jaybird » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm

cufan10 wrote:Jays just had the bases loaded with no outs, and didn't score. That is a big blow, going from being on the verge of big momentum to giving the opponent big momentum. Need to push at least one across there.

With the 2-3-4 hitters up. That's when I decided to change to Lakers-Pels. That wind-blown popup behind 2B in the B6 could turn out to be a killer.
Jaybird

Postby jaykorver » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:25 pm

Grand slam in the top of the 9th for Creighton to take a 6-3 lead!!!

jaykorver

Postby BirdBoy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 pm

Nebraska will have nightmares of Teddy Deters for the next few months...
BirdBoy

Postby cufan10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 pm

6-4 Jays win! Made it interesting in the bottom of the ninth but got it done. Now need to win some conference games.
cufan10

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 pm

10 out of 12 over the red!

We own them on the diamond too
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Jays Sports